Oxygen and Hypoxia Test

Honest, reliable, iconic American fighter
new reply
florence
Senior Airman

Oxygen and Hypoxia Test

Post by florence »

Hi, today I wanted to do an oxygen test on your MAGNIFICENT P40, I set the height on the device to 19000 feet and slowly I went up to 18000 feet, then 1000 feet below the established height, but after 15/20 minutes about the breathing has become heavy, I wanted to insist to see what happens and in fact hypoxia has intervened ... at this point then I ask you if the height was less than 1000 feet than that set for oxygen because I have lost consciousness? however everything ended well I went down immediately, even if the cockpit went completely black and I didn't see anything anymore, and I managed to get back on the plane and land.

Thank you David

P.S. I've never had so much fun
as from when I fly A2A YOU ARE FANTASTIC !!!
I will only buy A2A products !!

Hook
Master Sergeant

Re: Oxygen and Hypoxia Test

Post by Hook »

Apparently they're taking into account density altitude. I've been able to fly higher than my oxygen was set for. So far I haven't had any symptoms of hypoxia.

Hook

florence
Senior Airman

Post by florence »

Hook wrote: 27 Jun 2020, 11:38 Apparently they're taking into account density altitude. I've been able to fly higher than my oxygen was set for. So far I haven't had any symptoms of hypoxia.

Hook
thank you but unfortunately Google Translate does not translate your answer in Italian ... you don't understand the meaning of the first part of your reasoning ... every time this problem I'm sorry ... :cry: :cry:

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

Sorry about that! :D

OK, let me see what I can do. Density Altitude is the apparent altitude you are flying at, as experienced by your airplane (and your body), after taking into account outside temperature and barometric pressure (the altimeter setting). This can be quite different from your indicated altitude. If the barometric pressure and temperature on the ground are a standard setting (29.92 inches, 15 degrees C), and the temperature has lowered according to altitude in a standard way (I think it's 2 degrees C per thousand feet), your Density Altitude will be the same as your indicated altitude.

Someone with more experience might describe it better than I can.

Hook

florence
Senior Airman

Post by florence »

Hook wrote: 27 Jun 2020, 14:14 Sorry about that! :D

OK, let me see what I can do. Density Altitude is the apparent altitude you are flying at, as experienced by your airplane (and your body), after taking into account outside temperature and barometric pressure (the altimeter setting). This can be quite different from your indicated altitude. If the barometric pressure and temperature on the ground are a standard setting (29.92 inches, 15 degrees C), and the temperature has lowered according to altitude in a standard way (I think it's 2 degrees C per thousand feet), your Density Altitude will be the same as your indicated altitude.

Someone with more experience might describe it better than I can.

Hook
OK perfect, clearer thank you, maybe for me a little technical .... but more or less I understand what you mean ... you have to excuse me I'm a little ignorant .. ultimately you don't need to set 18000 on oxygen and then go to 18000 and believe that there are other factors that can change the situation ... and therefore it is not mathematical one must always be vigilant ...

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

There are ways to calculate the density altitude, but they're beyond my capability to explain. :D And I don't know if that's actually what is happening.

When I'm flying high, I usually just adjust my oxygen as I ascend. No matter what the setting is on the gauge if I feel any effects of hypoxia I'm going to set the gauge to give me more oxygen.

So, yes. Be vigilant. :)

Hook

florence
Senior Airman

Post by florence »

Hook wrote: 27 Jun 2020, 15:12 There are ways to calculate the density altitude, but they're beyond my capability to explain. :D And I don't know if that's actually what is happening.

When I'm flying high, I usually just adjust my oxygen as I ascend. No matter what the setting is on the gauge if I feel any effects of hypoxia I'm going to set the gauge to give me more oxygen.

So, yes. Be vigilant. :)

Hook
really many thanks you have been very helpful for me sorry for my english macaroni :( ... i am very happy to write in this forum i always find very kind and helpful people :D ... it is a pleasure every time to solve problems.
Hi, David

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Hi David,

We actually simulate oxygen levels in the blood. Hypoxia is a very dangerous thing that pilots have to deal with, even those who fly at legal altitudes (12,500 feet and under). I'm glad you are enjoying this as we enjoyed making this simulation of it.

Scott
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “P-40 Warhawk / Tomahawk”