Tail wheel Steering non functional - AGAIN

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
mattsta
Airman First Class

Tail wheel Steering non functional - AGAIN

Post by mattsta »

There must be 5 separate threads in the last few months on the P51 tech support all reporting non functional tailwheel steering

The rudder is functional in external views of the aircraft

The control lock is off

There is no tail wheel steering even if the joystick is positioned fully forwards and it i impossible to steer the aircraft on the ground

I have deleted the A2A folder, including the updates folders and reinstalled the Aircraft, Accusim and the latest 2016 update and I still cannot steer the aircraft on the ground. I've had this problem occur before and only managed to resolve the issue by sheer luck and perseverance.

With all the separate threads describing the same circumstances on here, it's really time you guys at A2A sorted this problem out. It's extremely frustrating and it's been going on for a long time now.

What is the definitive solution to this problem with ground steering?

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Re: Tail wheel Steering non functional - AGAIN

Post by ratty »

I'm so used to taxiing the Mustang that I don't really pay attention any more to how I get it to go where I want it to go. So I took it out this evening and taxied around the ramp at 4SD for a few minutes. At around 1200 RPM it rolls around nicely. If you push the stick too far forward too fast you can lift the tail, but otherwise at this speed the aircraft has no tendency to flip.

With the stick back or centered the rudder turns the aircraft a little both ways, but better to the left (undoubtedly something to do with airflow over the vertical tail). With the stick forward, rudder deflection has almost no effect at all. The tail wheel is castoring at that point. If, with the stick forward, you dab in a quick shot of differential brake, the plane will pivot in that direction and continue to turn, even with the rudder in neutral. I guess I use the brakes a lot when taxiing, in quick taps, to "nudge" the nose around.

It's a little strange, and MAY be the source of your problem. I'd recommend you try rolling around a large flat apron and see if this info helps. If nothing else it's easier, and more fun, than reinstalling everything again.

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

I own the civilian version only. I find it very easy to taxi and maneuver at most any speed. So, I see these threads and issues with taxiing and it sounds like a definite problem that has developed on rare occasions.

In your case, mattsta, is it the civilian or military version or both. I just hope the issue does not find its way to my stable :lol:

Good luck
Roger
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

mattsta
Airman First Class

Post by mattsta »

ratty wrote:I'm so used to taxiing the Mustang that I don't really pay attention any more to how I get it to go where I want it to go. So I took it out this evening and taxied around the ramp at 4SD for a few minutes. At around 1200 RPM it rolls around nicely. If you push the stick too far forward too fast you can lift the tail, but otherwise at this speed the aircraft has no tendency to flip.

With the stick back or centered the rudder turns the aircraft a little both ways, but better to the left (undoubtedly something to do with airflow over the vertical tail). With the stick forward, rudder deflection has almost no effect at all. The tail wheel is castoring at that point. If, with the stick forward, you dab in a quick shot of differential brake, the plane will pivot in that direction and continue to turn, even with the rudder in neutral. I guess I use the brakes a lot when taxiing, in quick taps, to "nudge" the nose around.

It's a little strange, and MAY be the source of your problem. I'd recommend you try rolling around a large flat apron and see if this info helps. If nothing else it's easier, and more fun, than reinstalling everything again.
No. I'm afraid you are completely missing the point here. I've owned this software for 2 years now and I have a good 100 hours on the 51. The problems arise, for one reason or another, when I have to reinstall the A2A software. In this case, I've just bought a new computer and I'm having to reinstall all my software on it. It's always very problematic getting this sim software to function correctly after a fresh installation. I had precisely the same problems on other occasions when I had a hard-drive failure on my old computer and when I have reloaded my OS in the past.

After 3 hours and several attempts reinstalling the software and updates last night, I got the ground steering working and I can steer the aircraft on the ground. However, there doesn't seem to be any definitive reason why these problems are happening which makes it very frustrating.

However, I now have a new problem which I haven't investigated yet. After my first take off, power set at around 50 inches with 5.5 degree right rudder, prop pitch fine, the aircraft veered and rolled quite violently to the left. I've checked my joystick calibration and I'll have another attempt this evening. I was already too frustrated by the earlier problems to continue with it last night. As I said, I've put quite a lot of hours on this sim so I'm confident it isn't "pilot error."

mattsta
Airman First Class

Post by mattsta »

WB_FlashOver wrote:I own the civilian version only. I find it very easy to taxi and maneuver at most any speed. So, I see these threads and issues with taxiing and it sounds like a definite problem that has developed on rare occasions.

In your case, mattsta, is it the civilian or military version or both. I just hope the issue does not find its way to my stable :lol:

Good luck
Roger
I got the steering to work correctly last night Roger. (See above post)

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
What you have encountered is the improved prop torque on takeoff , you have to be very carful with throttle now , i have only had the new version , but others who had the older version have noticed this problem more then me .
regards alan. 8)

r601020
Senior Airman

Post by r601020 »

I adjusted rudder sensitivity back to mid-point 50% (normal).

Wasn't just ground operations in the P-51, once airborne (having used braking for my turns for taxi and takeoff), with rudder sensitivity at 100%, I could wag the rudder full, back and forth, and that plane did not move from a straight line (shaking my head). A2A responded in my thread this shouldn't be the problem, but this solved the issue for me.

I adjust rudder sensitivity back to 100% for other A2A aircraft where taxi is a bit jerky, and it smooths the turns.

Good luck.
Richard

Pistonpilot
Technical Sergeant

Post by Pistonpilot »

I often forget to uncheck "auto rudder" when I reinstall flightsim. This causes both wonky ground handling and suspicious coupled roll/yaw issues in flight for A2A aircraft. It doesn't help that, if FSX has any issues shutting down after I fix this setting, it forgets that I made the change and puts auto rudder back on again next time I start up. Since I am perhaps overreliant on differential braking, I usually don't notice the auto rudder oversight until I am airborne.

Hope this helps!

-Ian C

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

DWC Alumni. Commercial Instrument Single/Multi-Engine Land. [Former] Police, Fire, & 9-1-1 Dispatcher. [Former] MAINEiac Crew Chief.

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

Glad you got the steering sorted out.

I had the same left roll and crash the other night. Although I have 399.5 hours in the civilian I had never experienced this before. However, I don't have many hours in it sense the 5-9-16 update. I repaired aircraft and on the second attempt I held her on the ground until I was at 140 IAS instead of my normal 125 IAS. She lifted off nicely and all was good.

Roger
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

mattsta
Airman First Class

Post by mattsta »

WB_FlashOver wrote:Glad you got the steering sorted out.

I had the same left roll and crash the other night. Although I have 399.5 hours in the civilian I had never experienced this before. However, I don't have many hours in it sense the 5-9-16 update. I repaired aircraft and on the second attempt I held her on the ground until I was at 140 IAS instead of my normal 125 IAS. She lifted off nicely and all was good.

Roger
Hi Roger

I experienced precisely the same thing this afternoon. After last nights disastrous crash, I also held her down on the deck for longer than I would have done normally and took off successfully this time.

I'm using the same joystick but I've upped my computer to a Windows 10 machine with a very powerful GTX1070 graphics card. The Card performance is superb but the aircraft seems much more sensitive to control inputs through the joystick which made my first flight using this computer quite nightmarishly challenging. I flew Jackson Hole to Bozeman. It was horribly windy and it took 3 attempts to land successfully only for the ORBX tree generator to place a tree right in the middle of the run-off taxiway which I collided with!

Not sure if it is the A2A update or FSX weather that I hadn't predicted or asked for that made the plane seem much much harder to fly than before.
Last edited by mattsta on 13 Dec 2016, 14:44, edited 1 time in total.

mattsta
Airman First Class

Post by mattsta »

Pistonpilot wrote:I often forget to uncheck "auto rudder" when I reinstall flightsim. This causes both wonky ground handling and suspicious coupled roll/yaw issues in flight for A2A aircraft. It doesn't help that, if FSX has any issues shutting down after I fix this setting, it forgets that I made the change and puts auto rudder back on again next time I start up. Since I am perhaps overreliant on differential braking, I usually don't notice the auto rudder oversight until I am airborne.

Hope this helps!

-Ian C

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
I always check these settings are correct when doing a re-install. The Auto-mixture control is the other one you need to look out for

sloppysmusic
Senior Airman

Post by sloppysmusic »

http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/vie ... 05#p454205

Add me to the list of people having exactly same issues, with my incompetence apparently to blame now!

ONLY this plane!

matt any idea what you did exactly that fixed this? i'd LOVE to have the Mustang steering too!

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Just think if this was back in 1944 and you were transitioning from T-6s into real Mustangs. Or maybe back in '68 or so, and you were taking off for the first time in the machine you just bought for whatever they were going for back then. At least everybody is still alive and able to complain about it on this forum! :)

Seeya
ATB

MikeS
Airman First Class

Post by MikeS »

I see this is a very old thread but I also loose taxi steering seems after an update. Simmed in the P51 Civilian last two weeks, installed the Piper Cub with updates last night and today all my tanks are full in the P51 and no steering. Engine like new though I had been flying all week building up engine stress and needing fuel.
Happens often very frustrating now will do the complete reinstall again. wish this could be fixed been going on with many for some time now.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

MikeS wrote: 14 Oct 2020, 16:55 I see this is a very old thread but I also loose taxi steering seems after an update. Simmed in the P51 Civilian last two weeks, installed the Piper Cub with updates last night and today all my tanks are full in the P51 and no steering. Engine like new though I had been flying all week building up engine stress and needing fuel.
Happens often very frustrating now will do the complete reinstall again. wish this could be fixed been going on with many for some time now.
Hello Mike,

Please can you start a new topic and give us a bit of basic info about your installation such as whether you're using FSX or P3D, and also if you're using any other FS add-ons.

Can you also let us know which aircraft loads with your default flight?

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “P-51 Tech Support”