Tiny Fonts in Accusim menus

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
Jigsaw
Master Sergeant

Tiny Fonts in Accusim menus

Post by Jigsaw »

I recently noticed that some of the fonts in the Accu-sim menus have become very tiny, regardless of the aircraft:

I have no idea what caused this, but I think I started around the time when I installed the latest Core Update. Perphaps you have an idea how to fix it withou me having to reinstall everything. That would be much appreciated.
Happy Landings
- Patrick

guenseli
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: Tiny Fonts in Accusim menus

Post by guenseli »

Seems you have wasted to much fuel with the addons. Accusim now reduces the fonts to save weight for your flights ...

:lol:
ok, kidding of course.

And no, I'm sorry, but I have no idea.
:oops:

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

Have you added any new aircraft or other addons that may have either
overwritten, changed or corrupted any font files?

That is the only thing I can think of at the moment that could affect
your menu fonts.

Paul

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Gypsy Baron wrote:Have you added any new aircraft or other addons that may have either
overwritten, changed or corrupted any font files?

That is the only thing I can think of at the moment that could affect
your menu fonts.

Paul

Just to add to the above, this is system fonts so it could be anything that you have added to the pc, or installed, uninstalled etc not just FS related. Have you chaanged your desktop font setting or DPI recently for example?
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Jigsaw
Master Sergeant

Post by Jigsaw »

I can't think of any software that could have done this and no, I haven't changed my fonts or dpi settings. What's the name of that font?
Happy Landings
- Patrick

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello Jigsaw,

its a system font, Courier

thanks,
Lewis

Jigsaw
Master Sergeant

Post by Jigsaw »

Ah! Thanks, Lewis. That was the crucial hint that made the penny drop. I didn't change my settings, but now that you said that the font is Courier I remembered that I installed a "Courier Medium" font a few weeks back for a small screenplay project. I totally forgot about it. Now that I deleted that font the Accusim Menus seem to access the Courier New font again that comes with Windows 7. Everything looks okay again.

I suppose the menus access the first Courier font that they can find in the font list and since "Courier Medium" comes before "Courier New" in the alphabetic sorting it probably picked that one.

Thanks again!
Happy Landings
- Patrick

Tim-HH
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tim-HH »

Hi,

sorry for digging out this old thread but I have exactly the same problem. Except that, unlike Patrick, I haven't installed any additional fonts. The Courier type fonts are in the Windows/Fonts folder and there are no other custom Courier type fonts that might mix up the 2D panels.

This affects all Accusim aircrafts except the C172 and the Cherokee. I have really no clue how to solve this. I hope someone has an idea :)

Thanks and Greetings
Tim
Greetings
Tim

My files in the Avsim File Library | Flightsim.to

i5 12600K | 32Gb | RTX 4080

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hey Tim,

please can you think back to what you have added/removed since it worked/stop working. Any system changes of late also, windows settings etc?

thanks,
Lewis

Tim-HH
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tim-HH »

Hi Lewis,

thanks for replying! :)

Actually it never worked with Windows 8.1 - at least on my PC. I noticed it first on the Piper Cub a few month ago but didn't pay much attention to it as I had too much fun flying with the C172 and the Cherokee. A few days ago I loaded the B-17 and the P-51D and saw that this problem affects all Accusim aircrafts except the C172 and the Cherokee.

In order to trace the problem I looked into the XML files of these gauges. Especially at the programmed font size. And what I found matches exactly what I see in FSX. Here are two examples:

The 'Manager.xml' of the Payload Manager of the P-47D says 'Courier' with a size of 8 points for the string 'Total weight:' and 'Courier New / 15 points' for "PAYLOAD:'. And that's exactly how it apperas in my FSX:

The 'engine_details.xml' of the P-51D Maintenance Hangar has assigned 'Courier New / 18 points' to the string 'CLOSE' and 'Courier - 5 points' to the engine items. One can easily check that with MS Word to see that Courier 5 points is indeed that tiny:

I also tested it on my old Win XP system and there the font size is always 14 points no matter what one writes into the XML files. So my assumption would be that either there is something wrong with my settngs or that Windows 8.1 has changed the way FSX handles these XML files.

As said, on the C172 and the Cherokee the font sizes are set up correctly in the XML files. So I guess there must be a reason that it has been changed :)

Maybe you can do me a favor and ask the developer of these gauges. Maybe he has an explanation for these weird things :)

Thanks and Greetings
Tim
Greetings
Tim

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Did you ever fix this problem? The reason I ask is because I think I know what is going on. I have the P-51 and was wondering why I didn't have the same problem as you.

The Cherokee and Cessna both use Verdana in their xml files so that probably explains why they don't suffer the same symptom. The P-51 calls on Courier New and Courier. My system has Courier New and Courier Regular, so I think the calls for Courier are being ignored, or failing. The system continues to use the last successful font change.

To test this theory, I found the Courier font on the web and installed it, after first doing a full system backup. Sure enough, my P-51 interface started to show the same tiny fonts described here.

Closer examination of my Fonts directory revealed that Courier Regular had disappeared and that Courier Medium had taken its place. Deleting the Courier Medium font returned the P-51 interface back to normal. The displayed text was right again.

So, if you have Courier or Courier Medium installed, try deleting them and see what happens. I suggest you make a system backup first, or at least backup the fonts first so they can be replaced if needed.

Cheers.
Steve.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Ahh the font fun in an OS :?

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Yeah. From what I've been able to find out, Courier New is the same as the old Courier, but with Anti-aliasing. Oh, I forgot to mention that I use Windows 7 Pro. 64 bit, but have no idea if that is significant.

Tim-HH
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tim-HH »

bladerunner900 wrote:So, if you have Courier or Courier Medium installed, try deleting them and see what happens.
Wow, Steve, thanks a lot! That has indeed fixed the problem :D

I was under the impression that Courier is a system font and therefore would have never deleted it. But it worked. Courier Regular is now back in place. That's great! Thanks a lot for looking into it, Steve. Much appreciated :)

Greetings
Tim
Greetings
Tim

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

You are welcome. :wink:

I believe Courier is one of the original fonts used by Microsoft, but it's typical of them to change things when they should leave well alone. I think it was Thomas Bertram who said it the best, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." :lol:

new reply

Return to “P-51 Tech Support”