Engine not starting

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
Artur
Staff Sergeant

Re: Engine not starting

Post by Artur »

I had B17 in FSX&P3D3, Comanche250 in P3D3, now have P40 in P3D4.5, and P51 from yesterday.
Last edited by Artur on 13 May 2020, 12:46, edited 1 time in total.

Zacke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Zacke »

Ok. Let's wait if someone else comes in and tells us if it's an issue with P3D (I don't think so).

Meanwhile you could try to follow my start up instructions but DO NOT PRIME at all before turning on the mags while starter is turning. When mags on keep the primer engaged until she fires or at least coughs, then stop priming. Let's see if she comes to life this way.

For clarification: Do you have the mixture cut off while attempting to start?

woody901
Airman First Class

Post by woody901 »

Got to admit, I never prime the P51 for more than 3 seconds, turn the engine over, magnetos on, tickle the throttle a tiny bit back and forth and wait for it to fire then mixture on. Works all the time. I have to agree, I think you are over priming.
good luck

Mick
ImageImageImageImage

Zacke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Zacke »

@ Mick: FSX or P3D?

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

For me it's anywhere between one and four seconds (or not at all) depending on OAT and engine temperature...FSX:SE or P3Dv4.5. I rarely have to hit it with another shot of prime once the starter is engaged.
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

woody901
Airman First Class

Post by woody901 »

Zacke wrote: 13 May 2020, 10:00 @ Mick: FSX or P3D?

P3D V5
ImageImageImageImage

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello Artur,

It does sound like you may simply be over-priming.

Our resident P-51 exert, Dudley Henriques has posted some starting tips here based on his experience in the type, and he emphasises that the primer is very sensitive.

However, you should also make sure your default flight in P3D uses one of the simple default aircraft to help avoid issue during initialisation of the flight.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Artur
Staff Sergeant

Post by Artur »

Hi Nick, i know that post.
In the same post there is recommendation that if temp is 30 to 50 F, then priming is 4 to 8s.
Based on that i have primed around 10s.

Yes, my default plane is stock Cub.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks Artur, but why are you priming for 10 seconds when the recommendation in that thread at the temperature you mention (48°F) is for 4-5 seconds?

Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Artur
Staff Sergeant

Post by Artur »

4 to 8s.
I have tried different timing, from short 2s to 20s.
Was checking all possibilities to fire her up.

If i am flooding that engine then why Hangar says everything is fine ?
I remember if i flooded B17, then Hangar said that my engines are flooded.

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Go with 4 seconds prime at that temperature.
The hangar will not show that the engine is flooded. Trust me...because I've been there a bunch initially for that reason :wink:
If it doesn't start, it's typically because of not enough or too much prime. To confirm that the engine was flooded, run the starter with the mixture in Idle Cutoff and the throttle fully open to the wire stop...then be ready to pull the throttle to idle as soon as it fires as you're moving the mixture to the Run position.
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

Artur
Staff Sergeant

Post by Artur »

Rob, thanks for advice !

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

In looking at your list, I didn't see "Boost pump ON." If the boost pump isn't on, fuel will have a hard time getting from the fuselage tank to the engine.

Scott made a YouTube video about how to start the P-51, you might want to watch that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUOmJzxoaCA. There are a number of other tutorials on startup: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... ng+startup.

Turn on the battery and generator. Make sure fuel lever is on, and set the carb control to ram air. Turn on boost pump. Mixture at idle cut-off. Crack the throttle about 1 inch. Give 3 to 4 seconds of prime. Activate the starter, and count six blades, then switch mags to BOTH. She should catch. Once she does, move the mixture to auto-rich. Don't forget to turn off the boost pump and the starter (like I do about half the time :oops: )

Another trick is to select cold & dark on the Shift+3 screen if you might have flooded the engine.

Good luck!

Seeya
ATB

curtis72561
Staff Sergeant

Post by curtis72561 »

I haven't flown mine in a while so I thought I would take her up. Well It took a long time to get her to fire up. I had to turn on the pump and prime it every 2-3 seconds while the starter was on. On the third try it coughed a couple of times and fired up and ran perfectly.
Beeachcraft V35 Bonanza, Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress, Cessna C-172 Skyhawk, Cessna C-182 Skylane, Curtis P-40, North American P-51D Mustang Civilian
North American AT6 Texan, Piper PA-28 Cherokee, Piper PA-24 Comanche, Piper J-3 Cub, Supermarine Spitfire

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

The other day I spent about 20 minutes just getting the P-40 to start with it's inertia starter. We've all been there thinking "did I flood it?" Also happened on my Aerostar recently as well. Engines especially sensitive to flooding when the engine is warm.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “P-51 Tech Support”