Problem calibrating the gyro

A place for technical help setting up your Stratocruiser with FSX
new reply
Ala13_Kokakolo
Airman First Class

Problem calibrating the gyro

Post by Ala13_Kokakolo »

I know I have to check the gyros against the magnetic compass every ten minutes or so but I found a problem I would love to be rectify (if so) in a next update. Lets say I am flying at Fl180, nicely with the autopilot and hold altitude. i check the magnetic compass and It says 45 degrees. The weather is fine and the plane is steady at 45 degrees. I check the pilot gyro and it says 42. I calibrate at 45. No problem. I check copilot gyro, it say 47. Corrected. No problem. I check navigator and it say 43... i try to calibrate to 45... the plane is moving... i can see the window and the plane has rolled slightly when I changed the navigator gyro. I check it says 45 now, but the magnetic compass says 42 now... i calibrate the navigator to 42... WAIT, THE PLANE HAS MOVED AGAIN... so basically the navigator compass and the autopilot are somehow connected. Is this the way it is supposed to be?

PD. Also, if you do NOT have 0 degree in the autopilot handler, the RMI wheel moves in 10 degree increments instead of one.

Ala13_Kokakolo
Airman First Class

Re: Problem calibrating the gyro

Post by Ala13_Kokakolo »

I have found out the autopilot changes to Hold when the wings are leveled, so it explains the drift when I move the navigator gyro wheel. I guess I should use the D key instead... Am I wrong?

new reply

Return to “Boeing 377 Tech Support”