Engine not starting

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
Artur
Staff Sergeant

Engine not starting

Post by Artur »

Sorry for such topic again, but i have no clue and tired of trying to move that beast.

I have serious problems to start P51 engine ( civilian )
I read all post and advises about engine priming, sequence and so on.
I am not new to A2A, so generally know things ( my P40 starts without any issues )
It does not matter how much i move throttle handle or how long i prime ( 10 or 20s ), engine is stone cold and does not even want to cough.
Multiple magic recharging, and plane is still dead.
I have latest version as plane was purchased yesterday, P3D 4.5 HF2.
Please guide me here, cause it is really frustrating to keep that beast on the ground, and i dont want and will not use ctrl+e

I did experiment, started with ctrl+e, made a few turns around airfield, made engine hot, landed, turned engine off and i cannot start it, even is hot ...

BR
Artur

Zacke
Staff Sergeant

Re: Engine not starting

Post by Zacke »

There's a good chance you're flooding it.

I crack the throttle just a little bit (from the standard eye point just seeing the "A" of "DEACREASE"). Fuel shutoff opened, electric fuel pump on, with cold engine priming just a second or two. Engaging starter, after six blades mags on and doing some short prime shots for getting her firing. You have to know her, she's telling you what she want's. And then she comes to live...

Not to much primer!!! And the starter should not be used more than 30 secs.

This is with FSX:SE. Don't know if there're differences between sim platforms.

Artur
Staff Sergeant

Post by Artur »

Flooding is questionable as hangar says nothing - perfect condition
When engine is hot i prime just 3 maybe 4 sec.

Zacke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Zacke »

When engine's hot I don't prime before engaging the starter. I just give her shot after mags on when she actually needs one (not firing reliable).

I think you're flooding her.

Zacke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Zacke »

I'm not an expert concerning the different updates or the A2A evolution but you shouldn't run the A2A planes without the latest update. There's good reason for the updates and in general the planes getting even more detailed or balanced with every of the updates.

It's possible the starting behaviour is different before/after an update. But I'm using the latest (April 2019 from memory) and have absolutely no issues with starting.

I think it's a question of the right procedures. Try using less primer and report back.

Artur
Staff Sergeant

Post by Artur »

Reinstalled and checked without and with latest update - still cannot fire her up :-(

Zacke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Zacke »

Could you post a video?

What are temperatures when you're talking of "stone cold"?

Artur
Staff Sergeant

Post by Artur »

I am not computer savvy so no chance for video, unless someone will explain me the easy way :-)

Artur
Staff Sergeant

Post by Artur »

Today i have spent half day trying to start that damned Merlin...
Here is what i do.
Outside temp is 48F ( 9C ), plane condition C&D.
Fuel - wing and fuse tanks full.
Batt switched on, no other receivers activated.
Tank selector switched for Fuse tank. Fuel boost ON, fuel press confirmed - green field.
Fuel shut off lever - ON.
Throttle cranked up, mixture full rich.
Prime for 10s, starter ON, six blades and rotate magneto to BOTH.

Nothing, no even one cough, i add a shot of prime, move throttle back and forth a bit - nothing.
Starter working not more than 30s, another try, and another - battery gone.

What i do wrong ?

Zacke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Zacke »

YOU ARE FLOODING THE ENGINE, as I said before. 10s primer is too much.

Leave the mixture on shutoff, give her just two or three seconds of prime. Engage the starter, switch on magnetos, watch if she catches. If not, give her another short shot of prime, to it gradually. If she fires switch the mixture to auto and idle her at about 800 to 1000 rpm.

Artur
Staff Sergeant

Post by Artur »

Is it relevant that cockpit AMPS gauge do not work - regardless of how many receivers i switch on, needle shows zero.
Maybe there is no electric power for Magnetos ?

Artur
Staff Sergeant

Post by Artur »

If so then why hangar says that everything is perfect ?
2 - 4 second of priming is also not sufficient for my engine...

Zacke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Zacke »

The magnetos don't need electrical power (your car's engine will run even if you disconnect the battery).
The ammeter comes to life at about 1300 rpm when the generator begins to produce electrical power (and generator switch is on). At 1500 rpm and above it can deliver full power.

I even checked the starting procedures with an OAT of 11°C. And it worked fine exactly as I described it above. After switching the magnetos on and the engine's not firing maybe give her at first a primer shot of 2 seconds and if she's not firing then give her another shot of 2 to 4 seconds.

By the way: If you have the left wing tank full you should first run with that one because unburned fuel will return to that tank. Otherwise it will be lost overboard.

Artur
Staff Sergeant

Post by Artur »

Honestly, i hang white flag …
Firing this thing is real pain in the ass.

Zacke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Zacke »

No, it isn't. Stay tuned to it and you will learn how to do it. The civ P-51 is a very satisfying machine if you know how to handle it.

Which of the other Accu-Sim aircraft did you fly so far?

Could some of the experts reading this one come in and give a comment if the P-51 differs technically between FSX and P3D?

new reply

Return to “P-51 Tech Support”