P-51D Civ. Loss of Control

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
peterpiper
Airman Basic

P-51D Civ. Loss of Control

Post by peterpiper »

After about 45 min. flying time .. now in cruise at fl160 .. auto pilot and GPS engaged ..cockpit view, a slight occilating zoom effect starts .. ie if the canopy side bars are just visible, they would start to move in and out about the canopy bar's thickness. after about a minute of this, the zoom occilations become greater (violent) and soon the screen goes black. I can still bring up external views OK, but link with my control surfaces are lost. I can continue to fly in cockpit-only mode, and turn off/on the auto pilot, but still no control of flight surfaces. The flight has to be aborted.

During these flights, I have crash setting "off"

This is the 3rd. time it has happened ... I have about 10 hours flying time before noticing this problem, but all other flights have been less than 45 minutes !!

What has gone wrong?? Other flights in P3Dv4 using different aircraft are OK.

Mazo
Technical Sergeant

Re: P-51D Civ. Loss of Control

Post by Mazo »

Hypoxia. FL16 without oxygen, will cause the pilot to pass out and unable to maintain any control of the aircraft.

A2A has modeled hypoxia for quite a long time in several of their aircraft. Accu-Sim strikes again! Nothing wrong with the P-51 - you need oxygen at that altitude.

Lyn
[*]2021 Jetline Systems GTX, [email protected], EVGA RTX 3080ti 12GB, 64GB Memory 3200MHz, Win11 64 Pro, P3DV5.3, FS2020

In memory of my fallen Brothers in Arms in Viet Nam - may they Rest in Peace.

peterpiper
Airman Basic

Post by peterpiper »

I will check the manual regarding Oxygen supply ... if A2a has included hypoxia, then it comes across very crudely, as one would expect the pilot's view to "go red" before blacking out, not just a black screen. I have improved the ventilation around my computer, and have repeated the flight I had problems with, and all went well ... so I hope that the issue is now resolved ... time will tell !! Thanks anyway fo the comment.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

It shouldn't go red. It should gray and then black out. Red is associated with negative G and rupturing of blood vessels in the eyes.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Real symptoms of hypoxia are varied and numerous. Not everybody exhibits the same symptoms. In the interest of brevity, I assume A2A chose two common symptoms: loss of peripheral vision (a shrinking picture) and panting, or taking deep breaths, maybe gasping is a better description. Eventually, everything goes black. You can hear the aircraft, the engine the rushing air, but you can’t see anything and you can’t action anything.

Based on what you describe, I think it is obvious you are suffering from hypoxia!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

I hate this effect! When I've started suffering from hypoxia for real, I've tend to get very happy, calm and maintain reasonable control of my faculties until vision starts to close in...

In the sim when I see it start, I generally feel REALLY angry and agitated that I've been STUPID enough to forget my oxygen and start throwing things at the screen. Quite different effects :lol: :lol: :lol:

Perhaps A2A could have provided tranquilisers with the software purchase ;)
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

new reply

Return to “P-51 Tech Support”