How to handle the hangar...

Honest, reliable, iconic American fighter
new reply
Zacke
Staff Sergeant

How to handle the hangar...

Post by Zacke »

Hey guys,

this is concerning more or less all accu sim aircraft but in the moment I'm exclusively flying my wonderful Tomahawk.

I think the warbirds under war circumstances were maintained on a daily intervall or even after every mission. The GA aircrafts have there own maintenance intervalls (at least 25 hours or so).
I don't want to open my P40 hangar before or after every flight because I want to learn to sense upcoming issues while using this machine. The problem is there are different categories of possible failures or things to maintain: There's routine stuff (filters, brakes etc.) and there are parts that wear in a more or less unpredictable way. There's no way to separate this stuff in the hangar.
In other words: If you use the hangar in quite short periods you are warned of nearly just everything that could go wrong in flight. If you enter the hangar in quite long periods there's maybe routine stuff that you would have discovered through a walkaround or a small routine check or things you just can't discover by flying the bird. I think you know what I want to say (I'm sure there has been discussions on the forum concerning that one).

Yes, it seems to be a question of how often you check in with hangar. Maybe it's a little bit a question of faith. :wink:

Don't get me wrong: This is no critisism of how accu sim is programmed. I absolutely love it since the Stratocruiser. I'm just interested how the other pilots handle that one.

Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad english,
Zacke

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Re: How to handle the hangar...

Post by AviationAtWar »

I try to stay out of the hangar to some extent because I want to be surprised when there is a failure. For the most part I replace things as they fail only, with the exception of oil filters. Oil and fuel filters will go yellow then red based on engine hours because they're maintenance items. I'll replace my oil filters when they go yellow because I don't want to risk low oil pressure and crank failure, which would then require an overhaul and take your engine hours back to zero.

Zacke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Zacke »

Thanks for your fast repsonse.

Ok. Did I get you right you change filters in fixed intervalls independend of yellow/red status? Otherwise you would even stumble in the hangar and see the state of the other parts.

Where's your time treshold between routine stuff (filters etc.) and waiting till s.th. breaks?

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

It appears that oil, fuel and air filters go yellow every 30 hours if replaced on schedule for the P-40.

You could hold off checking the hangar except at 30 hour intervals when you replace the filters.

Hook

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

I replace just the oil filters when they go yellow, they will go yellow or red based on time (oil filter life is probably shortened if you have crankshaft/bearing damage also, but they will go yellow then red on a healthy engine just because they're maintenance items).

I seem to recall fuel and oil filters will go yellow at 30 hours on the warbirds but that may not be correct.

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

I don't want to open my P40 hangar before or after every flight because I want to learn to sense upcoming issues while using this machine.
I noticed my P-40 getting a little hotter on the ground than usual for a couple of flights. Then I had a notice from the mechanic to replace the radiator. It was yellow. It may have been one degree hotter in cruise, not enough to worry much about at the low power levels I use, about 22" and 2100 RPM, 30 gph US, 25 gph Imp.

About this time it seemed that I was using a lot of coolant over several flights. Eventually I got a notice that we were loosing coolant. It was yellow too.

If you're keeping a close watch on the aircraft you'll probably notice symptoms before they appear as problems in the hangar. I've been checking the hangar before and after every fight.

Hook

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

I give my virtual crew chief a virtual case of beer after every mission in my P-40, and he always keeps it in perfect condition. He has a wall of empty beer cans on one side of his hootch.

Seeya
ATB

Zacke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Zacke »

Paughco wrote: 29 Apr 2020, 21:43 I give my virtual crew chief a virtual case of beer after every mission in my P-40, and he always keeps it in perfect condition. He has a wall of empty beer cans on one side of his hootch.

Seeya
ATB
Does he keep the case of beer or the P-40 in perfect condition? :P

Zacke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Zacke »

Ok guys, thanks for your help so far.

30 hours seems to be a good value to work with. I didn't know there are items in the hangar that are strictly time based (like oil and fuel filters). Rather I thought really everything wears down dependent how you treat it. But in this case I would be glad we have a constant here. (the fuel filters are dependent how hard you push her?)

Do we have a list or a screenshot that shows absolute every item that could be covered in the hangar (like this one at 24:50: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4mvWzQWtgM)? If not could somebody slam her in the ground until everything is red and send me a screenshot of the hangar then? :twisted: :?: :cry:

I think about a real-life-connected "sim model" for me around that one: Everytime I think I have to have a check for my P-40 I have to do one unit of strenght training. Every time a item in the hangar has to be fixed an additional unit. So that's my "price" of the maintenance. Furthermore it gives flight simming a much better plausibility and a stronger relationship with real life. At least maintaining a warbird can be quite a physical experience I think. :lol: :lol: :lol:

new reply

Return to “P-40 Warhawk / Tomahawk”