Re: P-40 Fuel tank usage profile

Post by Hook »

Thanks, guys.

Hook

Zacke
Staff Sergeant

Post by Zacke »

Hook wrote: 02 May 2020, 02:09 After putting 142 hours on the P-40 and averaging over 4 hours per day, I haven't flown in two days.

My modifications are tested and are actually ready to publish, but I'm giving A2A right of first refusal.

Besides a few bug fixes and cosmetic changes I've got it selectable for fuel overflow to go to reserve or fuselage tanks, a switch to have the fuel gauge on the floor display either wing or reserve tank, and have wired the low fuel light to light up with 30 seconds of fuel in the selected tank with the Prestone Warning light echoing the fuel warning light. I've also got the fuel pressure gauge dropping when fuel in the selected tank starts getting low and the fuel warning light coming on with low fuel pressure rather than when there is an hour total remaining. The low fuel pressure warning light now works across a variety of situations besides low fuel.

I suspect next time I get the urge to fly it will be a different aircraft.

Hook
You're talking about "a few bugs". Could you explain that in more detail? I've discovered the P-40 for me as a very interesting plane and fly her exclusively. I've maybe found some bugs with the electric system and reported them to Scott (viewtopic.php?f=83&t=70426). I'm just curios how sophisticated the P-40 is currently and how we can support A2A to make it even better.

Zacke

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

You're talking about "a few bugs". Could you explain that in more detail?
Minor stuff. For example the clipboard "Fuel econ" displays US gallons per hour even if the aircraft uses Imperial gallons. Needs the magneto order swapped (add a single line to aircraft.cfg to do this). May be a couple more that I'm already forgetting. I'm not flying at the moment and I'll look at it more thoroughly if/when I get access to the P-40 beta forum (which I had for my fixes for the Cub).

I have no idea what the electrical gauge is actually showing us or what it's supposed to be showing us and the information in the real aircraft manuals doesn't seem to be pertinent to what we're seeing. About the only thing I can think of to use it for is during run-up to check if the pitot heat is drawing power and possibly at what RPM the generators kick in. I believe it shows a higher reading right after starting until the battery is recharged. I suspect there are failures that affect the gauge reading. Someone with more experience in electrical systems could probably use the gauge to check the health of the system but it's outside my area of expertise. Mostly I ignore the gauge.

I noticed in aircraft.cfg in the electrical section that all items in the list have the same very small draw but I don't think this is being used by the sim. I was unable to add an additional cockpit light on the hot battery bus (bypassing the master switch) so I'm pretty sure this is the case. The light works, I can toggle it with a key command, but it needs the master switch on. This is useful in non-A2A aircraft when you jump into a very dark cockpit so you can *find* the master switch. :D

Hook

jackwall
Airman

Post by jackwall »

Hello Hook,

Been reading this thread with interest and wanted to note a thank you for the information and the background.

I'm new to the P-40 and thoroughly enjoying it as much as I have the Spitfire and Texan I flew in FSX. (I am in P3Dv4.5 now)
The fuel management is one my 'education' plan as I'm intending to fly up from my EIWF field (Waterford, Ireland) up and into Scandinavia (over the course of many legs) so your analysis and background is very useful.

I'm intrigued by the 'fuel system configuration' work you've reported on also.

Anyway, fly safe, stay well.

S!

new reply

Return to “P-40 Warhawk / Tomahawk”