optimum landing speed

Arguably the finest fighter aircraft of World War II.
new reply
guard2017a
Airman First Class

optimum landing speed

Post by guard2017a »

I finally got take offs mastered(sort of) but when I try to land either I am too fast and plane bounces gears collapses and prop gets bent. So I if anyone could tell the optimum angle of approach and landing speed I would be most appreciative thanks in advance.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: optimum landing speed

Post by DHenriques_ »

guard2017a wrote:I finally got take offs mastered(sort of) but when I try to land either I am too fast and plane bounces gears collapses and prop gets bent. So I if anyone could tell the optimum angle of approach and landing speed I would be most appreciative thanks in advance.
I have a complete tutorial somewhere around here on landing the Mustang. Perhaps someone can find it for you. It's pretty comprehensive.
Aside from that, the way to land these high performance fighters is absolutely centered around a stabilized approach. Just follow the recommended speeds and use the book for when and where to configure. Over the fence around 120 decelerating should be about right at average gross weight.
Don't get discouraged. It takes some degree of practice to get it right. If you are not stabilized over the numbers take it around and try it again.
Dudley Henriques

guard2017a
Airman First Class

Post by guard2017a »

thanks Dudley I will keep trying

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

guard2017a wrote:thanks Dudley I will keep trying
One thing that might help you with this.

Something I had all my students do in real life instructing.

If you are practicing and screw up and/or if you feel yourself getting frustrated, take a break. Back off for a bit, sit down and think about what you did and what might have caused you to screw up. Then go back and try it again.

I've put forth an argument for years to flight instructors (with much success I might add) that much of the actual learning you do associated with flying an airplane occurs not when you are flying the plane but during the periods between the times when you are flying the pane. It's then, when you are relaxed and not under pressure, when thinking about what you did begins to make sense and comprehension takes hold. The next time you fly this comprehension comes with you. It's a step by step learning process.
It works ! Try it.
Dudley Henriques

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Here’s a thread that contains flying tips and links to other threads with flying tips on the Mustang.
Just hang in there. It’s very rewarding when you get it right.
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

That’s the thread I meant to link in my previous post! That’s what happens when you don’t check what your posting :roll: :oops:

Thanks for the link!
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

SJDobby
Airman

Post by SJDobby »

DHenriquesA2A wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 11:42…the actual learning you do associated with flying an airplane occurs not when you are flying the plane but during the periods between the times when you are flying the pane. It's then, when you are relaxed and not under pressure, when thinking about what you did….
Whenever I fly any A2A product (especially the warbirds and the Texan) I wear two hats : one as an instructor and one as a student. After every flight (particularly if something was not quite right, such as a ballooned landing) I run a “debrief” with myself (usually with a coffee in my “virtual clubhouse” a.k.a. my kitchen!) critiquing the flight, verbally reciting what went right, and what went wrong (and why), and how to remedy said issues on the next flight. If time permits, once the coffee is finished, I get right back on the horse (or Mustang :D ) and try again.
ImageImage

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

I frequently review Dudley's great tips on flying the Mustang. Also, I found this YouTube video to be helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtFeJ-y ... ex=8&t=12s. MkIV Harvard puts the Mustang through her paces to get a feel for low-speed characteristics, finishing up with some nice landings at Hoquiam Airport (KHQM). Worth a watch.

Seeya
ATB

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Thanks Paughco, much appreciated!

Cheers.
Rob
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

new reply

Return to “P-51 Mustang (Military & Civilian)”