Cowl Flaps, & #4 engine

BIG, double-deck, four-engine, medium to long range, high altitude, high speed, commercial transport airplane
new reply
GaryC
Airman

Cowl Flaps, & #4 engine

Post by GaryC »

I know you are supposed to maintain no more than 3" opening of the cowl flaps in flight, is it normal for them to Jam if opened too far?

Also, the #4 engine likes to start as soon as I move the start selector switch to 4, without pressing the start, or boost switch.

Beautiful aircraft though.

Gary

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Re: Cowl Flaps, & #4 engine

Post by CodyValkyrie »

GaryC wrote:I know you are supposed to maintain no more than 3" opening of the cowl flaps in flight, is it normal for them to Jam if opened too far?

Also, the #4 engine likes to start as soon as I move the start selector switch to 4, without pressing the start, or boost switch.

Beautiful aircraft though.

Gary
3 inches is the maximum that you should ever open your flaps in flight, takeoff, etc. On the ground, open them fully. They will jam if you have them too far open for too long.

There is already a fix in the works for the engine startup that you described.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Yoda
Airman First Class

Post by Yoda »

Gary,

Reduce the manifold pressure a bit if you can't keep the cylinder head temperature below the red line. I've also found that maintaining 170 KIAS in the climb helps with the cooling. If you let the speed drop off to even 155 KIAS, you will really have temperature problems when you keep the MP at the recommended max climb setting.

The 377 doesn't climb very fast at all, but at 170 KIAS and near MTOW, you should be able to get 700 fpm or so.
Respectfully,

Kurt

GaryC
Airman

Post by GaryC »

Thanks for the info guys...
cheers, Gary

Roadburner426
Technical Sergeant

Post by Roadburner426 »

I have experienced this engine starting problem that you have described, and I think what it amounts to after playing around with it is this. In the beginning it was hard for me to determine the placement of the magneto switches, and the starter button seems to stay pushed in until you hit the booster button. So when I was learning to start the plane and manage the engines I wound inadvertently turn all the magneto's on, and then when I would start moving the engine selector switch to the desired engine I wanted to start they would all start to turn over until I selected the engine I wanted and then the switch would remain in that position long enough to start. I have found though that as long as you make sure that starter button isn't pushed in, and that all 4 of the magneto switches are set to off that you will not get the engine start like this. Hopefully you will be able to try this and it will sovle your problem. It is a great aircraft that has really pushed the limits of FSX, and I know I am having a lot of fun pushing the limits. Haven't flown any passengers yet though as I am still trying to learn what I can and can't do and systems management.
S. Jordan
AM; United States Navy
FSX/P3Dc4 Hours: 3100 and counting! All A2A birds in the hangar except the 172.

new reply

Return to “Boeing 377 Stratocruiser”