Mustang trim wheel

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Mustang trim wheel

Post by Ron Attwood »

The elevator trim wheel when rolled back to the stops and then rolled forward to the stops does four rotations. That is with the white marker at the top. Can I assume that two rotations will put the trim position as neutral?
"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled"

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: Mustang trim wheel

Post by DHenriques_ »

Ron Attwood wrote: 04 Feb 2021, 15:45 The elevator trim wheel when rolled back to the stops and then rolled forward to the stops does four rotations. That is with the white marker at the top. Can I assume that two rotations will put the trim position as neutral?
I've never found the trim function (sim code) to be particularly dynamically stable in linear. When applied it seems to accelerate with application. It's always been "twitchy" in FSX anyway. What I do and suggest others do is simply watch the indicators, apply the trim, and stop it where you want it paying no attention to the speed it moves from one setting to the next.
If flight I never actually looked at the trim indicators after takeoff. I simply trimmed off the pressure. I do the same thing in the sim. I've taught pilots to use trim this way for many years.
Dudley Henriques

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

I was thinking from a point of view of a pre take off setting. I use a Saitek trim wheel which you can twirl till the cows come home. If I don't 'centre' the wheel it could be in any old position leading to 'interesting' take offs. True, I don't look at it when airborne. It's simply a case of feeling for the trim. Does that make sense?

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Ron Attwood wrote: 04 Feb 2021, 18:08 I was thinking from a point of view of a pre take off setting. I use a Saitek trim wheel which you can twirl till the cows come home. If I don't 'centre' the wheel it could be in any old position leading to 'interesting' take offs. True, I don't look at it when airborne. It's simply a case of feeling for the trim. Does that make sense?
For takeoffs I do as you are doing. I just find the right point and set it. I had a Saitek trim wheel. As far as I could determine it simply was an external tool using the FSX in-sim code. I never liked it. For some reason even as of today I find the trim function in the sims to be "twitchy".
DH

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

You're not wrong. The trim wheel IS a bit flakey and produces a porpoising effect. Not too bad, but definitely not natural feeling. So the answer to my question is that two full rotations finds neutral. I'll try hat switch buttons. Thanks for your comments.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Ron Attwood wrote: 04 Feb 2021, 19:47 You're not wrong. The trim wheel IS a bit flakey and produces a porpoising effect. Not too bad, but definitely not natural feeling. So the answer to my question is that two full rotations finds neutral. I'll try hat switch buttons. Thanks for your comments.
Good luck. I hope it works better for you than it did for me. LOL

new reply

Return to “P-51 Tech Support”