Engine start and fuel pressure

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
robert41
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Engine start and fuel pressure

Post by robert41 »

Tested this.
FSXA.
Fair WX.
Without the electric fuel pump on, it will hold fuel pressure above 500rpm.
At 500rpm, fuel pressure drops to zero.
A good reason to keep the electric fuel pump on at all times.
Also, idling at 5-600rpm, after 1 minute or so, the plugs are fouled enough to cause a slow drop in rpm till the engine dies.
Or throttling up to 1500-2000rpm to clear the plugs. Runs very rough till they clear.
Try not to idle below 800rpm for any length of time.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Thanks for the reply Robert. That's weird. My installation behaves differently. I'll try to delete the update folder and rerun the updater later. Will report the results.

Thanks
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Ok so I deleted the update and re-ran it. I have to admit that yes you can foul the plugs and if you idle for a extended amount of time the engine will run rough.

But still it doesn't sputter as much as it used to. When you fouled the plugs before the latest series of updates the engine would struggle more to gain speed again and it would sputter and in the outside views you could see some flames. I cannot reproduce this anymore!? Oh and I just checked the Spitfire MkI and it seems that this has also been dialed down on the Spitfire as well. With the Spit I sometimes had the problem of the engine almost dying on rollout. Now it purrs like a kitten.

Anyone else under the same impression?
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

robert41
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by robert41 »

Not sure if anything has changed with the Spit. Pulling the throttle back causes it to foul pretty quick on mine.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

I agree the Merlin in the Spitfire could the plugs very quickly. But what I have the impression is different is the recovery from those could plugs. It used to have a lot of drama with sputtering and flames from the exhaust. You had to be very careful with advancing the throttle cause the engine would stall with could plugs easily...

Now the engine just seems to shake for a while and then is fine again.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Update on the fuel pressure issue after the 5_1_16 update:

It seems the issue of the fuel pressure dropping to zero has been fixed with that update too. I took the Mustang for some aerobatics and touch and goes yesterday after applying the update and the fuel pressure didn't drop to zero even at prolonged idle without the fuel boost pump on.

Thanks for fixing that!

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

Piper_EEWL wrote:Anyone else under the same impression?
I do. I've noticed that the engine is a lot less 'fussy' since the Texan release. I've also noticed that when I prime the engine before start the fuel pump now increases pressure all the way into the green range.

new reply

Return to “P-51 Tech Support”