Been wanting to share this... Local Fw-190 crashed

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
Jetguy06
Airman First Class

Post by Jetguy06 »

Hey guys. First and foremost, Merry (early) Christmas!!

Every time I visit, I keep forgetting to share this, but I've remembered now.

The FBO that I fly out of in Baton Rouge had an original FW-190A-8 owned by the FBO's owner, and a good friend of mine, Don Hansen.

Back in early October, the Focke-Wulf crashed on an aborted take off when the engine developed problems on the take off roll.

Fortunately, the pilot, who I understand was a German test pilot that I've met many times but can't remember his name, was not hurt, though the Focke-Wulf will have to be rebuilt from the propeller all the way to the engine firewall forward of the control panel.

Mr. Don will be rebuilding the plane, AFAIK, but it will take a good bit of time to get it back into flying condition.

I've posted the link to the report on a local news station, as well as the FBO's page, since there is regularly-updated info on the progress of the Focke-Wulf on the home page there. Let's hope it gets flying again soon!!

http://www.wbrz.com/news/vintage-plane- ... r-airport/

http://www.paiaero.com/
"The ultimate responsibility of the pilot is to fulfill the dreams of the countless millions of earthbound ancestors who could only stare skyward... and wish." -Unknown

cflord
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Been wanting to share this... Local Fw-190 crashed

Post by cflord »

Sorry to see such a historic old airplane damaged. On a good note, the pilot is safe and the plane is repairable. Thanks for sharing the news.

Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down!

Ret SMSgt Cliff Lord - C-130 Flight Engineer & Mechanic :(

Jetguy06
Airman First Class

Post by Jetguy06 »

No problem, Cflord. I've got several pictures with the aircraft. Thankfully, Mr. Don still has his T-6 that he flies pretty often. My flight instructor also has his rating in the T-6, and was getting his type rating for t he Focke-Wulf before it crashed. I've been given the offer to go up in the Texan, but I unfortunately can't afford it at the moment. I (stupidly) passed on an opportunity to go up with my instructor in an L-39 a few years back when it was on temporary loan to our flight school. I was (and still am) working on my instrument rating, and I didn't want the distraction of an L-39 flight. If we ever get the plane back, though, I won't pass up the opportunity again!!
"The ultimate responsibility of the pilot is to fulfill the dreams of the countless millions of earthbound ancestors who could only stare skyward... and wish." -Unknown

Bomber_12th
Technical Sergeant

Post by Bomber_12th »

I remember seeing the news of this when it originally happened. Just for clarification, while the aircraft is described by the owners as being an authentic/original restored example, it only contains some original Focke Wulf parts, as the majority of the aircraft/airframe is one of the Flugwerk replica kits (different internal construction (especially the wing), different engine/engine mount/prop/cowl). Unfortunately the Flugwerk 190's haven't had too great of a track-record for reliability. The former French-based example had to ditch in the sea following a prop failure some years back (under rebuild to fly again). Bob Russell's example had a landing gear collapse (now since repaired/flying again/recently purchased by Jerry Yagen). Dan Kirkland's example had I believe a brake get stuck on landing roll-out, resulting in a ground-loop with gear collapse and extensive damage a few years back (nearing completion of repairs, to fly again in 2015). All of the Flugwerk 'kits' were provided without systems, leaving it up to each individual owner to outfit them however they desired.

Here is a great article about just one of the Flugwerk replicas, the one owned by Rudy Frasca and displayed/flown by Planes of Fame at Chino. It describes just how much it takes to complete one of these 'kits' into a reliable flying machine (parts/systems from a variety of different aircraft sources). It also has some great comparisons as written by Steve Hinton, the only person who has flown both a Flugwerk replica and the real deal (the authentic Fw-190A-5 owned by the Flying Heritage Collection - the original, and these replicas, are quite a breed apart). http://www.warbirds-eaa.org/featured/1F ... 20Wulf.pdf

Here is Bob Russell's Flugwerk 190 after it came to grief some years back (now flying again, recently purchased by Jerry Yagen).

Here is Dan Kirkland's Flugwerk 190 after it came to grief a few years back (now nearing completion of rebuild, to fly in 2015).

And here is the former French-based example, as it was being pulled from the water following a ditching (a result of a prop failure during an airshow - currently in store/under rebuild at MeierMotors).

John Terrell

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

I've still yet to see a 190 fly. I plan to try and change that this year!

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Bomber_12th
Technical Sergeant

Post by Bomber_12th »

Lewis - A2A wrote:I've still yet to see a 190 fly. I plan to try and change that this year!

cheers,
Lewis
It's a shame that Tom Blair's Flugwerk FW-190 (ex G-FWAB) never flew when it was based at Duxford - they ran into a heap of problems trying to get it certified through the CAA. It ended up getting sold to a German owner who has been operating it in a (fictional) silver paint scheme, registered D-FWMV.

These are all of the Fw-190 (Focke Wulf) and FW-190's (Flugwerk) flying in the world at this present time (and near to it):

Focke Wulf Fw-190A-5 N19027 based at Paine Field, Washington, owned by the Flying Heritage Collection (the only original example flying at this time (though there are a few other originals under restoration to fly))
Flugwerk FW-190A-8 ZK-RFR based at Omaka, New Zealand, owned by Chariots of Fire (former D-FWWC)
Flugwerk FW-190A-9 N190RF based at Chino, California and Urbana, Illinois, owned by Rudy Frasca, on loan to Planes of Fame
Flugwerk FW-190A-8 N447FW based at Madras, Oregon, owned by the Erickson Collection (best paint scheme of them all, in my opinion (previously owned by Jerry Yage))
Flugwerk FW-190A-8 N190BR based at Virginia Beach, Virginia, owned by Jerry Yagen/Military Aviation Museum (recently purchased from Bob Russell)
Flugwerk FW-190A-8 D-FWMV based in Germany
Flugwerk FW-190A-8 D-FWJS based in Germany
Flugwerk FW-190A-8 N4190 based at Baton Rouge, Louisiana, owned by Don Hanson (recently damaged in runway over-run (subject of this thread))
Flugwerk FW-190A-5 N190DK based at Casa Grande, Arizona, owned by Dan Kirkland (undergoing engine runs and final work - to fly in 2015)
John Terrell

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

I'd love to see an FW-190 up close. WW2 fighters are still my favourite types of planes, so it's great to see so many flying now, and so many under restoration.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

Chunk
Technical Sergeant

Post by Chunk »

I've seen the Würger at the FHC start its BMW, but the weather prevented it from flying that day. I might make up trip back there this summer to try and change my luck.

There is also an A3, my favorite subtype, somewhere back on the east coast, that's awaiting restoration. Not sure if it's for flight or not though.

The 190 is my favorite aircraft of all time, followed closely by the Jug. C'mon Lewis...make my 190 Accu-Sim dream come true. ;)

Bomber_12th
Technical Sergeant

Post by Bomber_12th »

Jerry Yagen/Military Aviation Museum, located in Virginia Beach, owns the following originals:

Fw 190A-3 (WkNr. 5467) - stored/pending restoration
Fw 190A-8 (WkNr. 350177) - stored/pending restoration
Fw 190A-8 (WkNr. 732183) - currently on public (static) display at the Military Aviation Museum (https://www.flickr.com/photos/thoog/10837767465).
Fw 190D-9 (WkNr. 211028) - described as being under restoration to fly powered with an original Jumo engine.

Jerry Yagen/Military Aviation Museum also owns one of the three Flugwerk FW-190D-9's built - the only one completed thus-far - fitted with an Allison engine. Although it has been taxi-tested, it has never been flown. It has been stated that, once some of the other Yagen/MAM projects are finished, it will be sent out and be re-engined with an original Jumo engine.

As has also been mentioned before, the Collings Foundation has both the Fw 190F-8 (WkNr. 931862) "White 1" and the Fw 190D-9 (WkNr. 210096) under restoration to fly at this time, both to be powered by original engine types.
John Terrell

Chunk
Technical Sergeant

Post by Chunk »

Yep, the A3 at MAM is the one I was thinking of. Thanks Bomber!

Also, that article that talked to Steve Hinton about the differences between the original Fw190 and the FlugWerks bird, was very informative. As was the part about how the Würger has to constantly be "flown." Gave me an opportunity to hop back in the Classics-Hangar FSX rendition, and actually appreciate the constant attention that the flight controls need.

It's a good time to be a Focke-Wulf fan. :)

Cheers,

Ron

Bomber_12th
Technical Sergeant

Post by Bomber_12th »

I've been fortunate enough to cross paths with the Rudy Frasca/Planes of Fame Flugwerk FW-190 on a couple of occasions, at Oshkosh a few years back and at the Planes of Fame airshow last May. Of the Flugwerk replicas, it's got the best looking cowl, in order to fit the R-2800 - the only Flugwerk FW-190A that isn't powered with an ASh-82 engine. The stock Flugwerk cowl, as seen on most all of the other Flugwerk FW-190A's, is quite different in contour/shape than the originals.

(Note the signatures, including Bud Anderson and Bob Hoover.)

John Terrell

Chunk
Technical Sergeant

Post by Chunk »

Her Bomber, are you going to the Planes of Fame show this year as well? I'm in Northern California, but I'm thinking of making the trip down there for the show.

Bomber_12th
Technical Sergeant

Post by Bomber_12th »

Chunk, unfortunately I won't be able to make it this coming year - my current plan is to hopefully just make it over to Oshkosh this year, something I haven't done for a few years now (as I'm especially interested in viewing up-close some of the new warbird restorations that will likely be there this coming year). This past April/May I was out at Chino for about a week, leading up to and during their airshow, with a couple friends of mine who are involved with warbirds locally (restoration/flying) - we put over 700-miles on our little rental car, taking in all of the warbird museums and restoration shops which we knew of/had connections to surrounding the LA region - Planes of Fame, Fighter Rebuilders, Yanks, Aero Trader, and the CAF SoCal Wing (unfortunately we never fit in a visit to the Palm Springs Air Museum, though all of those warbirds are quite familiar as they used to be based here in Minnesota up until the mid-late 1990's) - it's really spectacular, all of what's available to be seen out there! Despite all of that, however, the best experience of the trip was being invited out to visit Aero Trader's extensive desert storage facility (warbird junkyard, so-to-speak).
John Terrell

Chunk
Technical Sergeant

Post by Chunk »

That sounds like a great trip! Maybe I'll catch you another year then. :)

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”