P51 NDB

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
new reply
BattleKoala
Airman

P51 NDB

Post by BattleKoala »

Is there any where on the dash I can use the NDB? I see the Shift 5 navigation but, I would like to navigate authentically. Is it hiding under the gun fixture?

LZ-WIL
Master Sergeant

Re: P51 NDB

Post by LZ-WIL »

Hello,

In the military Mustang manual page 26, instrument number 2 is the Remote Indicator Compass. It can be used for NDB navigation.

--
Vladi
Bonanza, Skylane, Skyhawk, Cherokee, Cub, Texan, Mustang, Warhawk, Spitfire, Flying Fortress

Tug002
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tug002 »

I would like to do the same but I find that #2 gives me the same reading as #7.

Keep smiling
Tug :)

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

the ADF never worked for my in the Military P51..
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

The #2 Remote Indicator Compass is the instrument on which you'd see the ADF indications on the single needle for NDB navigation. The dual needle is a remote electric compass so should agree with the DG if the DG's set properly. The thing is...I do not see an ADF radio in the airplane, which should be there somewhere as that's pretty much the only mode of navigation that was available back then... :?

Having said that, I do not have the Military P-51...until later today (just had a look at the manual)...so will have a closer look this evening to confirm what I've said above :wink:
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Like Tug, the remote indicator compass (#2) never indicates anything other than the direction the aircraft is headed or its 180 in the Military version. I can tune an NDB/ADF with the Detrola, and it’s identifier can be heard but the needle doesn’t sync with anything radio related. Same with tuning a VOR, Which really isn’t a bother because I only fly VFR. Maybe this is functionality that got left behind by an update?

The rearward facing radar does work, though! I spent quite a while trying to understand why that damn bell was ringing (on the ground) and trying to figure out how to turn it off...which I suppose means it works if you are formation flying!

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

MkIV Hvd wrote: 10 Jan 2020, 12:51 The #2 Remote Indicator Compass is the instrument on which you'd see the ADF indications on the single needle for NDB navigation. The dual needle is a remote electric compass so should agree with the DG if the DG's set properly. The thing is...I do not see an ADF radio in the airplane, which should be there somewhere as that's pretty much the only mode of navigation that was available back then... :?

Having said that, I do not have the Military P-51...until later today (just had a look at the manual)...so will have a closer look this evening to confirm what I've said above :wink:
Um ya just forget everything I said there......
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

BattleKoala
Airman

Post by BattleKoala »

Thanks for attempting to answer my question gents!
As two of you have stated when I hear the NBD Morse the remote indicator compass #2 (RIC) doesn't change direction. I think the intent was for the RIC needle to connect to the NBD signal. Otherwise why even have gauge #7 (the directional gyro)?

Usually there is a DG and a compass to correct for magnetic deviation. Two gauges to tell you the heading. The there is no reason for 3 gauges with the same function.

Perhaps this functionality was lost in an update?
Hopefully Dudley can set it straight :)

BattleKoala
Airman

Post by BattleKoala »

LZ-WIL wrote: 09 Jan 2020, 09:41 Hello,

In the military Mustang manual page 26, instrument number 2 is the Remote Indicator Compass. It can be used for NDB navigation.

--
Vladi
Hi Vladi,
Maybe it did when you downloaded the P51 Military. But it doesn't now.
Unless I am missing a button to engage the Remote indicator compass to the NDB from it's standard DG setting, I think there is a bug.

Thanks!

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

As I see it the Mil version do not have the RMI instrument, so even though its possible to tune an NDB on the Detrola. the is no way to see the arrow(unless it show up on the F5 map)
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

No, the F5 map just shows the current direction of the P51 and the double line pointer is adjustable.
Regardless, its not an issue for me! Hand flying the Mustang in clouds is a really sketchy adventure. :shock:

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

BattleKoala wrote: 11 Jan 2020, 15:38 Unless I am missing a button to engage the Remote indicator compass to the NDB from it's standard DG setting, I think there is a bug.
You're not missing anything, unless we both are... there appears to be no way to navigate by NDB in the Military Mustang. The indicator in question is nothing more than an electric DG with another double pointer that can be manually set for reference. I see it looks like there is also the ability to tune a VOR station as well, without any way to display that information either. So…NO IFR in the Mil Mustang…the Civ Mustang’s much better in that mode anyway… ;)

Btw an RMI in place of the redundant electric compass solves both issues quite nicely for enroute flight at least, although you still couldn’t shoot an ILS without an OBS…
Jacques wrote: 12 Jan 2020, 00:11
Regardless, its not an issue for me! Hand flying the Mustang in clouds is a really sketchy adventure. :shock:
Yep :shock: :shock:
Years ago in a lesser quality Mustang I wondered why the yellow box around the primary flight instrument group? Now, having hand flown the Mustang in solid IFR conditions, I know EXACTLY why that’s there. It’s because more than a split second’s attention focused outside that box could easily result in your being upside down or diving out of control (or stalling, or…??) by the time you get back inside!!
Rob Wilkinson

BattleKoala
Airman

Post by BattleKoala »

Thanks guys! Yeah, I downloaded the Civ version. As much as I like the Mil version I wanted to be able to fly on vat sim and OMG am I in love with the Civ version. It's absolutely beautiful. The Fluorescent lighting for the gauges is perfect for IFR.

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”