FSX-SE aircraft selection freeze with A2A planes

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
TMH
Airman Basic

FSX-SE aircraft selection freeze with A2A planes

Post by TMH »

Hi all,
my name is Federico and I'm from Italy.

I'm not a professional but a simple flight simulator enthusiast.

I am not sure this is the most appropriate section to talk about my issue, but I hope you'll give me a chance.

Some years ago I bought both Accu-Sim P-51 (civilian & military) and the Spitfire for FSX. I used to fly them without problems, as I can remember.

At the present time I've loaded FSX Steam Edition into my actual desk workstation and decided to reinstall them with their latest updates.
Everything is OK except a strange thing: I'll try to describe it the best I can.

1) I launch FSX-SE and choose, for example, to fly the P-51: OK
2) I fly it without probems and choose to end the flight with "ESC": OK
3) If I try, after this, to load any other aircraft and/or change weather/time, loading a flight plan etc. FSX freezes instantly: no way, I must force it to close with task manager.

If I try to follow the same procedure with Spitfire, the results are the same: freeze.
If I try to follow the same procedure with any other aircraft (both default and payware) I've installed, no problems and no freezes.

It seems that the issue only occurs with the two A2A planes and only after flying them and closing flight.

I've searched into the forum but I wasn't able to find anything similar.
I have no idea about the cause, so I hope to find some help here.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Sincerly,
Federico

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: FSX-SE aircraft selection freeze with A2A planes

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Federico and welcome to the A2A forums.

Please can you just let us know which aircraft currently loads with the default flight when you first launch your copy of FSX-SE? Sometimes saving a complex add-on for the default flight will cause issues.

Could you also just confirm if you're loading any other FSX add-ons or utilities, and if so, which ones?

Lastly, you do mention installing updates, but just want to double check it's the one which is available from here which you've installed?

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

TMH
Airman Basic

Post by TMH »

Hi, Nick.

1) The default aircraft is the AirCreation Trike Ultralight;
2) I use FSUIPC4 and the latest version of Accu-Feel: both of them load, start and work properly. In addition, AiCarriers (DOTNET version) is set to start automatically with the simulator (I've added it manually into the FSX-SE EXE file);
4) Yes, I used the Accu-Sim update from the page you linked: both P-51 and Spitfire are updated to the latest version.

Thanks to you!
Federico

EDIT: I also use, to be more specific, REX SkyForce 3D (32-bit), FS Global 2018 meshes, Natural World Trees and Ultimate Water X.
Last edited by TMH on 24 Mar 2021, 03:43, edited 1 time in total.

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

Hi, Nick:

To, hopefully, contribute to the discussion, I've been switching A2A aircraft unreservedly in FSX and P3D without any problems at all until recently. Now, in the last month or so, they cause the sim to crash. The only one that seems to be immune is the Cub. I've never had problems starting either sim with whatever aircraft is in the default scenario, and going to a default aircraft doesn't solve the issue. The only system change I recall is moving my ORBX scenery to a different drive. It's hard to believe it's an issue with A2A aircraft, because I've made no changes there in several months, but I'm at a loss as to what could be causing this change in behaviour.

TMH
Airman Basic

Post by TMH »

Hi, ratty,

unfortunately, in my specific situation, I do not use ORBX textures but only FS Global 2018 meshes; and everything is installed into the main SSD drive.
I also own the Cub, but I've not installed it. Interesting: I'll try to install, update and test it.

Thanks so much and soon,
Federico

EDIT: ratty, you've got a point 'cause I've installed, updated the Cub (Accu-Sim) and tried it: no freeze, so I can open the aircraft selection menu without problems. I've also tried to install and update the Accu-Sim P-40 for FSX (purchased it for free): as with P-51 and Spitfire, I encountered the same freeze issue; so, there's certainly something wrong between some A2A planes (in this case, P-51, Spitfire and P-40) and my actual FSX-SE configuration; but no ORBX installed, like I've said before... Any other ideas? Thank you!

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks for the additional info Federico.

Given ratty's post I tried to reproduce the issue on my own FSX-SE installation, but switching between A2A aircraft works fine. Having said that, my own FSX-SE installation is basically devoid of add-ons other than A2A aircraft, FSUIPC4 and RealityXP gauges; I just use it for testing.

One suggestion would be to make sure that you don't have the beta branch of FSX-SE installed.

The other thing I'd recommend is to reset your FSX-SE installation to default settings as a test. To do this, I suggest you just rename the FSX.cfg file in "C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX" so you can easily restore your original preferences if the test is unsuccessful.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

I wasn't suggesting that the ORBX move had anything to do with my problem, just that it was the only recent change to my setup I could think of. Also, I'm running P3D v4.5. Talking to the guys in the Misfit Squadron, I gather that for some this is something that happens quite a lot and they just live with it.

TMH
Airman Basic

Post by TMH »

@Nick: I've re-installed the whole O.S. (Windows 10 20H2) and FSX-SE a week ago exactly; so, my FSX-SE installation should be clean indicatively; and I'm not linked to any FSX-SE beta branch.

@ratty: suggestion or not, it could be an interesting point. Yep, you can live with it for sure, but closing and reopening FSX every time is not exactly handy. I work as freelance informatics technician, so I am curious by nature. :wink:

Thanks all,
Federico

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Federico,

I see that you mention Accu-Feel above. Please can you take this out of the equation and see if the crashes still occur when switching Accu-Sim planes. To do this you can just temporarily move the "A2A_Feel.dll" and "AccuFeelMenu.dll" files into a different temporary folder.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

TMH
Airman Basic

Post by TMH »

Nick,

I've just done it: disabled Accu-Feel moving the two files in a temp folder, started FSX, started a flight with P-40, end flight, tried to click on aircraft selection menu but the freeze is still here.

Thanks to you,
Federico

TMH
Airman Basic

Post by TMH »

UPDATE:

I've decided (here where I live we say: "taking the bull by the horns") to re-install both windows and FSX-SE (less complicated than one can imagine 'cause I use a workstation for flight simulation only) adding only:

- FSUIPC4, Accu-Feel and Steve's DX10 Fixer;
- REX SkyForce 3D x86, Pilot's FS Global 2018 and Natural World Trees;
- My A2A planes (udated with Accu-Sim Update 11/05/2020) and the Trojan by Ant's Airplanes only;
- Plan-G (it works separately from FSX, however).

Now everything is working properly and I presume that the issue maybe related to some contents injected by certain planes into the simulator (I suspect of my Milviz F-4 Phantom, but I can't say it for sure).

Thanks all for the support and, If I find the precise cause, I'll post it here for sure.

Federico

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Federico,

Thanks for the update and sorry for my rather slow reply.

Very pleased to hear you have everything working properly now. I think we flight-simmers in general tend to install and use such a vast selection of different add-ons and utilities that the occasional conflict like this can never be completely avoided. And, with so different combinations of add-ons, it's sometimes impossible to be sure exactly which particular interaction is the culprit.

Thanks again, and yes, if you do discover any more about this issue, please let us know.

All the best,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “P-51 Tech Support”