Rudder moves but ZERO rudder authority airborne

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
expat
Airman Basic

Rudder moves but ZERO rudder authority airborne

Post by expat »

This is strange. It also is making taking off pretty impossible. If I switch crash detection off and get airborne, she is very sweet handling and to trim, but if I move the rudder without any banking - the plane should "skid" left or right - there is absolutely no change - she flies straight. On the ground, there is no steering no matter how I try to unlock it by moving the stick fully forward or free wheeling and using differential braking steering.

Here is what is also strange: if I enable auto-steering, than the plane is steerable BUT not by using rudder pedals (or twisting the stick on my Saitek X-52) but by using aileron inputs! So what's up here?

Have unplugged/replugged my HOTAS many times, no luck. Have recalibrated etc etc. I start with the default aircraft fully loaded in the sim then switch to the Mustang. I A-B tested against other planes, e.g., Carenado AND the A2A accusim Bonanza - which worked fine and definitely had rudder authority in the air ie the plane clearly skids using just rudder input without any coordinated aileron.

Think I have all the updates which seems to be the prevalent solution in the many threads raising rudder/steering problems here. But that begs the question why this wasn't a problem in the earlier pre-update version(s)? Also, if it's just a change in the newer air.cfg, can anybody post the relevant section here so I can test this?

Thanks!

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Rudder moves but ZERO rudder authority airborne

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

which host sim and version of the Software are you using?

thanks
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

expat
Airman Basic

Post by expat »

P3Dv4.5

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Are you sure that the rudder physically moving, or is it just that you're able to move the pedals? By your description, it sounds very likely that you've not released the control lock at the base of the stick. I recognize the lack of taxiing ability because I've been there, done that... :roll:

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

expat
Airman Basic

Post by expat »

I discovered earlier trying to take off without releasing the control lock could ruin your day! LOL Yes, it's released.
AND the rudder (with autorudder disabled) has full lock movement visually with pedals. It has zero aerodynamic effect on the ground or aloft. And no tailwheel lock/unlock by pushing the stick full forward. It's odd that in autorudder enabled the aileron movement on the ground however allows it to steer pretty nicely.

expat
Airman Basic

Post by expat »

Why is it that there seem to be so many with a rudder issue for this aircraft and what is it about the update that is supposed to solve this?

new reply

Return to “P-51 Tech Support”