Having some serious issues

A place where painters can discuss and share their work
Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Having some serious issues

Post by Ron Attwood »

Go and have a nice lie down. It'll all be OK in the morning.
"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled"

vortac12
Airman

Post by vortac12 »

So saving it as a BC3 doesn't seem to make it work. I have also noticed that it doesn't seem to be attaching the alpha channel. I have never had this many problems in the past. The new NVIDIA plug in is not as a straight forward

vortac12
Airman

Post by vortac12 »

bladerunner900 wrote: 30 Apr 2020, 07:57
vortac12 wrote: 30 Apr 2020, 01:42 9. This opens the NVIDIA Texture tools plug in options. I keep the settings that opens with which is format of BC7 RGBA 8bp Explicit Alpha and I select both for color and alpha and hit save.
I've done some research. I believe the BC7 format refers to the Intel Texture Works DDS plug-in and not the Nvidia. Unless of course Nvidia has released a new version for CC. I also think you need to save as BC3 8bpp (Linear) for DXT5 compatibility. That seems to work for me at least. BC7 file type colours are all wrong in sim when I use it in P3D v4.5.

Steve.
So after taking a closer look, it appears that the texture tool is exporting a file that is 0kb, so nothing can read it.

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

The only Nvidia plug-in I can find is the old 64bit Photoshop_Plugins_x64_8.55.0109.1800.exe, which worked in CC2015 with the settings I previously posted. The beta version of the Intel dds plug-in also worked at the time.

v1.0.4 of the Intel Texture Works plug-in is working for me in CS6 with these settings for DXT5 compatible textures.

Hopefully a current user of CC2020 will chime in, with how to use dds successfully in Photoshop.

Steve.

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

vortac12 wrote: 02 May 2020, 23:06So after taking a closer look, it appears that the texture tool is exporting a file that is 0kb, so nothing can read it.
So. Poked around a bit on the web and it seems there is now "NVIDIA Texture Tools Exporter", which is standalone or a plug-in for Photoshop. I also discovered other peeps with the 0 file size problem when using it. Their solution was to use "Intel Texture Works". Unfortunately I cannot download it. It seems I need a NVIDIA Developer Program Membership. A bit selfish I thought, unless it's free of course. I shan't bother as either of the two alternatives I use now work very well.

Steve.

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

It seems I already had an inactive Dev account with Nvidia, from my RTW days and it was free, so I reactivated it and got the new version. Long story short is no, I cannot get a good result with either the stand-alone or PS plug-in. There may be an obvious solution but I'm damned if I can find the correct combination of settings. So I'm sticking with the older plug-in or the Intel version. They both work and is what I know.

Steve.

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

After more poking around in the Nvidia forums. It seems the new dds texture exporter writes the DDS texture header structure in a new and improved way. Hmm. What could possibly go wrong. :roll:

Here's a quote from an employee.

"The next version of the Texture Tools Exporter will most likely have an option to allow you to turn off the DX10 header for formats that can be stored in old-style DDS files;"

We shall see. In the meantime, yeah...

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Version 1.3 of Nvidia Texture Tools Exporter plug-in for Photoshop, now seems to work with CS6. They've even added a 'Flip vertical' option. Although to be successful, the psd has to be flattened first whereas the older plug-in did that for you while saving.

The stand-alone version saves a psd, as a dds but without an alpha channel. Even if an alpha is specified in the options. The end result is also much darker and more contrasty than one saved using the plug-in.

I will continue with the older one but at least I have the option now, for later projects if needed.

Steve.

new reply

Return to “Repainters”