Wheel landing blues

Honest, reliable, iconic American fighter
Assinthewind1
Airman

Wheel landing blues

Post by Assinthewind1 »

Attempted a three-pointer at Old Warden, bounced, came down on the mains and decided to keep the tail in the air for forward visibility - not a good idea! Good job I had the canopy open - I was able to outrun the groundskeeper... :arrow:
Attachments
2021-3-16_21-56-37-120.jpg
2021-3-16_21-56-37-120.jpg (288.19 KiB) Viewed 6097 times

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Wheel landing blues

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Ouch! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Assinthewind1
Airman

Post by Assinthewind1 »

I've heard it said many times: "If you can land a T-6 you can land anything". Hmmm - T-6 into the same airfield is a walk in the park. I'll have to watch Kermit's video of a real one at FoF again and prepare for LOTS of practice! :shock: It's a great airplane though... thanks to A2A for making it freeware.

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

In my experience, this one doesn't three-point very well, though I don't have a lot of time in it and it could be just my ham-fistedness. I recommend the "tail-low wheel landing" suggested for the Mustang (which, oddly, I can three-point pretty reliably).

Assinthewind1
Airman

Post by Assinthewind1 »

ratty wrote: 16 Mar 2021, 20:01 In my experience, this one doesn't three-point very well, though I don't have a lot of time in it and it could be just my ham-fistedness. I recommend the "tail-low wheel landing" suggested for the Mustang (which, oddly, I can three-point pretty reliably).
Thanks ratty, I'll patch her up and give that a try. I've heard elsewhere that it's a good alternative technique to the three-pointer :wink:

Assinthewind1
Airman

Post by Assinthewind1 »

Yes, that seems to work - Whilst the 'C' is being fitted with a new prop and main bearings :oops: I tried a few T&G's in the AVG: a tad faster and higher on approach then flare to a not-quite-a-three-point attitude, touching down on the mains at 90mph with a touch of forward stick and all is good. It seems the key here is to get gear and flaps down early and don't be shy with the power - trying to do everything at once was probably giving me an excessively high sink-rate hence the bounce. Quite a learning curve for sure, but great fun!
Attachments
thumbnail.jpg
thumbnail.jpg (277.04 KiB) Viewed 6059 times

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

Sounds like you're getting the hang of it. Because of the massive nose-down tendency I generally lower my wheels early to get holding the hydraulic button, jiggling the lever and retrimming out of the way.

Have you looked at Dreamsofwings' videos about the P-40? viewtopic.php?f=82&t=71585

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Here's a pretty good video on landing the P-40 by SimCFI. I'm the guy that requested it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG8uVYc ... dex=5&t=7s.

I've got it saved as one of my favorites. Hmm. Think I'll watch it again.

Seeya
ATB

Assinthewind1
Airman

Post by Assinthewind1 »

ratty wrote: 17 Mar 2021, 18:09 Sounds like you're getting the hang of it. Because of the massive nose-down tendency I generally lower my wheels early to get holding the hydraulic button, jiggling the lever and retrimming out of the way.

Have you looked at Dreamsofwings' videos about the P-40? viewtopic.php?f=82&t=71585
Yes, I watched all three yesterday - very helpful - you certainly need to stay ahead of this airplane! Thanks for your help... :)

Assinthewind1
Airman

Post by Assinthewind1 »

Paughco wrote: 17 Mar 2021, 22:35 Here's a pretty good video on landing the P-40 by SimCFI. I'm the guy that requested it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG8uVYc ... dex=5&t=7s.

I've got it saved as one of my favorites. Hmm. Think I'll watch it again.

Seeya
ATB
Thanks Paughco, that pretty much confirms that I've been too low and a bit too slow on the approach. Also, I don't have Track IR and have the zoom set to 1.0 so I'm a lot closer to the panel than in this video and have to do a LOT of hat-switch jigging. I like the close-in view though as it feels more realistic - guess I'll be making a hardware purchase soon... :roll:

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

TrackIR is a game changer! Once you get it tuned to your preference you wonder how you got along without it.

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Assinthewind1 wrote: 18 Mar 2021, 05:47 Thanks Paughco, that pretty much confirms that I've been too low and a bit too slow on the approach. Also, I don't have Track IR and have the zoom set to 1.0 so I'm a lot closer to the panel than in this video and have to do a LOT of hat-switch jigging. I like the close-in view though as it feels more realistic - guess I'll be making a hardware purchase soon... :roll:
Glad you got some use out of that video.

I think my zoom is set around 0.8 or 0.7. Also, I've got one of the thumb rockers on my Thrustmaster throttle set to move view in, out, up (for taxiing, mostly) and down. Track IR would be really cool, though, but I can't get past the dorkiness of that little reindeer antler thingy on the headset.

Also, it REALLY helps to open the canopy as you enter the pattern. Much improvement to visibility and situational awareness during base and turning onto final. Here's another great video, also saved in my favorites: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOIg7Jx ... dex=6&t=7s. The helpful tips about landing come in around 28 min 15 sec.

The P-40 is a great aircraft. "With men like these... flying planes like these... there will always be a flag like this, waving in the breeze!"

Seeya
ATB

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

Paughco wrote: 18 Mar 2021, 13:33 ". . . but I can't get past the dorkiness of that little reindeer antler thingy on the headset."
Fortunately, I'm unencumbered by concerns for "looking good". :D However, I know you wear baseball caps, Paughco, and the hat clip that is part of the kit works well for me when I'm not using a headset.

Assinthewind1
Airman

Post by Assinthewind1 »

Paughco wrote: 18 Mar 2021, 13:33
Assinthewind1 wrote: 18 Mar 2021, 05:47 Thanks Paughco, that pretty much confirms that I've been too low and a bit too slow on the approach. Also, I don't have Track IR and have the zoom set to 1.0 so I'm a lot closer to the panel than in this video and have to do a LOT of hat-switch jigging. I like the close-in view though as it feels more realistic - guess I'll be making a hardware purchase soon... :roll:
Glad you got some use out of that video.

I think my zoom is set around 0.8 or 0.7. Also, I've got one of the thumb rockers on my Thrustmaster throttle set to move view in, out, up (for taxiing, mostly) and down. Track IR would be really cool, though, but I can't get past the dorkiness of that little reindeer antler thingy on the headset.

Also, it REALLY helps to open the canopy as you enter the pattern. Much improvement to visibility and situational awareness during base and turning onto final. Here's another great video, also saved in my favorites: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOIg7Jx ... dex=6&t=7s. The helpful tips about landing come in around 28 min 15 sec.

The P-40 is a great aircraft. "With men like these... flying planes like these... there will always be a flag like this, waving in the breeze!"

Seeya
ATB
You've probably seen this, but just in case: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rki8tnsLodQ

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Thank you for that. Yep - seen it. It's a good one. I really miss Paul Allen's FHCAM Museum up at Paine Field. They had a beautiful AVG P-40B/C there. It was worth the motorcycle ride up there just to stand in front of that airplane and check it out. They actually flew that airplane a few times a year. The museum is closed now.

Seeya
ATB

new reply

Return to “P-40 Warhawk / Tomahawk”