PAINTKIT

Honest, reliable, iconic American fighter
trucker17
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: PAINTKIT

Post by trucker17 »

Scott - A2A wrote:http://a2asimulations.com/public/downlo ... intkit.zip

Special thanks to Martin (ICDP) for these user-friendly paintkits.

Scott.
Scott.
I am thinking of trying to do a paint of the warhawk i posted the picts of....One question about useing the paint....Well ok two questions......Can i take the teeth from the pictures and add to the new texture i craete, or does this also need to be painted as well....
I ask because these teeth are perfect to me, in the shape and distance to the wings. Plus they make the warhawk look mean and hungery....
This is the main area i want to try working on for now....Something easy to start with......

FSXF-Psycho
Senior Airman

Post by FSXF-Psycho »

If I had the patience for cutting paint kits, I'd be ripping through paint schemes.
Real Life: Airman First Class (E-3) 140th AMXS; Buckley AFB, CO

rwmarth
Senior Airman

Post by rwmarth »

I'm giving the paintkit a whirl for the first time, and read in the instructions that I need to break down the textures into 5 separate ones as well as the corresponding specular textures. What is the correct way in doing this? And what do I do with the other files besides the P40B_Full in the painkit? I am using Photoshop. Thanks in advance and sorry for such basic questions about this all!

rwmarth
Senior Airman

Post by rwmarth »

I got the paintkit cut up into the 5 textures by cropping up the Full and Full_Spec files. I have gotten my painting into FSX so it is a start at least. However, I don't know what I should do with the full_alpha and the full_spec_alpha files?

rwmarth
Senior Airman

Post by rwmarth »

I have come across some posts by Martin (ICDP) about repainting with the P-47 paintkit which is structured similar to the P-40:

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 55&t=22251

Seems to answer most of my questions about this one and so if anyone has similar questions about repainting, take a look in that post. Very informative.

trucker17
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by trucker17 »

I must be the exception to the rule....I can barely get it to open, and when i get the work finished it disapears into cyberspace....
Their is a shark mouth monster out their somewhere.....LURKING.....Waiting for that unsuspecting surfer to come along.....

rwmarth
Senior Airman

Post by rwmarth »

Trucker, what is it that is disappearing?

EightyFiftyFive
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by EightyFiftyFive »

Download link is broken:
http://a2asimulations.com/public/downlo ... intkit.zip

Next page says:

Not Found

The resource could not be found.

:?
Some of my repaint work (screens only)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/121556714@N07/albums

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Once I'm back from Oshkosh I'll get the link fixed IF I can't get it fixed remotely from the access we have at the tent here.

Thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello guys,

link all updated and ready to download.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

EightyFiftyFive
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by EightyFiftyFive »

Thanks Lewis! 8)
Some of my repaint work (screens only)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/121556714@N07/albums

Gary
Airman Basic

Post by Gary »

Hi everyone,
Just thought I'd pass along a tip for those working with Martin Catneys wonderful paint kit for the p40, it applies for those who use "The Gimp" as their graphics editor.If you are more comfortable working on texture sheets of the standard size(this case 2048x2048) in the latest version of gimp (2.10.18) and possibly earlier releases, you can simply open Martin's master texture (P40B_Full.psd) in Gimp and click on the image menu dropdown then choose "Slice Using Guides" and Gimp will automatically (and non-destructively) slice the master image into 6 new images at the Guides that Martin has already left visible in his master template. At that point it's simply a matter of saving those new files using the texture names that Martin has also left visible in the master template in the very first layer named appropriately enough "texture names". The whole process took me about 2-3 minutes, you will be left with some empty layers in the various files you have created due to overlapping of the various layers in the master but you will now have the 5 textures you need to paint the P40 (actually 6 files but the 6th is empty and can simply be shut without saving.)

As a side note: Gimp apparently has no means of deleting "all empty layers" in a file, the only workaround to this that I could come up with is to choose a layer you suspect of being empty and choose "layer>crop to content" If the layer is empty Gimp will inform you in a pop up.

Happy self-isolation dayXX
Gary

new reply

Return to “P-40 Warhawk / Tomahawk”