COTS AccuSim and Time Compression

A place for technical help setting up your Stratocruiser with FSX
new reply
Alky
Senior Airman

COTS AccuSim and Time Compression

Post by Alky »

I'm just curious if how much of a problem time compression would create with the B377 using COTS. I'm talking about 2X or 4X only. I realize that a lot of folks feel that to use TC is blasphemous but I find the part between take off and landing to be a bit of a bore. This post is not meant to discuss the plus or minus points of time compression but rather how it would impact the AccuSim and Cots from a technical aspect. Thanks. :)

DC3
Technical Sergeant

Re: COTS AccuSim and Time Compression

Post by DC3 »

blasphemy! :lol:

For the COTS I would recommend doing the flight engineers job. It is not boring.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

I don't know about COTS but with the more modern GA Accusim planes time compression gives you incorrect fuel and oil consumption. This has been discussed before somewhere here on the forums. And Lewis or Scott explained that due to most of Accusim running outside of the sim and the sim not giving them any information about time compression they can't take it into account.

Also your engine and airframe time will be recorded in realtime while you're in time compression in the sim. I would suspect that the same accounts for the Stratocruiser and COTS.
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Time compression can mess up Accu-Sim in ways we don't know. It may be harmless, may not.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Alky
Senior Airman

Post by Alky »

Piper_EEWL wrote:I don't know about COTS but with the more modern GA Accusim planes time compression gives you incorrect fuel and oil consumption.

Also your engine and airframe time will be recorded in realtime while you're in time compression in the sim. I would suspect that the same accounts for the Stratocruiser and COTS.
Thanks for your input guys,
Piper, the above makes sense. Trans-Atlanicflights might be a problem for me though lol.

AviationAtWar
Technical Sergeant

Post by AviationAtWar »

I used time compression for long flights when I first bought the 377 and it worked ok, the hours accumulated on the plane and engines reflected the amount of time flown during compression as did fuel burn. After running the updater then it no longer worked.

Alky
Senior Airman

Post by Alky »

AviationAtWar wrote:After running the updater then it no longer worked.
Thanks! :(

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Alky wrote:I'm just curious if how much of a problem time compression would create with the B377 using COTS. I'm talking about 2X or 4X only. I realize that a lot of folks feel that to use TC is blasphemous but I find the part between take off and landing to be a bit of a bore. This post is not meant to discuss the plus or minus points of time compression but rather how it would impact the AccuSim and Cots from a technical aspect. Thanks. :)

As people say, time compression can give really odd effects. What I do, is use slew mode to move the plane where I want it to be rather than time compression. Not quite the same thing but still gets you to the other side.

Not blasphemous at all, it is a simulator and people use it to the way they see fit :) For example, I never worry about fuel because I tick "fuel unlimited" in FSX :)
Accufeel V2, C172 , B377+L049+COTS, B17G, Piper Cub,Commanche,Cherrokee,Spitfire,Bonanza, P47,P40,both Mustangs
Aircraft Factory Avro Anson, Albatros DIII,Heinkel He-219, F4U Corsair, P51H Mustang, Avro 504, BF109
Watch my incompetent flying Twitch

MatzeH84
Staff Sergeant

Post by MatzeH84 »

Alky wrote:
Piper_EEWL wrote:I don't know about COTS but with the more modern GA Accusim planes time compression gives you incorrect fuel and oil consumption.

Thanks for your input guys,
Piper, the above makes sense. Trans-Atlanicflights might be a problem for me though lol.
Hehe. I flew from Düsseldorf via Shannon to JFK. 18 hours airtime, planning and ground time not included. Had a turbo blow up halfway over the Atlantic, so I essentially had to fly most of the time on the engines. Was still fun though. Made a bigger report of it in the IVAO forums, might post it here as well.
Kind regards, Matthias

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

MatzeH84 wrote: Hehe. I flew from Düsseldorf via Shannon to JFK. 18 hours airtime, planning and ground time not included. Had a turbo blow up halfway over the Atlantic, so I essentially had to fly most of the time on the engines. Was still fun though. Made a bigger report of it in the IVAO forums, might post it here as well.
That sounds awesome. Would be cool to read that report! What did the passengers say? I want to do one of those but I'm afraid I don't have 18h in a row :wink:
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

Interesting topic. I personally cannot imagine using time compression just for the reason that the flying is why I have the simulator in the first place. However, If the need arises, and if you are flying in single player, there is always the Save Flight option. I've used it a few times. Spawning back in is always a freaky thing as your engine settings and most other details will need to be adjusted, like... RIGHT NOW! I don't know about Accu-Sim effects with COTS and how the passengers/crew will respond but it worked ok in the B-17. You can even do this in multiplayer IF you have control of the server. Simply shut the server down, wait for the option to continue in Free Flight, save your game in free flight. Again, be ready to raise gear, donn oxygen mask [if at altitude], adjust throttles, etc, etc in a hurry.

Cheers
Roger
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

WB_FlashOver wrote:Interesting topic. I personally cannot imagine using time compression just for the reason that the flying is why I have the simulator in the first place. However, If the need arises, and if you are flying in single player, there is always the Save Flight option. I've used it a few times. Spawning back in is always a freaky thing as your engine settings and most other details will need to be adjusted, like... RIGHT NOW! I don't know about Accu-Sim effects with COTS and how the passengers/crew will respond but it worked ok in the B-17. You can even do this in multiplayer IF you have control of the server. Simply shut the server down, wait for the option to continue in Free Flight, save your game in free flight. Again, be ready to raise gear, donn oxygen mask [if at altitude], adjust throttles, etc, etc in a hurry.

Cheers
Roger
Hello WB Flashover,
Goodness that is a good idea. I don't feel good about doing Slew or Time compression either. Because Accu-sim is persistent this might indeed work so we would not have to do the whole realtime flight in one sitting.

Anyone tried this with B377/COTS ?
Accufeel V2, C172 , B377+L049+COTS, B17G, Piper Cub,Commanche,Cherrokee,Spitfire,Bonanza, P47,P40,both Mustangs
Aircraft Factory Avro Anson, Albatros DIII,Heinkel He-219, F4U Corsair, P51H Mustang, Avro 504, BF109

seawing
Airman

Post by seawing »

I just completed (yet another) Atlantic crossing with the B377. Since I rarely have the (real) time available to fly without time compression on such long flights, I usually fly all the way to level off in real time, then save the flight and continue in TC (max. 4x). I regularilly save the flight enroute, although that is more in fear of CTDs than related to any Accu-Sim problems. I never had any issues with Accu-sim. Looking at the hour counters, it seems that the career mode only counts real time, but the airframe and engine hours are recorded correctly. I leave TC at the top of descent. I never had problems with it. The only safety precautions I take are, I leave the ADI pumps on, because sometimes the engine parameters jump and briefly reach an area that would require ADI to be used. And, during saving, I put the sim into pause. Even after reloading after a CTD, all engines, pressurization, etc parameters remain all set correctly.
I'd love to fly all flights real time - but I just don't have the time.

Seawing

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

seawing wrote:I just completed (yet another) Atlantic crossing with the B377. Since I rarely have the (real) time available to fly without time compression on such long flights, I usually fly all the way to level off in real time, then save the flight and continue in TC (max. 4x). I regularilly save the flight enroute, although that is more in fear of CTDs than related to any Accu-Sim problems. I never had any issues with Accu-sim. Looking at the hour counters, it seems that the career mode only counts real time, but the airframe and engine hours are recorded correctly. I leave TC at the top of descent. I never had problems with it. The only safety precautions I take are, I leave the ADI pumps on, because sometimes the engine parameters jump and briefly reach an area that would require ADI to be used. And, during saving, I put the sim into pause. Even after reloading after a CTD, all engines, pressurization, etc parameters remain all set correctly.
I'd love to fly all flights real time - but I just don't have the time.

Seawing
4x time compression is the best compromise by the looks of it. I would have the time for a realtime flight I just don't have the patience.

new reply

Return to “Boeing 377 Tech Support”