P-51D cockpit build

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
new reply
Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Re: P-51D cockpit build

Post by Raceguy »

Lewis - A2A wrote:This chap is the stereotypical British garden shed inventor, lovely stuff
http://www.videojug.com/interview/inventing-2

8)

Thanks for sharing that link Lewis. I really enjoyed his story.

Ed

If at first you do succeed, try not to look too surprised!

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Hello everyone

I have added the side covers for the trim console, made a mounting bracket for the air control switch panel then did a quick test fit before proceeding. I forgot how heavy that seat is! :shock: You can see a small sample of the oak flooring under the trim console for spacing. There are some other structural items completed that are not shown.

Thanks for looking
Ed

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

WOW and to get perspective against the filing cabinets too, easy to forget how big the thing is gonna be :shock: 8)
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Hi Lewis. It's 6 feet long, 3 feet wide and 4 1/2 feet high. It's going to be a tight fit in my room when completed. I keep telling my wife that the underused dining room would make a great place for my sim pit. Forum sensors prohibit my posting of her reply. ( I had to look up some of the words she used :shock: ) It's a good thing it's on wheels. I have 5 feet of floor space in my small shop and push it from side to side for access during the build.

The fuel selector plate has been holding me back since I started planning this build. I found a real one at a P-51 restoration shop but could not justify the price. I then checked with the company that made my MIP and that too was costly. I had resolved myself to making a decal until I found a forum post about P-51 parts at Shapeways. They did not show a final product, just a picture generated from the product drawings, so I took a chance and ordered one. It arrived yesterday and I am very impressed with the quality. Now I need to get it painted and installed.

Take care
Ed

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Hi guys

I was never really happy with the first metal shroud. I was concerned about handling and cutting a 2x4 foot piece of metal so I got 2 2x2’s and bolted them together. I called it “battle damage”. The closer we get to Halloween the more it looked like a Frankenstein project gone bad.

So I was off to the home center for a 2x4 foot piece that I should have used the first time. I’ve been there so much they now wave and ask how the project is coming along. I’ll probably get a Christmas card from the store manager!

The wrinkle on the side will be corrected before I put on the skin.

Also, I have started painting the fuel selector and will post pics in a few days.

Thanks for looking
Ed

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Raceguy wrote:Hi guys

I was never really happy with the first metal shroud. I was concerned about handling and cutting a 2x4 foot piece of metal so I got 2 2x2’s and bolted them together. I called it “battle damage”. The closer we get to Halloween the more it looked like a Frankenstein project gone bad.

So I was off to the home center for a 2x4 foot piece that I should have used the first time. I’ve been there so much they now wave and ask how the project is coming along. I’ll probably get a Christmas card from the store manager!

The wrinkle on the side will be corrected before I put on the skin.

Also, I have started painting the fuel selector and will post pics in a few days.

Thanks for looking
Ed

As part of the checkout I gave when transitioning a Mustang owner into their airplane after their dual flying the T6 from the back seat I would have them go through a blindfold cockpit check where they would reach out and touch something as I asked for it.
I have no doubt whatsoever that when you are through with this pit project you could stick a 51 pilot in there blindfolded and they wouldn't realize it was a manufactured cockpit.
Super work !
Dudley Henriques

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Hi Dudley

Thank you for your kind words of encouragement. You can't imagine what that means to me, coming from you, a Mustang pilot. If you ever get to the Tampa, FL area you have an open invitation for a visit.

Today I started working on the oxygen regulator. I have no plans or dimensions for this part. I am estimating its size by comparing it to other items in photographs where I know the dimensions. I'll post pics soon.

I finished the paint on the fuel selector today and here is a pic.

Thanks everyone
Ed

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Raceguy wrote:Hi Dudley

Thank you for your kind words of encouragement. You can't imagine what that means to me, coming from you, a Mustang pilot. If you ever get to the Tampa, FL area you have an open invitation for a visit.

Today I started working on the oxygen regulator. I have no plans or dimensions for this part. I am estimating its size by comparing it to other items in photographs where I know the dimensions. I'll post pics soon.

I finished the paint on the fuel selector today and here is a pic.

Thanks everyone
Ed
Thank you. We have family in Ormond Beach but that's on the other end of route 4 and you know what a mess it is to drive route 4 :-))
Anyway, keep on trucking. The pit looks great ! :-)
D

spork
Staff Sergeant

Post by spork »

It's coming along nicely! With such excellent woodworking skills I don't see why you don't just build a real plane. :P
ImageImage
ImageImage

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Ho spork

Thank you for the compliments. There are several reasons I am not building a real plane.
1. I over build everything so if I built a real plane it would weigh as much as a Army tank and have the same flight characteristics.
2. Real planes go up and down. Having flown real planes may times (I am not a pilot but a friend is an instructor) I feel more comfortable having a reset button.
3. I have always wanted to build and fly an RC plane. See item 2
4. I have been working on an RC boat and it is about 60% complete. That being said, I am a Divemaster and if it sinks I can go after it.

Here is what I have accomplished so far on the O2 regulator.

Thanks
Ed

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Hi everyone.

Today I made the emergency canopy release. I haven't found support in FSX yet but the handle will be there if I later find the command.

Thanks for looking
Ed

geedee
Airman

Post by geedee »

Jeez dude, your rank should be changed from 'Airman First Class to 'Fifty One Fabricator First Class' !

I'll be 'borrowing' some of your ideas as I really need to get to grips with my 'Babe over the next few months...read major interior rebuild.

I really must update my thread as you're putting me to shame here...and if we can get some more '51 pits to be started at the same time, then all the better as you can never have enough Mustangs !

Keep on doing what you're doing.
Cheers

Gary

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Hi Gary

Good to hear from you and thank you for the compliments. I still refer to your build when I am stumped with something on mine.

Getting everything painted and connected behind the '51 components is now my goal.

I agree, we need more pit builders. Everyone can share their ideas.

Take care
Ed

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

It'd be nice to see an update on your pit Gary, as you both say cant have enough cockpit threads and people building hehe 8)

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

Hello everyone

Small projects have been the topic in the shop lately. As posted earlier I had cut the landing gear mechanism from my Saitek switch panel. What was not shown was the removal of the magneto switch components for placement into the center switch box. I have been thinking about the remaining switches in the panel and here is the direction “I think” I will be heading.

Since FSX will be my main sim and the gunsight, even though modeled by A2A, has no benefit, I have decided that it will not be installed. (I think) In the switch panel I inverted the landing gear lights to match the mains and tail wheel of the Mustang. I then made a new section where the LG was removed and filled in the hole from the magneto switch. I removed the original labels and plan to paint the panel and add new text. I plan (I think) to add a few more switches in these areas. I just have to decide what to install. This panel will be installed in place of the gunsight making this a MIL Mustang with some contemporary additions.

Here is what I have so far.

I have no building plans for O2 regulator so I started construction by comparing it to known objects where I did have dimensions. I was trying to decide how to make the two switch knobs when I found a generous person that sent them to me! They are from an out of service A-12 regulator. Now I can start on the internal components.

I won’t have a canopy but I want to model the function so I started on the canopy handle. I glued two strips of poplar together and cut the handle to shape. The knob is from Hobby Lobby’s craft department. It looked like an oversize spool that could hold sewing thread. I shaped it with a rasp and sandpaper.

Thanks for looking and stay safe.

Ed

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”