ILS landings

A place for technical help setting up your Stratocruiser with FSX
new reply
gxsmith
Airman

ILS landings

Post by gxsmith »

Hey fellow fliers, I have the take-offs down but I still need to learn how to land using ILS. Where do I find the frequency for the runway? and how do I program it in on the radio? I read the Pilots manual and they don't seem to cover this. Thanks, any help appreciated.

ft
Staff Sergeant

Re: ILS landings

Post by ft »

This is a good site to get you started.

http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/ils.htm

Bit of reading required, but well worth it. Enjoy, and return here with the questions which will pop up. :)
Be warned: Aero engineer, real life pilot, sim programmer. Nothing good can come out of that.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Charts picked off the web will give you the layout of the airport, STARs (arrival routes off the airways) and SIDs ( departure routes to the airways) and the frequencies you will need for the ILS. However, sometimes the frequencies disagree in FSX due to changes made since FSX was published. So you can always check the map in FSX, just double click on your arrival airport and the relevant information appears in a window. You should find ILS frequencies and correct headings for the runway. Put the frequency into NAV1, dial the correct heading into the compass repeater for reference, and use Instrument Landing Indicator ( which rests between the compass repeater and the VSI on the 377 panel) to line up with the runway and follow the glideslope.

Please do start with the guide mentioned above. There are also tons of other reference materials online and in books to help you shoot these approaches correctly and efficiently!

JP

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gxsmith
Airman

Post by gxsmith »

Thanks Guys, I will read and try it out. Do you know if there are any tutorials specific to the B377 on ILS?

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

None specifically for the 377 that I'm aware of, but I could be wrong. Realistically, you should situate yourself at an airport you are familiar with that has several ILS approaches, and practice, practice, practice. In clear weather at first and then in increasing amounts of cover. That is the best way to put it all together. At the end, when begin to take your actions intuitively, you will reach Stratocruiser Nirvana, which is a really neat place to be!

JP

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

Jacques wrote:you will reach Stratocruiser Nirvana
LMAO :mrgreen:

gxsmith
Airman

Post by gxsmith »

Hey there, two things on ils. How do I dial in the frequency once I get it and it doesn't glide you in automatically like the big jets, right? It just activates the glide scope and you manually have to land? Thanks

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

ILS landings

Post by Jacques »

You tune the ILS frequency with VHF Navigation 1 (the one on the pilots side). That VOR is tied to your Instrument Landing Indicator on the panel. And, you are correct, it only gives you feedback. You are responsible for keeping the aircraft on centered and on glideslope.

JP

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

MarcE wrote:
Jacques wrote:you will reach Stratocruiser Nirvana
LMAO :mrgreen:
:) It is true though, yes? :)

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Sometimes simply not being on Fire and or Stalling is 377 Nirvana :mrgreen:

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “Boeing 377 Tech Support”