RMI Gauge

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
new reply
Captthud
Airman

RMI Gauge

Post by Captthud »

The RMI does not work right
The outer dial should be linked to the DG
the pointer should be pointing to the true course
the needle should point to the VOR
https://www.aircraftsystemstech.com/201 ... i-and.html

Thanks
Rick

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: RMI Gauge

Post by Nick - A2A »

Neither of the P-51s have an RMI fitted Rick. Assuming you're using the civilian version (since your refer to VOR) the gauge installed in a horizontal situation indicator (HSI).

http://www.pilotfriend.com/training/fli ... ng/hsi.htm

The military version of the Mustang has a compass repeater on the panel.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Captthud
Airman

Post by Captthud »

yes it does, but the pointer is slaved to the DG not connected to the NAV radio or the ADF depending which one is selected
the outer dial should be slaved to the DG, and the needle should show the direction to the VOR
you set the cage to your calculated true course and, center the needle in it, or.....just fly to the needle
after all why would have all those radios if you had no way to use them
Rick

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Rick,

Which gauge in which aircraft (mil or civ) are you looking at?

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Rick,

By your descriptions, I'm thinking you're looking at the Military P-51 and the instrument in question is not an RMI, but a repeater compass only...it has no NAV function. With this in mind, your question is valid as to why the Military P-51 would have access to NAV radios (in one of the popup panels I think...?), with no way to use them in flight. This is why I have less than an hour in the Military P-51 and 730+ hours in the Civilian Mustang :wink: :mrgreen:

The Civilian Mustang doesn't have an RMI either, but it has an HSI with an integral NAV/ADF selectable track arrow.

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks for chiming in Rob. If memory serves, any NAV frequencies tuned using the pop-up radio panel should be usable in the pop-up Shift 5 map, although I have to confess I haven't used this function in the P-51. Of course, all these bits were developed long before my involvement with A2A started, but I think the basic principal was to make the radio set somewhat usable with the modern navaids in FSX, without compromising the overall authenticity of the cockpit.

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Captthud
Airman

Post by Captthud »

radio navigation has been around since the early days of aviation in the form of the ADF
VOR navigation didn't become the standard until the 1950's and 60's
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic ... ion_finder
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VHF_omnidirectional_range
if you read this article it explains how the RMI should work https://www.aircraftsystemstech.com/201 ... i-and.html
Rick

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Nick - A2A wrote: 25 Apr 2022, 11:47 Thanks for chiming in Rob. If memory serves, any NAV frequencies tuned using the pop-up radio panel should be usable in the pop-up Shift 5 map, although I have to confess I haven't used this function in the P-51. Of course, all these bits were developed long before my involvement with A2A started, but I think the basic principal was to make the radio set somewhat usable with the modern navaids in FSX, without compromising the overall authenticity of the cockpit.
Thanks Nick, that does make sense, but in my fantasy world, functionality is more important than authenticity, hence my love affair with the Civ Mustang! :mrgreen:
ratty wrote: 25 Apr 2022, 13:04 It's an HSI. Different beast. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horizonta ... _indicator
Bingo! ...if we're talking about the Civ Mustang (which question has not been answered yet)...if we're talking about the Mil P-51, it's a compass. I do understand the history of radio navigation and am well acquainted with the operation of associated instruments OBS/HSI/RMI and would just like to point out again that neither of the '51s is equipped with an RMI.

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

Captthud
Airman

Post by Captthud »

the civ is still my favorite.....maybe the B-17.....
but with the drop tanks the military version has unbelievable range and from time to time I try to burn all the gas out of a plane
as an example I've flown a 747 around the world 3 times, one time in 3 hops
starting to fly IRL when I was 6 or 7.....1962 or 1963.....my dad was part owner of a C172.....GPS was a change for me.....I'm quite familiar with old school navigation
an HSI has a course deviation indicator a RMI has a needle that points to the VOR or NDB depending which one is selected, or on some models you can have both
as I posted previously VOR navigation wasn't the standard until the 1950's,60's it was invented in 1937.....my guess the B-17 has a glide slope indicator.....might be one of the technological advancements that came from WWII
I'm just hoping that you guys can get this gauge to work right, so it isn't just another DG
Thanks
Rick

alioth
Senior Airman

Post by alioth »

are you talking about this one?

or this one?

Arturo.

Captthud
Airman

Post by Captthud »

the bottom one
the RMI
Rick

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Rick,

To reiterate the point myself and others have been trying to explain, this is not an RMI (even if it does look a bit like one). It's a simple remote repeater for the magnetic compass. The single needle shows the aircraft heading, the split arrow is a course reference marker which can be manually rotated using the knob to help the pilot keep the aircraft pointing in the desired direction, and the outer dial is fixed.

WW2_P-51_Mustang_Remote_Compass_Gauge.jpg
WW2_P-51_Mustang_Remote_Compass_Gauge.jpg (166.05 KiB) Viewed 3387 times

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Captthud
Airman

Post by Captthud »

ok I was under the impression that was an RMI. I must apologize for my ignorance and not reading the manual
Thanks for your patience
Rick

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

No problem Rick and happy flying! :)

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”