Won't start manually and radios won't work

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
new reply
TomSteber
Airman

Won't start manually and radios won't work

Post by TomSteber »

Hi all,
So from everything working fine, I now can't manually start the mustang. It will turn over, but not start. And if I use Control+E to start, the engine will start but the radios and GPS will not turn on. Also no nav lights, strobes, etc.
Is this a battery issue? And if so, how do I fix this? I don't see the option of an external power source for the civilian version.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Tom

gulredrel
Master Sergeant

Re: Won't start manually and radios won't work

Post by gulredrel »

Maybe the battery is drained from starting attempts, see here for some description:
viewtopic.php?f=93&t=65112

Generator only outputs power at around 1500rpm minimum. So all the electrics are running on battery alone when in ground idle.

For starting, there are several threads:
viewtopic.php?f=93&t=70410&p=535282&hil ... ng#p535282
First, make sure fuel is loaded through shift + 4 loadout menu and correct tank is selected and fuel cutoff is on. Don't overprime.

Regards
Jens
"Give me a ping, Vasili. One ping only, please."

TomSteber
Airman

Post by TomSteber »

Thanks so much. I never knew about going to the hanger to recharge the battery. And I also tried the trick of not priming until after turning 6 blades and going hot. Fired right up! It will be the new way I start from now on.

gulredrel
Master Sergeant

Post by gulredrel »

Good to hear it's working.
Now try some winter cold morning starts :mrgreen:

TomSteber
Airman

Post by TomSteber »

My whole issue started when I parked it in the Warbirds area at Oshkosh and saved the flight. I'm planning on doing my own virtual Oshkosh with my brother who is coming to visit me during what would have been Oshkosh. It's funny that I've had zero problems with the T-6 though. And both have Accusim. And that's parked and saved there too.

gulredrel
Master Sergeant

Post by gulredrel »

As accusim persists system states, the battery could be weak before saving the flight. As the generator only works with RPMs higher than 1500, if you have all electrical equipment (especially high comsumers like fuel pump, landing light, pitot heat and the different avionics items) on during taxi, it will drain the battery. You should switch everything of, that's not neccessary for taxiing back to parking.

Also make sure you first load a default flight (FSX or P3D default aircraft). Complex aircraft as default flight will most likely lead to some issues. There are several threads to this topic.

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”