hard to start: throttle position at start up

Honest, reliable, iconic American fighter
new reply
Zacke
Staff Sergeant

hard to start: throttle position at start up

Post by Zacke »

Hey guys,

my Tomahawk seems to desire a wide opened throttle for catching at start up. I have to open it up to where the label "closed" (mixture) stops or even more. That seems a little bit much to me. When she catches she then revs up to over 1500 rpm.

I try to start with the mixture closed. Priming very low and priming high seems not to make a difference. Fuel pressure is there through hand pumping. Mags are on.

Could anybody give me an advice where the throttle should stand when starting? Then I could probably work out the other variables.

Or is it normal to play around with the throttle and rev her up eventually at start up? I know from the Spitfire to keep the throttle low (not touching it while starting) and only use the primer to get her going.

Thanks in advance,
Zacke

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Re: hard to start: throttle position at start up

Post by AviationAtWar »

For any of the warbirds I use 10-12% throttle for startup. The P-40 I usually give three shots of prime and don't have too much issue. If I recall, it became more sensitive to over priming around the time the T-6 was released.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Zacke wrote: 19 Apr 2020, 13:02 Hey guys,

my Tomahawk seems to desire a wide opened throttle for catching at start up. I have to open it up to where the label "closed" (mixture) stops or even more. That seems a little bit much to me. When she catches she then revs up to over 1500 rpm.
It sounds like you may be over priming and flooding the engine? Check the engine temps before starting as you want to be careful as a warm engine needs little or no primer. And keep in mind the engine cools realtime regardless of whether it's loaded or not. So if the engine is warm, you quit the sim, reboot your computer, load the sim and P-40 again it will still be warm (only cooled slightly based on real time).

Scott
A2A Simulations Inc.

Zacke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Zacke »

Yes, it seems I have overprimed it.

3 to 4 strokes and throttle just a little bit cracked works perfectly.

new reply

Return to “P-40 Warhawk / Tomahawk”