Shopping for a Photobucket replacement

A place where painters can discuss and share their work
new reply
Al FR-153
Technical Sergeant

Shopping for a Photobucket replacement

Post by Al FR-153 »

For reasons covered in another post viewtopic.php?f=23&t=69826 I am looking for a new place to store my photos especially those that I want to link for repaints. I know a couple of you have gone elsewhere, so I am looking for guidance. I have had it with Photobucket. This is not the first time they have messed with me, but it is the last. As soon as I can get photos posted elsewhere they will receive my final kiss goodbye note.
Al Heline

Image Image Image Image Image Image

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Re: Shopping for a Photobucket replacement

Post by AviationAtWar »

I've been using Imgur for several years.

curtis72561
Staff Sergeant

Post by curtis72561 »

I have been using Dropbox and it's great but what happens when I run out of room. :roll: We will see then. :wink:
Beeachcraft V35 Bonanza, Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress, Cessna C-172 Skyhawk, Cessna C-182 Skylane, Curtis P-40, North American P-51D Mustang Civilian
North American AT6 Texan, Piper PA-28 Cherokee, Piper PA-24 Comanche, Piper J-3 Cub, Supermarine Spitfire

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

I link to my Dropbox Plus account. So far, I have used 0.1% of the 2TB of space. All my re-paints are there. Also some pictures, books and other miscellaneous documents. I also use imgur as well.

Steve.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Another Dropbox user here. I just the free service but you still get 2 GB which is enough to store plenty of JPEG images. There's a trick though if you wish to embed images in forum posts: you need to change the dl=0 part at the end of the generated link to dl=1 as shown.

Code: Select all

[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/sb4irqkpsbrjf1o/2020-2-22_17-10-32-12.jpg?dl=1[/img]

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

Nick - A2A wrote: 01 Mar 2020, 11:55 Another Dropbox user here. I just the free service but you still get 2 GB which is enough to store plenty of JPEG images. There's a trick though if you wish to embed images in forum posts: you need to change the dl=0 part at the end of the generated link to dl=1 as shown.

[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/sb4irqkpsbrjf1o/2020-2-22_17-10-32-12.jpg?dl=1[/img]
Thanks,
Nick
I've been using Dropbox as well. However, I use raw=1 at end of link. I have not tried dl=1. What is the difference? I have invited friends to join DB through a link I send them and I now have 12.5GB space from the free service.

[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/0qx3papzsk4dryq/FireDancer43V_1.jpg?raw=1[/img]

Cheers
Roger
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

dl=0 takes you to an intermediary Dropbox page on their site, where you can then select and download a file you have shared.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/y5nop2zuvv5qdfr/W5856.7z?dl=0

raw=1 is for posting pictures.

[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/fyzgpu36xnzbwu6/C172_w5856.jpg?raw=1[/img]

And dl=1 is a link for a direct download. All the download links on my site for instance use dl=1.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/y5nop2zuvv5qdfr/W5856.7z?dl=1

Steve.
Last edited by bladerunner900 on 04 Mar 2020, 13:54, edited 3 times in total.

Al FR-153
Technical Sergeant

Post by Al FR-153 »

A special thank you to all. I already have a free Dropbox account, looks like now that you gents have shown me how to post from there, that I will expand my account and use that. I am going to look at the others as well, so your response is appreciated. As for Photobucket, I am going to tell them to use the money that I have already given them and apply it to a Super Pro (or whatever they want to call it) account and I am going to move all my photos as fast as I can. I doubt that I will get a refund, knowing how they have become the money grabber.

Appreciate all the guidance.
Al Heline

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

I guess they, Photobucket, got what they wanted. Paying customers only. Ironically, the way they did it made me look elsewhere.

Al FR-153
Technical Sergeant

Post by Al FR-153 »

That is what really locked my jaws Steve. I have been a paying customer for many, many years. I lived through the last increase in charges a couple years back, but this time, with no notice, they started this crap with blurring out (even my aircraft types in my signature). When I tried to get the link for a plane I intended to post, nothing happened. There was the little circle 'I' for information so I went to see what that was all about and that was when they informed me that they have screwed me (in plain English). 'You pay us more or you can't do anything'. I went back to my renewal in December to double check that I didn't miss any changes in their policies....NOTHING. That is when the blood pressure rocketed. They are supposed to respond to my email today (closed for weekend). Today could get very interesting. I have already taken by blood pressure medicine and have gone to the grinder to sharpen my tongue. They're in a heap of trouble now. :evil: :twisted:

Thanks again,

Al
Al Heline

new reply

Return to “Repainters”