Turbo-props, jets?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Jason210
Staff Sergeant

Turbo-props, jets?

Post by Jason210 »

There's been quite a few posts expressing interest in propliners such as the DC3 and DC4, and also bombers such as the Lanc, B-24 and even the Short Stirling! Of course it would be nice to have these aircraft, but to my mind they don't offer much in terms of new experience. Basically they are all piston engined props. A Lancaster is four merlins, same enegine as in the spitfire, and DC-3 is two Wright Cylones, same engine as the B-17, and so on. I suppose these would be easier to make for A2A as they could recycle parts, however-

I was gald to see that A2A are developing an F4 Phantom, and I hope they accumsim it too. Definitely on my list because it offers something new in A2A models. And this is what I'd love see more of. It would also be nice to have a turboprop - again that would be a new experience if it were accusim modelled. And what better choice for retro fans than the Vickers Viscount?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vickers_Viscount

Just my thoughts :-)

What are yours?

Intel Core i9-9900K @ 3.6GHz
nVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
32GB RAM
Windows 10 Professional

Sayuuk
Airman First Class

Re: Turbo-props, jets?

Post by Sayuuk »

Jason210 wrote:There's been quite a few posts expressing interest in propliners such as the DC3 and DC4, and also bombers such as the Lanc, B-24 and even the Short Stirling! Of course it would be nice to have these aircraft, but to my mind they don't offer much in terms of new experience. Basically they are all piston engined props. A Lancaster is four merlins, same enegine as in the spitfire, and DC-3 is two Wright Cylones, same engine as the B-17, and so on. I suppose these would be easier to make for A2A as they could recycle parts, however-

I was gald to see that A2A are developing an F4 Phantom, and I hope they accumsim it too. Definitely on my list because it offers something new in A2A models. And this is what I'd love see more of. It would also be nice to have a turboprop - again that would be a new experience if it were accusim modelled. And what better choice for retro fans than the Vickers Viscount?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vickers_Viscount

Just my thoughts :-)

What are yours?
I agree, what's in the pipe right now seems to be the too similar iteration of one SingleProp-Fighter after another.
Sure the engine is a little different, but after a few hours of flying its the same again, no new challenges with regards to navigation or any systemwise new things...

I think you should start with building a base of different aircraft types and only then start to fill the gaps that specific models leave.

The P51 is going to be a mix of P47 and Spitfire. Through its iconic reappearence on flight shows one might justify building it.

But why build a P40? What's the big difference?

What I believe you should build (to satisfy a bigger userbase and to attract additional customers)
items in () should be done later

WWII:
- a fighter (P47, Spit) - already done
(- a heavy fighter)
(- a medium bomber)
- a heavy bomber (B17) - already done

Post-WWII:
- a fighter
- a bomber
- a civilian plane (B377) - already done

ColdWar/Vietnam-Era:
- a fighter
- a bomber
- a civilian plane

I think there are too many great planes out there that deserve your kind of attention to detail, so please don't just use it on more and more similar ones...

My 50ct

Stefan
ImageImage

Jason210
Staff Sergeant

Post by Jason210 »

Sayuuk wrote: ColdWar/Vietnam-Era:
- a fighter
- a bomber
- a civilian plane
Indeed...there were some really interesting cold-war bombers, such as the B36, Vulcan, Valliant and the Victor.

32GB RAM
Windows 10 Professional

pjc747
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pjc747 »

Spartan Executive!

This is one of three that exist that are painted instead of polished:

Jason210
Staff Sergeant

Post by Jason210 »

pjc747 wrote:Spartan Executive!
This is actually the kind of Aircraft I didn't mean. Again, a beautiful aircraft but how different really would it be to manage that engine compared to what already exists in A2A products? hence the post title "Turbo-props, jets".

32GB RAM
Windows 10 Professional

Sayuuk
Airman First Class

Post by Sayuuk »

Jason210 wrote:
pjc747 wrote:Spartan Executive!
This is actually the kind of Aircraft I didn't mean. Again, a beautiful aircraft but how different really would it be to manage that engine compared to what already exists in A2A products? hence the post title "Turbo-props, jets".
Jason, I've got to say: it's a joy finally hearing someone say what I've thought for the last several weeks =P
ImageImage

karaya1
Airman

Post by karaya1 »

So.. You vant something new eh!
Vell how about re-inventing the Arado 234B Blitz and accusimming it. Early jet, twin, great view for sight seeing and delightfull to fly according to "Mr Brown".
Can you imagine the fun flying such an iconic bird while managing a couple of cranky early turbojets that were good for about 50hrs, if you treated them really really nice.
Also the flight dynamics would be really interesting as these birds were essentially under powered.

Cheers
Paul

pjc747
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pjc747 »

As cool as jets are, the reciprocating aircraft are much more fun. With spinning propellors, great sound and smoke they have a life of their own and are much more captivating than the jets. Not to say a 747 is boring, just not as cool as a radial engine, or straight one for that matter.

Jason210
Staff Sergeant

Post by Jason210 »

pjc747 wrote:As cool as jets are, the reciprocating aircraft are much more fun. With spinning propellors, great sound and smoke they have a life of their own and are much more captivating than the jets. Not to say a 747 is boring, just not as cool as a radial engine, or straight one for that matter.
I think it's true to say that modern jets and modern aircraft in general are boring. Once you've seen one modern passenger jet, you've seen them all. I fly a lot with work and sometimes I don't even know what plane I'm sitting on until I look at the safety card. Actually, I recently travelled on an Embraer 190 and with Niki Airlines and that was a bit different in that the aisles were only four seats wide, it had bigger windows and it climbed like a fighter jet to over 40,000ft. Really nice flight. But generally I think new aircraft are as boring as hell, with their totally glass flightdecks and GPSs.

But if you go back to the days of the DH Comet and the Vickers Viscount, then these offer a lof of more fun. No computers or anything, and old style cockpits that stink of bakelite, leather and shellac, and require extensive flight engineers panels. Even more spartan were the early military jets and bombers, such as the AVRO Vulcan and Victor. Which is why I'm very glad to hear about the F4 that's in thw works and am looking forward to that.

I've always said that the B-36 would be a really challenging aircraft to fly, with its 6 R-4360 engines and 4 jets. Best of both worlds huh?
Last edited by Jason210 on 13 Mar 2011, 11:15, edited 2 times in total.

32GB RAM
Windows 10 Professional

Jason210
Staff Sergeant

Post by Jason210 »

karaya1 wrote:So.. You vant something new eh!
Vell how about re-inventing the Arado 234B Blitz and accusimming it. Early jet, twin, great view for sight seeing and delightfull to fly according to "Mr Brown".
Can you imagine the fun flying such an iconic bird while managing a couple of cranky early turbojets that were good for about 50hrs, if you treated them really really nice.
Also the flight dynamics would be really interesting as these birds were essentially under powered.

Cheers
Paul
´
Those Luftwaffe jets were captured in Norway by the British who then gave them to the USA in exchange for an interview with Hermann Göring :-)

32GB RAM
Windows 10 Professional

badaboom
Senior Airman

Post by badaboom »

As jets go,I'm very,very excited and Happy A2A are doing the F-104 and F-4 Phantom.I think an Early model Mig would fit right in!! {hint/hint] :lol:

A B200GT Turboprop would be a fantastic A2A Accu-sim Aircraft for FSX IMHO. :D

Patrick

pjc747
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pjc747 »

A beech King Air is too modern for many of our tastes as A2A customers, with the F-4 Phantom really pushing it. It'll be cool though. I'd rather see more civilian transports like the Spartan, Beech Staggerwing, or Cessna 195.
Last edited by pjc747 on 13 Mar 2011, 12:55, edited 1 time in total.

badaboom
Senior Airman

Post by badaboom »

pjc747,YOUR opinion is only ONE of many here at A2A forums,Remember, YOU DO NOT SPEAK FOR A2A as far as what is too or isn't too modern for A2A to create.

The OP asked for opinions on "Jets or Turboprops" which incidentally none of the aircraft in your previous post have anything to do with this thread. I believe you have "several" posts in the forum concerning at least one of the aircraft.Do you really need to bring EVERY thread OT with this aircraft? I don't mean to be rude,but this IS getting a bit old now.
Patrick

pjc747
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pjc747 »

You just said it, OPINIONS. This is my opinion, and what I think they'll do based on what they've done before. I'm sorry I have a plane or plane type I want, I'm sorry you've decided to use me as your scapegoat. Besides, I don't criticize all of YOUR opinions....

As a side note, this would be an awesome plane to have: The Curtiss C-46 Commando

Workers load a new Ferrari onto a Delta C-46 Commando

Sayuuk
Airman First Class

Post by Sayuuk »

Guys, calm down...!

I agree that a modern jet is... not something A2A should do, but the OP never wanted that (as far as I know)

Jet does not mean 737...

I think that what A2A seemed to plan a while ago (F4, F104) should get a higher priority, instead of one piston-fighter after another.
Nobody's asking for a "fly-yourself-airplane", I think we all agree that there are companies for that (especially PMDG), that are already established in that market and judging by the J41 are producing models that need almost no improvements anymore.

On the other hand the market for early jet fighters and bombers is so far mostly being served by AlphaSim/Virtavia, and we all know what kind of quality their work is...

I think people who say that jets are boring too fly are mislead... the kind of complexity is actually quite similar. The engine in the Spit is very realistic, but very soon handling the cooling and RPM etc. becomes a routine with nothing much to do in cruise.

Nobody is saying "never build a piston-fighter again", we are merely asking to not restrict the portfolio to thise similar airplanes.

Spit=P51=P40=P47... they all have small quirks of their own, but for the most part they are almost identical...
ImageImage

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”