P-51D cockpit build

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Re: P-51D cockpit build

Post by Raceguy »

Hello everyone

Quick update showing the fuel selectors and emergency hydraulic release I worked on last week. The last two days I have been working on the frame to hold the MIP. I was going to "debezel" the monitor to make the frame smaller and thinner but decided to leave it alone. The Crew Chief had indicated that breaking the monitor during the bezel removal would not be considered battle damage and therefore would not be replaced. We need to follow the wise words of Crew Chiefs from time to time. :lol:

So I routed a 1/4 inch deep groove in the back of the MDF frame for the bezel. Then I removed 1/8 inch up to the opening for the MIP and that leaves a 3/8 facing in most places around the MIP which I thought matched photos. I rounded the edges of the MIP opening and made a cutout where the center control box will be placed. I still need to cut 2 shallow grooves for the wires from the MIP.

Thanks for looking
Ed

If at first you do succeed, try not to look too surprised!

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

You are right up there with Boris and his B-17 cockpit for pure awesomeness with this project thats for sure! 8) Thanks for the regular updates, seeing it come together out of literally nothing is pretty amazing.

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Kilstorm
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kilstorm »

Loving your progress, keep the post coming. Your building an amazing simpit!
i9-13900K O/C | ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | 32GB DDR5 6000MHz Kingston FURY | RTX 4090 24GB | 2x SSD M.2 (2TB Samsung 990 PRO) 1x SSD (4TB Samsung 870 EVO) | Windows 11 Home | H20: HydroLux PRO:HardLine Tubing| 1000w PSU

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Thanks for the encouraging words guys.

I have been following Boris's build and I am amazed at what he has created!

Ed

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Not a lot to show since my last post. I have started to drill for the switches and completed the preliminary work on the power panel.
Sorry about the blurry pics. Not sure what happened besides me being old!!

Thanks
Ed

Fuel shut off

Detrola box

Engine control panel

Switch box lid

Radiator controls

IFF panel

Power and AN/APS panels

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Today I attached the hinged circuit breaker bar. This is not simulated in A2A but my plan is to add electrical toggle switches under the bar for non flight actions like room lights, fans etc.

I also trimmed the frame for the MIP. I had to take a few liberties with the shape to accommodate the LCD frame attached behind. The LCD's upper corners stop 1/8 inch short of the frame edge. I hope it's not too noticeable.

Here are the pics.

Thanks for looking
Ed

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Not much to show for the time I have spent in the shop. I am using the parts from my old racing sim and that is taking longer than building a new one from scratch. :(

Here you can see the MIP frame tacked in place so I could figure out the ribs for the front end. The rectangular hole in the second rib will allow for the base of the main monitor. It will be raised on a secondary stand/bracket to allow for up/down and forward/back adjustment. I plan to place all of the control boards in this front section for easy access. The gap at the base of the back rib is for cable management.

Thanks for looking.
Ed

geedee
Airman

Post by geedee »

Ed

This just 'Plane' rocks mate.

She's a work of art Bud. Are you planning on painting her when at a suitable stage or are you going to simply varnish her ?. A varnished finish on that woodwork would look bl**dy awesome !

I'm hoping to get some work completed on mine but am soo busy at the moment, its not likely to happen until I'm back from the US in mid Sept.

I'm working on an exciting plan that involves a lot of travel with her in your direction next year if its not too expensive. Shan't give away any details yet, but I'm hoping its going to happen. I'll fill you in on details once I know if its affordable ! :-)
Cheers

Gary

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Hi Gary

Thanks for the kind words! With my love of woodworking it's hard not to apply a varnish to the wood but I have plans for a WWII green cockpit. Hmmm, a WWI cockpit would be varnished wood. I’d better wait a while before I suggest a second cockpit to the crew chief!

I'm going to use 12oz spray cans as I do not have a compressor for a full size spray gun. I do have an airbrush for modeling but using A LOT of 1/2oz bottles would be costly and really time consuming. I've tested 7 colors from different manufacturers so far and I think I have a close match to the green. Why doesn't anybody make WWII USA green spray paint for the home? :lol:

Glad to hear you are in the US this summer. I hope you get a chance to see the sights where you are visiting. We have some great aviation museums that I’m sure you would enjoy. I know you have been here before because I saw your GML hat hanging in your cockpit. We were there too and I’m still in awe of the 80+ Mustangs we saw and heard.

I hope your plans for next year materialize. Keep us informed so we can visit.

Today I worked on plans for the instrument panel shroud. That complex shape has me going crazy. :twisted: Any tips on how you formed yours?

Take care
Ed

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Damn that's just cool as hell, very nice indeed!

cheers,
Lewis

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Thanks Lewis!

Ed

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

I must admit that one of the reasons why I love following threads like this is as I hope to one day (when the kids are grown up and left home) take on a project like this for myself. Still a ways off yet but a man can dream right? hehe :D

cheers,
Lewis

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Hi guys

My project hit the "how do I do this" stage and not much has been accomplished. I have learned new words like shucks and darn and phrases like "Well, that didn't work so I need to go to Home Depot for more materials" and "Honey, where are the band-aids? That has been a popular one.... :roll:

Well, here are 2 pics of the windshield frame and instrument shroud. I'm not sure this is the final stage but I thought I would let you know I'm still here.

Take care
Ed

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

haha laughed my ass off with that post Ed!

I too needed the plasters recently when I managed to cheese grate my own fingers. But enough of my nonsense this is great progress the frame looks stunning, any one interested in aviation will know right away that this is a P-51 MUSTANG!

cheers,
Lewis

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Hi guys

Since my last post I have added the rear section frame, the canopy rail support and the canopy rail.

Thanks for looking
Ed

Here are the rails after the first sanding session.

In this pic you get the idea of how they will go together.

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”