Repaint Tutorial

A place where painters can discuss and share their work
new reply
Lowflyer48
Airman Basic

Repaint Tutorial

Post by Lowflyer48 »

I have never attempted to repaint an aircraft before and don't know where to start. I've got the A2A C182 and although the default paint schemes are fine and I wouldn't want to change them, what I would like to do is to change the Regn mark on the VH-DLL aircraft. Has anyone out there produced or know where I can watch a video showing me how to do that please? I've downloaded the paint kits and I've got Photoshop Elements on my computer but that's as far as I've got.
I appreciate that to some of you it's as easy as falling off that proverbial log but to me it's all a new and foreign language and who knows. Once I know how to change a regn mark I might even have a go at doing a complete repaint.
Thanking you in anticipation.

jcblom
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Repaint Tutorial

Post by jcblom »

Have you had a look at the repainters sticky thread in this forum. Lots of clues there.
I believe you are after a rego change of an existing texture?
The easiest would (probably) to open that texture file in dxtbmp, export the texture from that to your paintprogram (one of the buttons at the bottom of dxtbmp, below the texture image), make the changes, import back in dxtbmp, save as dxt dds and you're done. That would be my first approach anyway.
This is all assuming you know your way around photoshop or the gimp or whatever you are using. If you don't, things become more complicated of course...
Maybe you have to change the spec file too, but since I don't have the 182, I'm not sure. From what I have seen of pics, I think it would take me about an hour, possibly less. For you it will probably be longer, but hey, with my first paint it took me two months to figure everything out, this should be easier.
FS painter. You'll find most of my FS9/FSX/P3D paints here.

new reply

Return to “Repainters”