Throttle Gate / WEP

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
flymustangs
Airman

Throttle Gate / WEP

Post by flymustangs »

I have a question on how the Throttle Gate works. I found this thread, which helps some, viewtopic.php?f=94&t=32171&p=245127

It's still not real clear, though. If I push the throttle forward and visibly see the wire break, it turns on the Throttle Gate setting in the Shift 3 window. I don't see anything in the maintenance hanger that WEP has been engaged like the manual states. If I quit the flight and start another the Throttle Gate setting in the Shift 3 window is no longer set. Shouldn't this be persistent from flight to flight like other damage/wear to the plane?

For a related question, does something need to be "set" to go to WEP? The manifold pressure does go above 61" when going to full throttle so I'm guessing not. There is an FSX variable for WEP, but I'm not sure that's used in the A2A Mustang.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Throttle Gate / WEP

Post by Jacques »

To get the full 67” the supercharger needs to be active, so if you’re below the altitude where the supercharger engages automatically, you need to flip the guard and set the switch to “on”. Then full throttle and 3000 RPM and you’re off!

I also note the WEP timer and persistence of the broken wire are absent. They may have fallen to other, more relevant features as the model progressed...but thats just a guess on my part. :D

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

Jacques the Mustang's supercharger is always "active." If the Mustang supercharger were not functioning, it would not be possible to command more than 30" (~Sea Level ambient pressure) even with full throttle, even breaking the WEP safety wire.
The switch you're describing controls the reduction gear by which the supercharger is driven by the engine crankshaft. The Mustang has 2 gears, LOW BLOWER and HIGH BLOWER. It's not related to the production of WEP.

flymustangs,
WEP is a power setting, not a throttle position. If you're trying this test on the ground with the engine off then you never achieved WEP, even though you broke the safety wire. The resetting of the wire has to do with how the Mustang loads in the simulator. A2A can't have the mustang load in the last configuration you left it, if you closed the simulator down with a cold aircraft on the ground, then next load the mustang in the air!

Have the parking brake set on the ground before you load the P-51D!

A2A do not use the FSX "WEP" (Actually FSX:A native Anti-Detonation Injection). The manual says that it "records WEP time" but there's no mention that it's displayed/reported to you the user. It also says a complete overhaul is needed after 5 cumulative hours of WEP operation. You may getting a message related to this though...

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Yep, wrong again. Thanks for the correction Flapman.

flymustangs
Airman

Post by flymustangs »

OK. I fully understand that this is a power setting, not necessarily a throttle position. On the actual aircraft, there is no logging of the man press so the throttle gate indicated that WEP had been applied.

On the other hand, it is related to throttle position, especially on the sim. Otherwise, why would there be a way to adjust this relationship (the shift 3 screen). The reason I asked if there was something else required to "activate" WEP is because it doesn't seem to indicate anything in the maintenance hangar as the manual states. Also, if I'm reading the information correctly, in DCS, you have to hit a key at full throttle to go into WEP.

I'm definitely getting greater than 61" of man press at full throttle so in practical terms, that would be WEP. I just don't understand why that status doesn't seem to be maintained (or at least it doesn't appear to be) in the maintenance hangar as the manual states. I suppose I can fly it now until the engine fails, but that doesn't mean it's because WEP was used on a previous flight.

The reason I'm chewing on this issue is that I haven't implemented the throttle gate on my sim pit yet. If the status isn't persistent, I'm not sure there is a point other than aesthetics.

DrumsArt
Staff Sergeant

Post by DrumsArt »

flymustangs wrote: 31 Jul 2019, 17:50 OK. I fully understand that this is a power setting, not necessarily a throttle position. On the actual aircraft, there is no logging of the man press so the throttle gate indicated that WEP had been applied.

On the other hand, it is related to throttle position, especially on the sim. Otherwise, why would there be a way to adjust this relationship (the shift 3 screen). The reason I asked if there was something else required to "activate" WEP is because it doesn't seem to indicate anything in the maintenance hangar as the manual states. Also, if I'm reading the information correctly, in DCS, you have to hit a key at full throttle to go into WEP.

I'm definitely getting greater than 61" of man press at full throttle so in practical terms, that would be WEP. I just don't understand why that status doesn't seem to be maintained (or at least it doesn't appear to be) in the maintenance hangar as the manual states. I suppose I can fly it now until the engine fails, but that doesn't mean it's because WEP was used on a previous flight.

The reason I'm chewing on this issue is that I haven't implemented the throttle gate on my sim pit yet. If the status isn't persistent, I'm not sure there is a point other than aesthetics.
+1 I have the same question...
Richard
Richard Portier
MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel i7-4770K [email protected] x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB|Windows10 Pro 64|Fsx Accel|P3Dv4.5HF2|Rex|Saitek Pro Flight Yoke/Rudder/Quadrant/Switch Panel|ThrustMaster Hotas Warthog|ActiveSky P3Dv4+Asca|Mce|All A2A

new reply

Return to “P-51 Tech Support”