Landing gear checks.

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Oldnavy
Airman First Class

Landing gear checks.

Post by Oldnavy »

The landing gear doesn't seem to go up when selected. I've used the gear handle to control it and not response.

I had it on jacks and wanted to raise and lower the landing gear. Isn't is (Landing gear) suppose to operate on jacks.

The "G" switch will cause the gear handle to move but not the wheels. I've seen it work before when taking off.

So is this plane coded to raise/lower the landing gear with only the gear handle or will the "G" key also operate it?

BTW - using Win10.

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Re: Landing gear checks.

Post by MkIV Hvd »

The 'G' key does operate the gear, but you also need to activate the hydraulic pump to provide the power to do that. There's some good stuff in the manual... :D
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUcqbytR9Ts&t=12s. Then map a button on your joystick to operate the hydraulic pump, using the P-40 Input Configurator.

Seeya
ATB

Oldnavy
Airman First Class

Post by Oldnavy »

This is some of the "freaky" stuff this plane does in P3D V3.4

Attached is photo(s) of where I wanted to raise the flaps (engine running) and the flap switch is set for full up yet
as you see on the spot view they are down.

Another thing, is the "G" key will sometimes operate the landing gear, and not. If I use the actual red landing gear lever it doesn't seem to
do anything with the landing gear. Yes, I can cycle that hydraulic lever and the gear will move, but that is doing things the hard way I would think.

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

OldNavy: As stated previously, operation of the hydraulic system to raise and lower the gear and flaps is explained in the video I linked in my post above. Oh yeah. Our A2A P-40s are P-40Bs and P-40Cs, and the systems are a bit different from the Merlin powered P-40F used in the video. But the basic stuff is the same. It's a great airplane once you dig in and RTFM and maybe watch some of the videos. It needs to be handled like a real P-40.

Seeya
ATB

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Oldnavy,

Yes, the guys are giving you great advice here on operating the P-40. Sounds like you may just need to familiarise yourself with the peculiarities of the hydraulics system in the P-40. The video that Paughco posted, and indeed the manual are good sources of info on this.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Oldnavy
Airman First Class

Post by Oldnavy »

Yes Nick you may be right about getting familiar with operation of all the bits that one has to twiddlle with to fly it. :)

I was expecting a positive reaction to the inputs I gave from within the cockpit. At times. the plane seems fickle (intermittent operation) when it comes to the landing gear
and flaps. Sometimes starting it up. I know that there is a sequence to starting up this beast and eventually, I may get there.

I am retired Navy VietNam vet and was assigned to both F-8 and F-4 squadrons on various carriers (Aviation ordnance). I have deep admiration for those pilots who
started up their aircraft and launched from the carriers I cruised on. I am familiar with NATOPS manuals and therein are the steps to starting up the aircraft.
A lot of technical info at best for me. That is why I was a ground pounder and maintainer of those jets and not a pilot...

Shalom :)

Tug002
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tug002 »

I had the same problem with the flaps and gear, so after reading the manual I found out that you had to press the top button on the stick to manually run the hydraulic pump for the flaps and gear, as mentioned above by Paughco.

Keep smiling
Tug :)

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

First powered flight was in 1903. The P-40 was designed only 35 or so years later. It’s NOT “the Cadillac of the Skies.”

Seeya
ATB

Pistonpilot
Technical Sergeant

Post by Pistonpilot »

Part of why the gear and flap operation can seem "random" is that your hydraulic system can hold some pressure between uses. It's actually a fantastically realistic facet of A2A's Accu-Sim modeling. The system holds pressure and then uses that stored pressure (which is not enough to completely raise the gear, for example) until it rapidly runs out... then you have to manually run the pump to build more pressure and finish the job. You can hear the pump's tone change when the gear is fully up and even "feel" the pressure if you try and move the manual hand-pump handle (not the gear handle). If the system is pressurized, the manual hand-pump handle will only jiggle a little. If it's not fully topped up with pressure, the handle will move dramatically more when you click and hold as you manually add pressure to the system. I use this as part of my gear-up check; I flip the gear lever to "up", press and hold the electric pump button on the stick to build pressure and run the gear up, listen for the electic's pump's wine to change as it struggles to fully pressurizes the system, then jiggle the manual hand-pump handle to confirm the gear is fully up. Then I check the indicator. It's super satisfying to have so much feedback!

-Ian C

DWC Alumni. Commercial Instrument Single/Multi-Engine Land. [Former] Police, Fire, & 9-1-1 Dispatcher. [Former] MAINEiac Crew Chief.

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

On the Shift-3 panel you'll find "Auto hydr. pump". If you enable this, the pumping is done automatically and the gear and flaps react as you would expect from other aircraft. You can still activate the pump handle to make sure the gear is fully up or down. The G key will move the lever between neutral, gear up, neutral, gear down, back to neutral. Using the keyboard flaps controls will set the flaps lever. Make sure the levers are in neutral when not in use.

Actually, doing things the hard way is part of the charm of the P-40. :D

Hook

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Hook wrote: 31 Mar 2020, 06:59 Actually, doing things the hard way is part of the charm of the P-40. :D
That is a true thing Hook!! ...and real men do NOT use the auto hydraulic pump...just sayin'... :mrgreen:
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

new reply

Return to “P-40 Tech Support”