Possible to do list?

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
new reply
Point-man
Staff Sergeant

Possible to do list?

Post by Point-man »

I noticed over at the simhq forums the question was asked " how the damage models were". I've asked about them here as well. My question is to what Bader said to the fact of " they are good but not to the point of taking a screenshot and saying wow look at that" or something like that. Sorry If I miss qouted you a little. Bader said that it just wasn't a priority right now. Will there be a chance for that to be on a to do list? I know that it isn't everything or the point of the sim, however I love great looking graphics and love being wow'd by something that happened...

The more info I see on this sim that more I can't wait to get it!!! I do have one more question if I may. Why do there seem to be more screens posted over at simhq than here? Not that it's really any of my business but I would just figure that you would post some of those great looking shots here and some new ones hint hint... Ok enough for now, thanks for your time gents. I now you are all probably pretty busy with the release coming soon. I'm sure that your sales will be great and all of your hard work will pay off and hopefully revive the flight sim community or at least add something to it besides CFS and IL2 for us WW2 flyers.

-S-
Point

P.S.
Any chance I could get a screenshot of something being shot. I'm not sure if GMX is still holder of the key so to speak so if not I'll understand.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Pointman,

BOB2 has excellent damage modeling. Most games show visuals by swapping in different objects and textures when a certain amount of damage takes place. For example, if the left wing gets damaged, damage textures with bullet holes, ripped skin, etc. are swapped in. If it continues to get more damaged, more textures are brought in and eventually, the wing may detach and get replaced with a wing stub.

BOB2 does a pretty good job with the damage textures, ripped wings, etc. but where it really shines is the damage system beneath the surface.

BOB2 sub divides weapons into categories (Projectile, Fire, Explosion, and Shockwave). For example, bullets and cannon rounds are projectiles, bombs are Explosions, bombs emit Shockwaves, etc.

Objects in the world are made from different materials, and those materials have an inherent susceptibility to damage from different types of weapons. Objects in the world are made of things like wood, plastic, metal, brick, concrete, fuel, etc. This is why you can dump thousands of bullets into certain structures in BOB and they damage the structure realistically, in other words, you won’t mow down large hangars with machine guns.

BOB2’s aircraft are built with many components like inner wing, outer wing, horizontal stabilizer, rudder, canopy, fuel tanks (fuel, no fuel, self sealing, etc.), engine, etc. This means if you put your bullets in just the right place (not that many can do this, but it is modeled), a realistic amount of damage is taken. One stray bullet that hits the pilot can take the plane down, or 100 hits to the fuselage may pass through the skin harmlessly.

BOB2’s flight modeling is tied in as well, as is the bail out sequence, so when you get riddled with bullets and find your controls have gone bad to the point you can no longer keep your aircraft flying, you have those precious seconds to get out.

Engines take damage and can last long enough to get you home, or maybe not. It may suddenly catch fire after a long struggle. Even more, what is so special about BOB2 is the AI and they way it deals with its own damage. AI pilots have sight limitations based on the aircraft they are in. You can sneak up on some, and they also can sneak up on you. The enemy tries to use the sun and you can do the same. If the battle is going poorly, the enemy may decide to try and flee the scene. There are no tricks to enemy AI. They don’t know you are there unless they see you or unless they see tracer’s flying by them. This makes for the proper hunting (and hunted) experience in the air. Another great thing about BOB2 is how vast the skies are. When you see a group of planes, you really have no way of knowing who they are. You look at them, try to decide what they are doing, and maybe even use your radio to determine who they might be. I've never experienced these kinds of things until BOB2, and I am grateful for that.

The real magic (and difficulty) of BOB2 is how everything ties together in balance to give the whole experience. If you are to compare BOB2 point for point against other air combat games, there will be areas it shows weakness and others strengths, but while there are fantastic features in BOB2 (campaign, AI, cockpits, atmosphere, weather, weapons, etc.), it’s the entire package that is the best selling point of this game. BOB2 will continue to surprise even those who have played it for months. I must have bailed out of aircraft about 50 times in the past three months, and just two days ago I experienced, for the first time, a chute that failed to open. My guy screamed, kicked, etc. and plummeted to his demise. I may never experience this again, but these little hidden jewels are hidden all over the BOB2 world.

However, just realize BOB2 is a game with limitations like any other, and I know different things are more important to different people. My only hope is everyone can experience just some of the magic that is so abundant inside this game.

EDIT:
I hope to get some small movies out soon showing things getting shot up.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Buzz
Airman First Class

Post by Buzz »

If I wasn't sold on BOB2 before, I sure would be after that post Scott. Great stuff.. :D
Buzz

AC
A2A First Lieutenant

Post by AC »

Scott,

If it is feasible to carry all those features over into the upcoming B-17III, The Legend Returns, it (and Shockwave) will become a living legend in their own right!

AC

Point-man
Staff Sergeant

Post by Point-man »

Thanks for the great post Scoot!!! I agree with Buzz 110% if I had already wanted this sim I sure would now... lol* It shows that you guys have put alot of work into BOB2 with the new models and all of that jazz. I think the first thing that hooked me was in the movie that shows the ground impacts from bombs or planes. When I saw that I only thought WOW... When you talk about the enemies is it possible to break up the formation or should I say anyhow seperate them from each other as such get straglers. I think I saw that in another post but wasn't sure. One thing that I've never seen in any sim was that say a 109 was shot in the wing and hit a hydrolic line the gear would drop. I'm not sure if that kind of thing is just that hard to do but I've never seen that. Would that be that hard to do in the sim? That isn't a question of saying that I want that, just a question of curiousity. Well thanks for the reply I appreciate it...

-S-
Point

Snuffy
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Snuffy »

Let me say this from my experience ... When the Stukas come in, in force, they really don't seem to do the dodge and weave thing but then a Stuka is an extremely slow aircraft anyway and I think any pilot flying one feeling he could out run a Hurricane or a Spit was probably on drugs of some kind, my belief is that they felt security in numbers since the tail gunners could concentrate on interceptors. Stukas do not try evasive manouvers that I have seen. And they drop like flys.

The 110s on the other hand and to some degree the 111s, do weave and bob in evasive manouvers, so separating one or two from the pack is always a good posibility. I have chased a stray 110 into the ground as he tried to get away from me.
Snuffy

Bader
BDG

Post by Bader »

Yes, aircraft with damaged hydraulics can be seen to drop a leg. But it is very rare. I have seen it only twice in 5 years of BoB1 and then BoB2.
"Ah yes, Michael (Parkinson)," Bader replied, "But these particular Fockers were Messerschmitts..."

Intel Core I7 920 @3.57GHz
GA-EX58-UD3R Mobo
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600MHz)
ATI HD4870 1024M
Win 7 Home
Saitek X52 Pro

JamesB
BDG

Post by JamesB »

Point-Man, check the "battle of britain ready to release" thread. The first shot shows a 109 being chased by a Spitfire, I was the Spitfire :D If you look carefully you will see that the 109 has the sarboard oleo partially dropped, only slightly but it varies according to damage. Sometimes it will be one, sometimes both. The guy in that shot did not last muck longer!

Point-man
Staff Sergeant

Post by Point-man »

Thanks for all the replys! I did look at the screenshot that you were talking about and I think I've looked at those and the ones over at simhq a 100 times a piece and I haven't ever noticed that the right gear is starting to come down. Thanks for pointing that out James!!! I tell ya what. I was certainly hooked on this one the first time I saw it but now it's a must have 150%... I love playing online but for the simple fact of showing that something like the gear dropping from hits is modeled in this sim... Ha, I'll suffer thanks... hehe :P

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”