A place for technical help setting up your Stratocruiser with FSX
new reply
rupert
Airman Basic

377 slow climb no cruise

Post by rupert »

OK . 377 with captain of the ship exp.
9 flights so far and love it .
Problem.. Now have trouble in the climb and at alt. She drops to very low (not stall ) speed all other flights good and I had no problems and can put it on the step . or over height to drop to cruise . now v slow to climb and no cruise
Is it me , captain of the ship playing tricks .
Me I'm lost any ideas folks.
As a foot note I have upped the graphics since before the prob . but all other accu sim aircraft are fine , no great.
Please help me .... Thanks

Oh. Engines and airframe all in the green cruise alt 24000' so not to high... All settings as the book prop mix man press.

dacamp66
Senior Airman

Re: 377 slow climb no cruise

Post by dacamp66 »

with most types of propliners, cruise altitude is dictated by weight, so you may in fact be too high for your current weight.
procedure is basically: climb using manufacturer's recommended climb power settings until you can no longer maintain climb speed; at this point, level off, hold climb power until you reach lower end of cruise speed envelope, then set cruise power; hold altitude and cruise power settings until you hit top end of cruise speed envelope (what you are doing is burning off fuel until you are light enough to resume climbing) climb until you hit bottom end of climb speed envelope.
at this point, repeat this procedure as necessary until you hit max cruise altitude or top of descent point.
this type of climb is called a "step climb" because on an altitude vs distance graph it looks like a set of stairs. this type of climb was used because most propliners had nowhere near the thrust to weight ratio of jets.
cruise altitude was not as critical with piston engine propliners because, strangely enough, you use the same approximate total volume of fuel regardless of altitude. in a propliner, you climb higher to go faster (and thus save time) NOT to save fuel.
also, is it possible you have icing? or an icing or weather mod is interacting badly with the a2a product? I seem to remember there was a weather mod (don't remember the name) that caused bad icing problems and generally interfered badly with the a2a 377.
Orville's law: when the altitude of the ground at your current location exceeds the altitude of your aircraft, you have most assuredly crashed.

gulredrel
Master Sergeant

Post by gulredrel »

I had such a situation too. It was related to mysteriously invisible speedbrake. Try FSX default command to deactivate airbrake/speedbrake and see if it helps.
I have no idea, why this was active on one of my flights.
"Give me a ping, Vasili. One ping only, please."

rupert
Airman Basic

Post by rupert »

dacamp66 wrote:with most types of propliners, cruise altitude is dictated by weight, so you may in fact be too high for your current weight.
procedure is basically: climb using manufacturer's recommended climb power settings until you can no longer maintain climb speed; at this point, level off, hold climb power until you reach lower end of cruise speed envelope, then set cruise power; hold altitude and cruise power settings until you hit top end of cruise speed envelope (what you are doing is burning off fuel until you are light enough to resume climbing) climb until you hit bottom end of climb speed envelope.
at this point, repeat this procedure as necessary until you hit max cruise altitude or top of descent point.
this type of climb is called a "step climb" because on an altitude vs distance graph it looks like a set of stairs. this type of climb was used because most propliners had nowhere near the thrust to weight ratio of jets.
cruise altitude was not as critical with piston engine propliners because, strangely enough, you use the same approximate total volume of fuel regardless of altitude. in a propliner, you climb higher to go faster (and thus save time) NOT to save fuel.
also, is it possible you have icing? or an icing or weather mod is interacting badly with the a2a product? I seem to remember there was a weather mod (don't remember the name) that caused bad icing problems and generally interfered badly with the a2a 377.
Thank you . I will take this on board I have 14 flights. plus a 5 and a 6 while learning. to my name and have gone to my cruise 24500 ft. with more weight . at the time 130000 lbs and have gone to 24000plus with over 140 . hence my post . I am mystified in the mean time a diet for my 337 .

If you have any more thoughts I am listening . please post..

thanks again Nick . (Rupert)

rupert
Airman Basic

Post by rupert »

gulredrel wrote:I had such a situation too. It was related to mysteriously invisible speedbrake. Try FSX default command to deactivate airbrake/speedbrake and see if it helps.
I have no idea, why this was active on one of my flights.

Thanks I will give this a look.

Nick. (Rupert)

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

Sounds like you are too heavy.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Yes be careful with that altitude, unlike today where airliners shoot up to the high heavens, back then the 10-18 range was pretty normal for a lot of flights, it was a different age altogether.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “Boeing 377 Tech Support”