Extent of damage modelling in BoB

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
Fritzgryphon
Airman

Extent of damage modelling in BoB

Post by Fritzgryphon »

I played the Rowans demo recently, and that hardly makes me pro. Was surprisingly fun, given how old it is. My only wish currently is that the 'hammer-on-sheet-metal' hit sound will be gone.

But I am curious how damage works in BoB (and consequently, might work in BoBII). Like, can airframe be blown, off, control surfaces, fuel fires, pilot hits, complexity of engine damage, cockpit damage, flight dynamics change by damage, etc.

Thx

the Dutchman
Technical Sergeant

Post by the Dutchman »

That's what i'm curious about too,i'd like to see some damage screenshots!

Point-man
Staff Sergeant

Post by Point-man »

I've been waiting for an answer to that same question for a long time now and still haven't got one. Even in the other topics that someone else or myself have posted this hasn't been answered. Now that it has gone gold is there anyway for this to be answered??? I too would like to know the extent of damage on the planes. What it looks like and the complexity of it. I would appreciate any info on this matter. If possible is there a screenshot that we might be able to take a look at?

Thanks
Point

Bader
BDG

Post by Bader »

All shots have to go via GMX still, I'm afraid.

Damage modelling influences your engine performance, and ability to fly. Landing a damaged plane can be a real challenge. Indeed just flying can be a challenge, especially under attack.

Do not expect planes to fall into thousands of animated tumbling parts, that's just not the focus of BoB. Falling aircraft do leave flaming wreckage sometimes, though.

Smoke and flame effects have been totally reworked over BoB1. Visually, bullet strikes are better rendered now.
"Ah yes, Michael (Parkinson)," Bader replied, "But these particular Fockers were Messerschmitts..."

Intel Core I7 920 @3.57GHz
GA-EX58-UD3R Mobo
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600MHz)
ATI HD4870 1024M
Win 7 Home
Saitek X52 Pro

the Dutchman
Technical Sergeant

Post by the Dutchman »

But damage is modelled,i mean bulletholes,flakdamage does appear?
And size of caliber does influence damage?

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

A single 20mm HE round will inflict many times more damage than a .303 round. All control surfaces (elevators, flaps, ailerons, rudder), aircraft parts (inner wing, outer wing, tail, etc.), pilot, and complete engine damage are all modeled. One good shot into the cockpit can either kill you or kill an enemy pilot.

There will be times when a quick burst lands a hit right in the engine, and the aircraft starts smoking, or you seem to be landing many hits, and the enemy keeps on flying. One of the best things about this game is when you are flying the luftwaffe and you receive engine damage while flying over Britain. You immediately have to decide whether to bail out or try crossing the channel. Pilots are recovered based on whether they are over enemy / friendly territory, have a shoreline in sight, or even land near a convoy. For about 15 min or so you are struggling with an engine that may be overheating and gradually losing power.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

the Dutchman
Technical Sergeant

Post by the Dutchman »

Thanks Scott,sounds all very good!
Does anone know when distributon starts overhere(Holland)?
I'm afraid this will be another one i'll have to wait for much longer than the rest of the world..

Bader
BDG

Post by Bader »

..and the great thing is that with the extended view distances available now you can see all the way to France from England. But you may just not make it if your engine is damaged. So you have to decide..
"Ah yes, Michael (Parkinson)," Bader replied, "But these particular Fockers were Messerschmitts..."

GA-EX58-UD3R Mobo
ATI HD4870 1024M
Win 7 Home
Saitek X52 Pro

IncendiaryLemon
Technical Sergeant

Post by IncendiaryLemon »

Bader wrote:..and the great thing is that with the extended view distances available now you can see all the way to France from England. But you may just not make it if your engine is damaged. So you have to decide..
How many miles (or KM) would that be crossing the channel?

Rickyboy
Airman First Class

Post by Rickyboy »

sounds promizing, but i wonder, like would you see bullet damage and flak damage to the extent of what oleg and co has modelled in PF, or will it be less advanced and detailed?
Hail Iron Maiden! The Gods of Heavy Metal!

JamesB
BDG

Post by JamesB »

The Channel is only about 25 miles across, so, given the height you can make it back with severe engine damage.

On the damage effects, BoB and BoB II have always modelled damage to the AC well, in fact, better than most simms, but the graphical representation of that damage could be better.

In terms of the AC model, BoB even models the fuel in the tanks and engine damage has far more stages than most sims.

I think that the graphical effects of damage need to be considered against the vast formations of aircraft flying and the intelligence of the AI. There is a very complicated damage model which is not always reperesented as well as it could be graphicaly, but as with life, everything is a compomise!

eric78
Airman First Class

Post by eric78 »

Yes the damage modeling was very good in bob1 better than il2 (for myself) but I hope a better graphic looking.
For example when I hit a 109 the damage visually don't apear (just a tiny smoke)and I dont know If I hit the tank or engine,I never saw a long flame in 109 or other fighter in bob1,I hope this sort of effect in bob2.

Different smoke will be cool also.

Thanks

PS:Whats happen for the "ufo"fighter wich appear sometime in bob1?(I have a plane in front of me and 1 s after it take 1000m a 1000kmh in 1s!

Lexx_Luthor
Senior Airman

Post by Lexx_Luthor »

Bader::
..and the great thing is that with the extended view distances available now you can see all the way to France from England. But you may just not make it if your engine is damaged. So you have to decide..
Awsum.

I am going to guess that most aircraft that were damaged never exhibited *visual* damage to the opponent, and if they did, it was usually the traditional smoke and sometimes flame. Tiny details of visual damage may make a "cool" gaming feature but more important is simulation of things like AI aircraft response to damage (say, shot out rudder control).

JamesB::
There is a very complicated damage model which is not always reperesented as well as it could be graphicaly, but as with life, everything is a compomise!
Excellent. Stay Focused. :)

Bader
BDG

Post by Bader »

Yes, James is right, the model is advanced, but you don't get to see from a distance that a 109 has a problem with elevator control. What you do see is that if you force him into low level turn fight he will expectedly flick out of a manoevre and spin into the ground. This can be a long while after he acquired damage. Those moments are precious in BoB.

They are very cool, but not in a "look at my shredded tailplane, it makes a great zoomed in screenshot" way. It's more subtle than that- damage can affect behaviour, sometimes when you least expect it.

GA-EX58-UD3R Mobo
ATI HD4870 1024M
Win 7 Home
Saitek X52 Pro

the Dutchman
Technical Sergeant

Post by the Dutchman »

Hmmm,so there is no damagefile representing damage graphically?

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”