GPS?

Born to fly
Shalomar
Staff Sergeant

GPS?

Post by Shalomar »

I often fly multi-player with short layovers between fairly short legs. So a GPS is pretty much essential to get the heading for the next field quickly without hassling anyone else. Is there a spare window to put the GPS into like the B377?

Donald
Virtual Avgas fits my budget...

GoRND
Airman Basic

Re: GPS?

Post by GoRND »

Shift+5. The old style GPS :P
Last edited by GoRND on 10 Sep 2009, 07:59, edited 1 time in total.

guenseli
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by guenseli »

hello,

1) search for the panel.cfg of your Cub (...\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\A2A_PiperJ3\panel)
and backup it!!!

2) open it with editor or notepad or sth like that

3) scroll to this
-----------------------------
[Window01]
Background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=1,1
position=0
nomenu=1
visible=0
ident=20
sizable=0
--------------------------

4) replace it through this:
---------------------------
[Window01]
size_mm=456,378
window_size=0.5
position=8
BACKGROUND_COLOR=0,0,0
VISIBLE=0
ident=GPS_PANEL

gauge00=fs9gps!gps_500, 0,0
--------------------------------------

5) safe the panel.cfg.
GPS must open now with shift+2
It the GPS 500

I'm honest: I have not tested this, but I'm sure that should work....

Don't do things you are not sure about, what you doing!
Don't blame A2A for this!
Backup!
And the most important: don't blame me!!!!

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

Wouldn't it be possible to reference the GPS 296 instead of the 500? Seems like that'd be a little more Cub-like...
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

Tako_Kichi
BDG & A2A

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Alan_A wrote:Wouldn't it be possible to reference the GPS 296 instead of the 500? Seems like that'd be a little more Cub-like...
All you have to do is replace this line in the data above:
  • gauge00=fs9gps!gps_500, 0,0
With this line:
  • gauge00=fs9gps!gps_295, 0,0
That will then give you the hand-held GPS unit instead of the panel mounted one.

The 500 unit has a few more features than the hand-held version (like GPS approaches) but the 295 is better suited to the Cub as you say.
Larry
E8400 Core2Duo 3 Ghz, 4 Gb DDR2 PC6400 RAM, GTX460 (1 Gb), Realtek HD O/B audio, XP Pro (SP3)
Saitek X52 HOTAS, Saitek Yoke/Throttle, Saitek Rudder Pedals, TIR 5 Pro, LG 22" WS LCD, B-K Gamer

snb
Airman

Post by snb »

I think, what we realy need for online is Transponder and Airport Chart Gauge v2.
...And if you want a "authentic" GPS - use this :-D

Markoz
Senior Airman

Post by Markoz »

If you want to use the FSX 295 GPS you need to change the window size as well because the 500 is more square than the 295.
Instead of: size_mm=456,378

Like this:
//==============================
[Window01]
BACKGROUND_COLOR=0,0,0
size_mm=545,354
window_size=0.5
position=8
BACKGROUND_COLOR=0,0,0
VISIBLE=0
ident=GPS_PANEL

gauge00=fs9gps!gps_295, 0,0

//==============================

I don't use the window_size=0.5

But that is entirely up to you.

Mark
Intel Core i7 3770K | 16GB DDR3 1600 | Nvidia GTX470 | 24" LCD Monitor | 2 x 1TB HDD, 1 x 2TB HDD | Windows 7 Profession 64 bit & Window 8 64 bit

ImageImageImage

Shalomar
Staff Sergeant

Post by Shalomar »

Thanx Guensili and everyone else!

Shift-5 has its uses, but quickly finding a heading to the code of the airport the host just said was the next hop is not among them.

Just got the Cub yesterday... Heidi is starting to compliment some of my landings! But not the three point ones yet...

Donald

Alky
Senior Airman

Post by Alky »

guenseli wrote:
I'm honest: I have not tested this, but I'm sure that should work....
So far every time I've changed the panel.cfg in any way at all, the prop stops working. The engine is still running and the plane is perfectly flyable, but the prop doesn't spin. As soon as I put the original panel.cfg back, all is well again.

Also, what's the secret to showing the passenger, I've activated her and can hear the comments, but no body in the front seat ??

Shalomar
Staff Sergeant

Post by Shalomar »

My prop is still spinning fine after putting in a pop-up GPS. As for your lady friend, do you have "Advanced Animations" checked?

Donald

Aztec73
Airman

Post by Aztec73 »

I use EZ-GPS by Abacus, it is the best program I have found, it is very simple to use and you can add it to any plane in your Hangar. It is not only a GPS but a flight planner, moving map everything can be operated from the cockpit, you can resize it and drag it into the rear seat if you like. My first choice If I was looking.

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

Aztec73 wrote:I use EZ-GPS by Abacus, it is the best program I have found, it is very simple to use and you can add it to any plane in your Hangar. It is not only a GPS but a flight planner, moving map everything can be operated from the cockpit, you can resize it and drag it into the rear seat if you like. My first choice If I was looking.
Good program - I like having the road information available, especially in a Cub...

Haven't tried it in the A2A Cub yet. How's performance when you have it installed? I've found it to be pretty demanding in the past, so was wondering - any impact?
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

Markoz
Senior Airman

Post by Markoz »

Alan_A wrote:I've found it to be pretty demanding in the past, so was wondering - any impact?
If we are talking EZ-GPS 4 then it's the same for me. :)
Intel Core i7 3770K | 16GB DDR3 1600 | Nvidia GTX470 | 24" LCD Monitor | 2 x 1TB HDD, 1 x 2TB HDD | Windows 7 Profession 64 bit & Window 8 64 bit

ImageImageImage

Aztec73
Airman

Post by Aztec73 »

I have not found it to be any different on the FPS if that's what were talking about, My system is not that hot, I have 4 gigs ram 3.3 processor dual core, I have had no problems with it.

Shalomar
Staff Sergeant

Post by Shalomar »

I am very happy with the Reality XP 430. The one niggle is that the database is a little different than FSX, though it has rarely been an issue. I like it because it interacts seamlessly with most virtual avionics in FSX, on runways with WAAS approaches the GPS provides a glide-slope which opens up many more airports for IFR ops

Reality XP GPS can interact with both C++ and XML HSIs, but only XML standard VOR gauges.

The 430 does not interact with the needles in the Lotussim L-39 and the Cub has no needles, so I am happy with the default GPS in them.

Donald

new reply

Return to “Piper J-3 Cub”