What is this?

A place where painters can discuss and share their work
new reply
curtis72561
Staff Sergeant

What is this?

Post by curtis72561 »

Hey Guys, trying to do my first repaint of the P3D Cub and wondering if anybody knows what this is.

I noticed it when I tried to port over my FSX repaint and thought it was in the paint not being compatible. I see it in the P3D repaint also when you look at a certain angle. I looked and it is in the stock paints too. Is it in the paint or my settings? It makes me want to wash my aircraft. :)

Beeachcraft V35 Bonanza, Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress, Cessna C-172 Skyhawk, Cessna C-182 Skylane, Curtis P-40, North American P-51D Mustang Civilian
North American AT6 Texan, Piper PA-28 Cherokee, Piper PA-24 Comanche, Piper J-3 Cub, Supermarine Spitfire

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: What is this?

Post by bladerunner900 »

Looks like dirt to me. If you did not add it in the albedo then it's probably in the default metallic texture, or its Alpha. You'll have to make your own in that case.

Steve.

Thinking about it. If it's in your old, clean textures then it must be in the metallic.

curtis72561
Staff Sergeant

Post by curtis72561 »

bladerunner900 wrote: 12 Jan 2020, 07:57 Looks like dirt to me. If you did not add it in the albedo then it's probably in the default metallic texture, or its Alpha. You'll have to make your own in that case.

Steve.

Thinking about it. If it's in your old, clean textures then it must be in the metallic.
I got tired of looking at a dirty plane so I called the detail man and he came and washed it. He put wax after I asked him not to so I have to figure out how to get it off. He also put Armour All on the tires and that needs to come off. It does look better though.

Image Image

It was in the metallic which I didn't add but have now. There's layer that is called roughness and I haven't figured out how to edit it yet so I deleted it. It needs to be there for the texture of fabric but I'll have to work on it. It would look awesome if it was a metal plane. LOL now we need a paint kit for the 172 so I can finally do a shiny paint. :lol:
Beeachcraft V35 Bonanza, Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress, Cessna C-172 Skyhawk, Cessna C-182 Skylane, Curtis P-40, North American P-51D Mustang Civilian
North American AT6 Texan, Piper PA-28 Cherokee, Piper PA-24 Comanche, Piper J-3 Cub, Supermarine Spitfire

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Shiny metal is possible. Quick and dirty. I got this result with these two files. No mipmaps were used.
Piperj3_albedo.dds
Piperj3_metallic.dds

There's more to do as obviously you don't want shiny metallic tyres, tone down the shine and the surface material looks a bit too rough to me.

Michal A2A describes how in this post.
viewtopic.php?f=107&t=69342&sid=b413532 ... 15#p527668

new reply

Return to “Repainters”