Can't install COTS FSX-SE

A place for technical help setting up your Stratocruiser with FSX
new reply
johnh90
Airman Basic

Can't install COTS FSX-SE

Post by johnh90 »

Picked up the 377 with Accu-Sim/COTS from Just Flight this afternoon and I can't seem to get COTS to install. The basic install works fine and runs properly in FSX-SE but when I try to run the COTS install it gets to 2% and then throws up an error about DXSETUP.exe saying

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item."

before another comes up saying that it "could not execute the external program". It then asks me to roll back the changes made by the install before giving me the same two couldn't access/run errors again, this time about WINDOWS\unwise.exe.

Based on what I found around these forums I've tried running the install as admin, without UAC, with a Firewall exception set for it, running a manual install of the DXSETUP which was linked to on another thread and none of them seem to work.

Also when I try to use the plane after running the COTS installer various things don't work properly - presumably because the installer couldn't clean up after itself properly. The various popup menus would just flash up as black rectangles for a split second and then disappear, and also I only seemed to able to control throttle, mixture and prop pitch by clicking around the VC since keyboard and controller inputs for them weren't functioning.

Running the SP1 exe seems to have fixed those issues and I have a couple of the popup windows working which weren't there before I ran the COTS install but the Shift+3 popup still says "AccuSim N/A" and there's no sign of anything else Accu-Sim or COTS related around the plane that I can find.

Any ideas anyone? I have a feeling I may be missing something fairly obvious - so apologies if that's the case!

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Can't install COTS FSX-SE

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

Have you tried skipping the Direct X install?

Have you tried a re-download incase there was an issue with your download?

Can you please let us know what you mean by installing SP1?

The FSX steam install thread is here for instructions on what is needed;
http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 80&t=44071

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

johnh90
Airman Basic

Post by johnh90 »

Hi, sorry for the massively delayed reply - the day after I posted I had some major problems with my PC. As I result I've got a new system now and it all works fine on there so there must have been something dodgy with that system - as I recall I'd had issues trying to install OrbX stuff too and that's all fine on the new system as well. Cheers anyway though.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello John,

since you have been away I talked to Dovetail and we got the simconnect included in the last FSX Steam release so this step is no longer needed. I'd be betting this is reason for everything working now you are running the latest FSX Steam edition.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

johnh90
Airman Basic

Post by johnh90 »

I did notice SimConnect installing automatically when I ran the setup this time actually - probably it then - cheers!

new reply

Return to “Boeing 377 Tech Support”