Yet again, Input Configurator does not save changes for FSX

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
donald.barstow
Airman Basic

Yet again, Input Configurator does not save changes for FSX

Post by donald.barstow »

Sorry if I appear cross or short with anyone, but I am extremely frustrated by something that should be SO simple. I just want to set a joystick button to the Hydraulic Pump Switch in the P40. So I run the Input Configurator, set the button in there, press the Save button, and get the pop up that says "Can't save configuration. Please verify that the path to FSX is correct and the P40 is properly installed."

After 3 or 4 hours of Googling and trying, here are all the things I have tried that DID NOT WORK. (BTW, this is disk edition of FSX updated through Acceleration on WIn 10, all installed as Administrator).
1. Run Configurator as administrator. No change.
2, Looked for "File tab at upper left of Configurator to select the FSX folder". My configurator has no tabs, no way to select any folder, and nothing but two simple boxes - one for axis items and one for buttons - to enter the settings, and then a SAVE and an Exit button at the bottom.
3. Checked the AppPath in HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0. It does have the correct path for FSX (including "Program FIles (x86)"), so no progress there.
4. Unclear whether it wanted the FSX program folder, or the folder My Documents\A2A\FSX\P40 and an axisConfig.cfg in that folder. The folder was there. but no cfg file, so I created one. I saw no reason from the security settings on the file and all container folders why "Run as Admin" would not work if that is the correct file in the correct folder, but it sill didn't.
5. I saw some references to SimConnect. I do have SimConnect set up for my FSX only because I run ActiveSky on a second computer, and they talk using SimConnect. But I never saw any mention or any instructions for configuring SimConnect for the Input Configurator. I have no idea whether what I have would work or not for that.

So PLEASE. Can someone ... anyone ... just tell me what file in what folder I should create, and what I need to put in it to assign joystick 0 button 2 to Hydraulic Pump Switch?????

Thanks for any assistance....

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Yet again, Input Configurator does not save changes for FSX

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello Donald and sorry to hear about your frustration.

There shouldn't be any need to manually create files for the input configurator, so if you've done this, please can you delete it.

Then please can you follow the steps below:
  1. Run the Accu-Sim update here.
  2. Run the SimConnect installer here: https://a2asimulations.com/public/downl ... onnect.msi.
  3. Run the DirectX installer from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... aspx?id=35.
Also, please can you let us know whether you've got any third-party antivirus software running, and if so, from which provider?

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

donald.barstow
Airman Basic

Re: Yet again, Input Configurator does not save changes for FSX

Post by donald.barstow »

Hey Nick,
Thanks for your quick response.

I had done the AccuSim update yesterday, and found it made no difference. I also did the DirectDraw update, and it said I was fully up to date.

So I was pondering installing the SimConnect file you sent me, and then with a clearer head this morning, I had an inspiration derived from another problem I had elsewhere in FSX and solved recently. It turns out dealing with that issue solved the Input Configurator problem, as well. So, let me explain, as I think this will affect a lot of folks who use FSX on Windows 10.

I cannot pinpoint the timing, but recently a Windows 10 update installed a new Ransomware protection in Windows Security, and it is, by default, on. Doing some investigation, I found that this Ransomware protection prevents un-signed and insecure programs from reading or writing anything to a number of folders, including anything under one's Documents folder tree, even if run as administrator. Today, my brain finally made the connection between the fact that the axisConfig.cfg file is in my Documents tree and this Ransomware protection problem. I went to Settings -> Update & Security -> Windows Security -> Virus & Threat Protection -> Manage Ransomware Protection and turned off the "Controlled Folder access" feature. Then I ran the Configurator again, and VOILA!!! It saved the file. YAY!!! I am so happy now!!

The other problem I had was that none of my saved flights would show up when I went to load one in FSX. This is because the saved flights are stored in Documents\Flight Simulator X Files, and there we are in the Documents tree again. I don't know if this would affect Steam or P3D users, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Since FSX is old, and clearly unsigned and insecure, and it and 3rd party add-ons may use files and folders under Documents, this can happen in a lot of difference circumstances. It is an easy workaround, but you have to know why it happens when it happens, or just make it a habit to always turn off this Ransomware protection when running FSX.

By the way, I love the P40 - it is so cool. I am thinking now about the Spitfire and the B-17 (and I have ridden in a real B-17!)

Thanks again,
Don

new reply

Return to “P-40 Tech Support”