Stall spin recovery training at Swansea P3dv5.1

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
new reply
Manu F-JOHI
Airman First Class

Stall spin recovery training at Swansea P3dv5.1

Post by Manu F-JOHI »

As I've crashed this bird several times because of stall spins, I needed some training...

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: Stall spin recovery training at Swansea P3dv5.1

Post by DHenriques_ »

Manu F-JOHI wrote: 16 Nov 2020, 06:00

As I've crashed this bird several times because of stall spins, I needed some training...
Spins are not a normal maneuver in the Mustang. If you want to spin a Mustang in the sim, don't do it carrying 40 inches of MP. Power OFF only and even then it's a very iffy maneuver in this airplane.

Have fun.

Dudley Henriques

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Manu F-JOHI wrote: 16 Nov 2020, 06:00 As I've crashed this bird several times because of stall spins, I needed some training...
If you have crashed the airplane due to stall/spin situations, it seems to me that your training time might be better spent on stall/spin situation avoidance and learning to fly the airplane properly. Just sayin'...... :wink:

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

Manu F-JOHI
Airman First Class

Post by Manu F-JOHI »

MkIV Hvd wrote: 16 Nov 2020, 10:45
Manu F-JOHI wrote: 16 Nov 2020, 06:00 As I've crashed this bird several times because of stall spins, I needed some training...
If you have crashed the airplane due to stall/spin situations, it seems to me that your training time might be better spent on stall/spin situation avoidance and learning to fly the airplane properly. Just sayin'...... :wink:

Cheers,
Rob
Hello Rob,

Well the Mustang was conceived for combat so it is one of the perfect aircrafts for aerobat manoeuvers, and when you try to do those kind of manoeuvers it can stall and start a spin easily, so why not train that, plus it's a lot of fun...

best,

M

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Manu F-JOHI wrote: 16 Nov 2020, 12:26
MkIV Hvd wrote: 16 Nov 2020, 10:45

Cheers,
Rob
Hello Rob,

Well the Mustang was conceived for combat so it is one of the perfect aircrafts for aerobat manoeuvers, and when you try to do those kind of manoeuvers it can stall and start a spin easily, so why not train that, plus it's a lot of fun...

best,

M
Spinning a P51 power off is done easily enough but the spin mode is extremely erratic. Altitude loss is the big thing with spins in the Mustang.
Power ON spins in the Mustang are strongly not recommended as carrying power in a spin in the Mustang results in a flat spin mode that is unrecoverable unless power is reduced to idle. Even THEN, the altitude loss during the recovery can be in thousands of feet.
Spins in a MUstang are NOT a "lot of fun". In fact Bob Hoover snapped off the apex of a vertical maneuver in 1972 and almost killed himself.
Bob said later it was as close as he ever got to buying the farm.
I noticed the initial poster was carrying 40 inches into his spin in the sim. My comment was directed to the fact that spinning a P51 at 40 inches of manifold pressure is something I wouldn't be doing in the real Mustang.
You can of course (in the sim) do anything you like if "having fun" is your thing. :-)
Dudley Henriques

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

Hello Rob,

best,

M
I don't think that suitability for combat and aerobatic capability necessarily go hand-in-hand.

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

ratty wrote: 16 Nov 2020, 15:38 I don't think that suitability for combat and aerobatic capability necessarily go hand-in-hand.
Well that's not likely the only criteria, but it's a great start...but only if you can do aerobatic/combat maneuvers without killing yourself in a stall/spin accident before you get to the battle...... :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

ratty wrote: 16 Nov 2020, 15:38
Hello Rob,

best,

M
I don't think that suitability for combat and aerobatic capability necessarily go hand-in-hand.
Actually the term "aerobatic" as relates to a combat aircraft (a fighter specifically) needs a bit of clarification.
Aerobatics cover a VERY wide range of maneuver possibility. Combat, as far as a fighter is concerned, doesn't require anywhere near the maneuver capability of the modern aerobatic aircraft.
Aerobatics as far as combat maneuvering is concerned can be performed well within the capability of any fighter plane.
Dudley Henriques

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”