Accu-sim P-40

Honest, reliable, iconic American fighter
new reply
Mac6737
Airman Basic

Accu-sim P-40

Post by Mac6737 »

This certainly is a beauty! Too bad I can’t get it airborne.

First, with respect to the start-up instructions at p. 32 of your manual:

1. It would help if these steps referred to the NUMBERS in the control pix on pp. 21-23!

2. You say, “Set prop to manual low pitch (left side cockpit below mixture).” Say what? The knob below Mixture is numbered 7 and has a “P” on it. The pop-up label says “Engine rpm.” Sorry, but this step is unintelligible.

3. There is no “prop safety switch” in the control pix and the numbered guides below them.

4. You say, “set cowl flaps to SHUT.” The pop-up label on the control numbered 5 and labeled “Cowl flaps” on p. 23 says “Radiator flaps.” I guess that’s the same thing, but the mouse does not move the lever, and there is certainly no “SHUT” position.

5. I can turn the battery and generator on OK, but the ammeter still reads 0.

6. You say, “If cold start, make sure carb heat is set to COLD.” There is no “COLD” on that switch (no. 7, p. 21). It is either ON or OFF.

7. You say, “Set throttle one inch.” At least to me, this step is also unintelligible.

All that said, I did get the engine started the newbie way: CTRL + E. But the plane nosed over, and bent the props. After I reset the scenario, they were still bent, as they now are on ALL P-40 models (not just the one that crashed). They remain bent even after the sim and the PC were turned off overnight.

Thanks for your help.

Mac6737

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Accu-sim P-40

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
The reason for nose over , was the throttle was open tomuch , as for bent prop , if you had fully read the manual , you would know about the hangar , not only would you find the prop in red , you will find you have damaged the engine , all in red mean they need fixing yellow is worn green is ok , you could click on individual parts tags to fix them or hit overhaul , but the hrs would reset on the overhaul option.
And the radiator does have a closed position on the lever .
The A2A control configurator comes in handy for setting up some controls on this aircraft , i also use FSUIPC4 for most of the controls , as i use FSX+A
regards alan. 8)

Adam_NZ
Technical Sergeant

Post by Adam_NZ »

Many add-on manuals I've studied contain inconsistencies in labelling, contain spelling or grammatical errors etc. but I can usually work out what's what. If that was the manual given to military pilots during the war, I'd be a little concerned too :lol: but - with the help of the friendly people here in the forums - you should be able to get up and running with the P-40 and complete flights without bending anything!
Mac6737 wrote: 25 Mar 2020, 16:50 7. You say, “Set throttle one inch.” At least to me, this step is also unintelligible.
That usually means (in RL) move the throttle away from the OFF position by one inch - in whatever direction it needs to go (typically away from you).

The confusion occurs, I think, when people refer to inches in manifold pressure.

Adam.
--
Image--Image

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

I think you might be taking things a little too literal here.

This isnt a 737 with a modern manual and an exact step by step guide. A basic knowledge of aviation is assumed before jumping in, and remember this is a P-40. The modern format manual wasnt just not provided but didnt even exist when the P-40 was created. The modern manual by many is considered to be a post WW2 invention coming out of German Armour companies and American Aviation companies such as Boeing.

So remember to not be so literal with your working. A closed cowl flap is a closed cowl flap, be it called radiator on some places or not.

Just to put this into context of the time;
One of the world most famous fighters the Supermarine Spitfire had at least 3 contradictionary manuals. One from Supermarine, one from RR and one from the Air ministry. Each twith slightly different wording and each with slightly different numbers.

When it comes to the Accu-sim version, if you are not sure, just ask. We have the open forums here 24/7 with a community of thousands and full access to the dev team able to get you up and flying.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Mac6737
Airman Basic

Post by Mac6737 »

Alan,

I did read the manual. I didn't think the hangar could replace a prop, but I tried it before reading your post, and it worked. :D
And I did find the closed position. But for the essentials, I'm still stuck. No ammeter reading. No "Manual low pitch." Ignition engages, and motor wheezes, but no start.

I'll keep trying while social distancing.

Mac6737

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Switches labeled 25 and 26 on page 22 of the P-40 Pilot's Manual are for selecting automatic, or manually increasing or decreasing the Curtiss electric prop pitch. You leave it in automatic most of the time and adjust rpm with the pitch lever, but you might check operation during run-up, or switch it from automatic to manual to control pitch if the automatic constant speed feature fails. I haven't had a prop failure yet in over a hunnert hours in the P-40. Our P-40s are either B or C models, which were very early in the P-40 series.

There's a really great video on how to operate a P-40 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUcqbytR9Ts. It's from 1944, in color. Sorry, it's a bit jaggy, but still shows a lot about the idiosyncrasies of The Curtiss P-40. This airplane first flew in 1938, and was a re-engine version of the P-36 Hawk, which first flew in 1935, so it's closer to the original Wright Flyer than a modern jet.

I've got the hydraulic pump mapped to the trigger on the joystick with A2A's P-40 Input Configurator. Lots of good tips in the YouTube video above.

Good Luck and Good Hunting!

Seeya
ATB

DavidW
Airman First Class

Post by DavidW »

All I can say is persevere and all of a sudden everything will click into place. I use a combination of FSUIPC key presses along with those on the P-40 Configurator. For this 'plane I feel that I need three hands just to get her started but now I am getting the hang of it. :lol:

Since obtaining this aeroplane, last week, I have already accrued in excess of twenty hours and practice does reap its rewards. On a side note I bent more props and had far too many nose-overs when I was learning to start the Spitfire.

As Paughco has stated leave the prop in auto, toggle the throttle about an inch, maybe a tad more forward, prop/RPM forward and mixture to rich.

Prime, mags on and engage inertia whell,. Once it has started to spin fast hit the "wobble" pump (manual fuel pump) and engage engine. If is doesn't fire try again. I usually take at least three attempts. Also remember that A2A aircraft are "living" machines and if it is a new engine it will be 'tight' until bedded in. If the engine catches but doesn't fire try some oil dilution. This works well if the outside temperature is a bit low.

I am no way an expert but very much what would be classed as a noob but of all the 'planes in my virtual hangar A2A are the best. :D
ImageImage
ImageImage

Ant 33110
Airman Basic

Post by Ant 33110 »

Hello Everyone at A2A Simulations,

I too would like to say thank you for your free P-40 airplane download. All your products are great and I am enjoying the P-40. Hope you all stay safe from the virus.
Kind Regards,
Ant.

Bluebottle
Airman

Post by Bluebottle »

Hi folks,

A very quick question on the P-40, downloaded the free said aircraft thank you again, as it comes from your store is it fully up to date or do I need to download any updates for it?
Regards Steve.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Bluebottle wrote: 11 Apr 2020, 15:36 Hi folks,

A very quick question on the P-40, downloaded the free said aircraft thank you again, as it comes from your store is it fully up to date or do I need to download any updates for it?
Regards Steve.
You will want to run the updater if you are using the FSX version. P3Dv4 will update itself during installation.

thanks,
Lewis

Bluebottle
Airman

Post by Bluebottle »

Hi Lewis,

thank you for your reply and done just as you suggested!!!, many thanks.

Steve

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Lovely jubbly, happy flying in the virtual skies

thanks,
Lewis

new reply

Return to “P-40 Warhawk / Tomahawk”