Lights on ground and latest update

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
terrydew
Airman First Class

Lights on ground and latest update

Post by terrydew »

The latest update included a fix for the landing lights. Is that related to the enable/disable light on ground question you are asked in the update installation process? I had assumed it was the same problem and was surprised to see the question again.

Also for P3D for both the piper and the c172, if you select enable and try to use the DCOC OCULUS RIFT plugin, you get black screens but if you move the mouse over a click spot you see the tool tip? If you select disable to the install question, you get good screens in the rift for both?

What causes the light on ground/click spot issue? Is it a P3D or A2A issue. What good would the landing light fix in the last update do if you can't see the lights on the ground.

IMO the Rift should add a lot of demand for accurate aircraft like your c172 and piper as you feel like you are sitting in the real thing! It is worth your time to figure out the above issues.

Terry

lonewulf47
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: Lights on ground and latest update

Post by lonewulf47 »

terrydew wrote:The latest update included a fix for the landing lights. Is that related to the enable/disable light on ground question you are asked in the update installation process? I had assumed it was the same problem and was surprised to see the question again.
Also for P3D for both the piper and the c172, if you select enable and try to use the DCOC OCULUS RIFT plugin, you get black screens but if you move the mouse over a click spot you see the tool tip? If you select disable to the install question, you get good screens in the rift for both?
What causes the light on ground/click spot issue? Is it a P3D or A2A issue. What good would the landing light fix in the last update do if you can't see the lights on the ground.
IMO the Rift should add a lot of demand for accurate aircraft like your c172 and piper as you feel like you are sitting in the real thing! It is worth your time to figure out the above issues.
No, the questions you are referring to are about whether you want to use the advanced or default lights. This has primarily no connection to the fact, that prior to the update they were not visible in P3D. This was an internal bug which is solved by the update. There are still 2 different light setups in both the C172 and the Cherokee. The advanced lighting can under certain conditions lead to losing clickspots. The reason for that - AFAIK - is still under investigation. That's why the default option is still offered.

I cannot answer your question about the Oculus Rift Plugin, however as far as I have seen and experienced in hands-on demos, while it may open a new way of simulation in the future, at the present stage it is far from being ready to be used in advanced simulation. You will have to wait until the devs will take care of this further development. I personally doubt that it will be in the very near future.
Oskar

ASUS MAXIMUS XI Hero, i9-9900K 8 Core OC 5.2 GHz, WIN10-64Bit, 32GB DDR5, Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti Strix, 2x 2 TB SSD M.2, 1x 2 TB SSD, 1 monitor 4k, AS4, EFB on remote PC

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

For the life of me, I can't see how one could operate a complex simulator while wearing an Occulus Rift. I have used it, and it is a revolutionary immersion interface for products with simple interfaces where all controls can be manipulated without ever shifting your hands from one control to another.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

lonewulf47
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by lonewulf47 »

Oracle427 wrote:For the life of me, I can't see how one could operate a complex simulator while wearing an Occulus Rift. I have used it, and it is a revolutionary immersion interface for products with simple interfaces where all controls can be manipulated without ever shifting your hands from one control to another.
Yeah, IMHO we will have to wait for data gloves and higher resolution displays before Oculus Rift will ever gain momentum.
Oskar

ASUS MAXIMUS XI Hero, i9-9900K 8 Core OC 5.2 GHz, WIN10-64Bit, 32GB DDR5, Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti Strix, 2x 2 TB SSD M.2, 1x 2 TB SSD, 1 monitor 4k, AS4, EFB on remote PC

terrydew
Airman First Class

Post by terrydew »

A little confused on the advanced vs regular lights. If you select disable to the question at installation will the landing lights show up on the ground?

I have to disagree. Unless the serious sim market is a lot smaller than I thonk then you will see a hand solution for controls within a year. I can't quite understand how you could not consider the Rift light years ahead of looking at a monitor. I have tried the three monitor setup and the 65 inch tv setup and the rift beats both hands down even at the current resolution. I am not a fan boy and was skeptical until I tried it.

lonewulf47
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by lonewulf47 »

terrydew wrote:A little confused on the advanced vs regular lights. If you select disable to the question at installation will the landing lights show up on the ground?
All landing lights will have ground illumination. For the default lights however it needs the proper setup within FSX/P3D.
terrydew wrote:I have to disagree. Unless the serious sim market is a lot smaller than I thonk then you will see a hand solution for controls within a year. I can't quite understand how you could not consider the Rift light years ahead of looking at a monitor. I have tried the three monitor setup and the 65 inch tv setup and the rift beats both hands down even at the current resolution. I am not a fan boy and was skeptical until I tried it.
It's a matter of taste. For mine it's still too low resolution. We should not go back from present standards which means a minimum of 1920 x 1080 pixels (per eye of course). Otherwise the instruments are too pixelated and hardly readable unless you move your head closer to each needed instrument. Reminds me a bit to being short sighted :D For me the present way of simulating 3D pictures is not yet convincing. Neither FSX nor P3D are capable of delivering genuine 3D renderings. My guess is that X-Plane will be first as it has more graphics power.
Oskar

terrydew
Airman First Class

Post by terrydew »

I agree current resolution is to low and may need to be close to 4k. My problem is the c172 and piper are so good that I can't go back to the standard ones. I am looking for the most realistic experience I can find. I just think that because realism is A2A strength, it would benefit to be a leader in the VR wave. Hardest thing to see a fix for now is the hand control issue but it would be solved sooner if an aircraft supplier worked to fully integrate some of the possible solutions.

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180 Tech Support”