Historically, was the P-51 as good as they say?

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
new reply
himesgoli59

Historically, was the P-51 as good as they say?

Post by himesgoli59 »

Good day,

I know the P-51D was a great aircraft, good fuel efficiency, fast, etc. It is hailed as the 'plane that won WW2' by some people, though I doubt it. I can't help but think of the fact that the Allies had more aircraft, and were in a better position to replenish them than the Germans every time someone talks about the glory of the P-51. So was it really that good, or did they just have more than enough of them?

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: Historically, was the P-51 as good as they say?

Post by DHenriques_ »

himesgoli59 wrote: 28 Dec 2020, 05:44 Good day,

I know the P-51D was a great aircraft, good fuel efficiency, fast, etc. It is hailed as the 'plane that won WW2' by some people, though I doubt it. I can't help but think of the fact that the Allies had more aircraft, and were in a better position to replenish them than the Germans every time someone talks about the glory of the P-51. So was it really that good, or did they just have more than enough of them?
The technology of the day pretty much equalized the basic performance levels of fighter aircraft between Germany and the United States. Each fighter plane had an area in which it was technically a bit better than its opponent so in that respect individually speaking comparison was basically equal tactically.
Strategically however it was another matter. With the air war being fought over Germany the overwhelming factor was who was there when the fight started and in what number. Due to the range available to the P51 this gave a huge advantage to the Mustang. The war as well was taking its toll o the caliber of equipment available to Germany. Germany's best pilots were being lost without replacement of equal or better skill levels. It was a very bad situation for Germany.
Last but not least was how the pilot skill levels 1 v 1 played out against each other as engagagement was initiated.
The overwhelming answer to your question has to lie not so much with the P51 itself but the fact that its range put it in the skies over Germany ready and capable to fight against a defensive foe fighting for its survival. The answer is more the strategic factor than "which fighter was best".
Dudley Henriques

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Historically, was the P-51 as good as they say?

Post by Ron Attwood »

Beautiful answer. :)
Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”