Tweaks for Air Racing

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
new reply
silentsage
Airman

Tweaks for Air Racing

Post by silentsage »

Is there a simple way to edit the aircraft.cfg file to achieve the performance of the P-51s that race at Reno?

The existing A2A aircraft is capable of about 300 MPH around the pylons. Stock racers at Reno run ~350 to 380 MPH, and the unlimiteds are near 500 MPH. Granted, there is no way to implement the clipped wings, etc., that are used in the unlimited class, but it would be nice to get closer to the performance of the Bronze class racers.

Same queestion applies to the T-6 too.

Thanks.

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Tweaks for Air Racing

Post by Tomas Linnet »

Short answer: No :wink:
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

In my Civ Mustang experience with our group flights at Reno, I've clocked over 350 knots in the Valley of Speed, which translates to a touch over 400 mph. Seems about right. It can take a while to get up to speed.

Addendum: That is speed by the GPS, not IAS; Reno/Stead is 5,000 feet up, so the ASI reads slow.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

silentsage wrote: 04 May 2019, 07:17 Is there a simple way to edit the aircraft.cfg file to achieve the performance of the P-51s that race at Reno?

The existing A2A aircraft is capable of about 300 MPH around the pylons. Stock racers at Reno run ~350 to 380 MPH, and the unlimiteds are near 500 MPH. Granted, there is no way to implement the clipped wings, etc., that are used in the unlimited class, but it would be nice to get closer to the performance of the Bronze class racers.

Same queestion applies to the T-6 too.

Thanks.
There are a WHOLE LOT of design changes needed to take a stock Merlin V1650-7 up to a race standard. In short it amounts to a whole new engine, cooling system, oil system, etc. Without these modifications all you have is a stock Mustang with all that implies as to limitations.
A racing Merlin is filled with Allison parts as well. Even the stock Mustangs are "tweaked" a bit. I remember when I was associated with the Miss America team back in 1972, Howie had a Dash-9 Merlin installed in her and we ran an Aero Products prop and we had a working ADI system as well. Even then when Howie raced Miss A he held her back some and well out of traffic.

With our A2A Mustang; if you run it at high manifold pressures long enough I think you'll be spending some time in the Maintenance Hangar. :-))
Dudley Henriques

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”