Props locked in reverse?

A place for technical help setting up your Stratocruiser with FSX
blackhawks
Technical Sergeant

Re: Props locked in reverse?

Post by blackhawks »

No joy.

Complete re-install of FSX+Accel. Added only the 377 basic package + COTS full version + COTS 1.1 update. Problem occurs only once the update is added. If i watch the throttle after bringing the joystick to full closed and hitting F1, the first tap of F2 ALWAYS stutters. Handles raise and then return to normal. This appears to be when the problem occurs. After that F2 always works smoothly but F1 stops doing anything and F3 only advances back to detent. Speed, flap setting, engines on/off make no difference. I've swapped joystick hardware too and same symptoms/result. Since this update, for whatever reason, I cannot advance throttles forward from detent after entering reverse. all the other features from the update: meals/no meals etc. work fine.

Spider, I'm guessing you have 377 + accusim + accusim sp1 + cots lite + cots 1.1? Possibly some miniscule difference in our two installs?
-mike

bigjuicyspider
Master Sergeant

Post by bigjuicyspider »

No, I have FSX+Accell + WOS 377 + COTS + 1.1 just like you do.

I'm still looking into this, but I still can't reproduce it yet. Just to clarify, you have a single Logitech Joystick, with assignments and calibrations all done in FSX, right? And you are 10000% sure that you are holding F3 down long enough to come out of reverse. Stay tuned, there is an explanation for it all, and it is probably something dumb. :)
Last edited by bigjuicyspider on 18 Sep 2011, 11:31, edited 1 time in total.
1)i7 980x 4.35 ghz, gtx 470s SLI, Matrox th2go, Creative x-fi
2)i7 2600k, Gigabyte z68x, gtx 285s sli

lonewulf47
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by lonewulf47 »

Mike, I just tried the whole issue on my fresh install of B377 + COTS + COTS 1.1 update and I can use the reversers without any problems e.g. close the throttle, hit F1, Hold F2 until max reverse, hold F3 until unreverse, advance the throttle again and everything is back to normal. I tried also to advance the throttles with F3 after unreverse. I held F3 until unreverse was complete, let it go for about 1 second and then could advance the throttles with the standard FSX F3 command. Dont' forget that the whole reverser issue on the Strat is a somewhat tricky "violation" of the FSX default function which can cause oddities however as far as I can see there's - at least in my installation - no glitch.
Oskar

ASUS MAXIMUS XI Hero, i9-9900K 8 Core OC 5.2 GHz, WIN10-64Bit, 32GB DDR5, Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti Strix, 2x 2 TB SSD M.2, 1x 2 TB SSD, 1 monitor 4k, AS4, EFB on remote PC

bigjuicyspider
Master Sergeant

Post by bigjuicyspider »

After using F3 to come forward as far as you can, and then releasing, what happens visually to your virtual levers when you move your physical lever forward from idle? Do the throttle levers "twitch" ?

(When holding F3 down, you should be seeing your virtual levers move forward of the detent and then "snapping back" to your hardware throttle position, which is ostensibly positioned at Idle. Then you can move forward normally.)

blackhawks
Technical Sergeant

Post by blackhawks »

bigjuicyspider wrote:After using F3 to come forward as far as you can, and then releasing, what happens visually to your virtual levers when you move your physical lever forward from idle? Do the throttle levers "twitch" ?

(When holding F3 down, you should be seeing your virtual levers move forward of the detent and then "snapping back" to your hardware throttle position, which is ostensibly positioned at Idle. Then you can move forward normally.)
Visual levers stop at zero/detent/neutral and do not twitch or anything else.
I can move physical (joystick)throttle forward and not even a shiver. In turn, I can hold f3 or tap repeatedly and nothing happens or twitches either. I know what you're going for, as the behavior you describe is the way it acted pre cots 1.1 update.

I'm just getting home now, but thank you both for taking the time to check this out again. I was really hoping that it was something other than just a quirk on my machine.

To answer the config question. Yes just one joystick, though I have since tried both the Logitech 3d pro and the Saitek Cyborg X with identical results on each. No FSUIPC, no LINDA, not even anything assigned with the 377 configurator. Nothing but stock FSX as described.

Since I've played around with this so much, I feel I need to at least post the workaround I re-discovered with the parking brake.
Maybe you guys can think about the code and why this would "work".

I'm thinking about this as a computer process, not as an airplane, so I did most of this testing with engines off. Now that I know the limitations of the solution, it has worked with them running on a quick flight I just did to test. Not suggesting that any of this is good practice, just something to try if you have a similar scenario.

SYMPTOM ON MY MACHINE:
Joystick throttle closed (detent) entire time.
Enter reverse with f2 (regardless of whether f1 used or not)
f3 returns virtual throttle to detent (closed) but will not advance.
F2 and F3 work as they should, but ONLY in the Reverse range.

WORKAROUND:
Joystick throttle closed.
After applying reverse with f2, f3 back to virtual throttle closed position.
Apply parking brake.
WHILE BRAKE IS ENGAGED, advance either physical throttle or use f3. Virtual throttles are now able to move above closed.
Release parking brake and resume "normal" operation.

Parking brake engaged restricts movement into "reverse" which is per the manual, and leads to...

OTHER QUIRKS:

If I do not touch f3 or the physical throttle while the parking brakes are on, and subsequently release them, "stuck" condition remains.
If I apply parking brakes while virtual throttle is still in reverse mode, virtual throttle snaps back to closed/detent visually. I can advance past detent at this point, while the brakes are on, but once the brakes are released, the visual throttle snaps back into the level of reverse when the brakes were applied. (no I didn't try this with engines running... I have a feeling that would end very badly.)

With a clean install of fsx and the a2a programs, I don't see what else I can change (other than the machine). When it is time for that, I'm sure everything will work normally. Please do let me know if anything with the parking brake scenario ever sparks an idea.

So again, I thank you both for your time, and owe you beers for the time you've spent dealing with this. This is why I love the A2A boards. Neither of you gave any of us on this thread the "we can't reproduce it, we don't care" attitude.

Also sorry to the O.P. for hijacking his thread. :)
-mike

bigjuicyspider
Master Sergeant

Post by bigjuicyspider »

(original post deleted: I had posted a very specific troubleshooting step, but I decided to re-think it)

Sorry for all the questions, but for now, let me ask a couple more. When you RE installed FSX and Acceleration, did it it first come up with the stock Ultra Trike on your Free Flight GUI...or was it the DC-3? I know that you had said that you had previously had it as the A2A B-17, then changed it to the DC-3 prior to re-installation. The reason I'm asking is that I'm trying to ascertain if something is getting carried over from your previous installation. (Totally unscientific, but my gut feeling is still telling me that there is some parameter that is screwed up that stems from the default flight you are using)

blackhawks
Technical Sergeant

Post by blackhawks »

After complete re-install, everything defaulted back to standard FSX. I had been using the DC3 after your earlier suggestion about the B17. However once I cleared out FSX, removed all the traces (app data/roaming; documents; ran crap cleaner; defraged it etc) I then had the trike as the default plane. Only changes I made was switching it to princess juliana airport (friday harbor is default). After I saw it was having the same problems, I changed to KEDW for a longer test runway. Left the trike as default.

There is no difference in the Guppy behavior. Works correctly until 1.1 update, then has same symptoms/solution as above.

I even uninstalled the joystick before I reloaded FSX to reset any of those settings.
-mike

bigjuicyspider
Master Sergeant

Post by bigjuicyspider »

Okay Mike, sounds like you've done everything right. I don't know what to tell you at this point except that the issue that you are having has been brought to the attention of the A2A guys. Sorry, I know how frustrating stuff like this can be, and it frustrates me too that I'm not able to help you pinpoint it.

Update: Do you play a lot of other games and absolutely require the use of the Software that came with your Logitech xtreme? If not, wonder what would happen if you unplugged your joystick, uninstalled the Logitech stuff (is it called Wingman drivers?) and then plugged it in to be used as a Plug and Play device. I don't want you to go off on a Wild Goose chase, or play the role of Guinea Pig, since that might be a bit of a pain in the ass, but a lot of us are doing it that way, and aren't encountering the problems that you seem to be having.

blackhawks
Technical Sergeant

Post by blackhawks »

bigjuicyspider wrote:Okay Mike, sounds like you've done everything right. I don't know what to tell you at this point except that the issue that you are having has been brought to the attention of the A2A guys. Sorry, I know how frustrating stuff like this can be, and it frustrates me too that I'm not able to help you pinpoint it.

Update: Do you play a lot of other games and absolutely require the use of the Software that came with your Logitech xtreme? If not, wonder what would happen if you unplugged your joystick, uninstalled the Logitech stuff (is it called Wingman drivers?) and then plugged it in to be used as a Plug and Play device. I don't want you to go off on a Wild Goose chase, or play the role of Guinea Pig, but a lot of us are doing it that way, and aren't encountering the problems that you seem to be having.
This laptop is purely for music, photoshop and FSX. No other games. I have no problem playing guinea pig, but I already run it as plug and play. I never saw the need for the added bloat of the software. When I said before I uninstalled the joysticks, I just meant unplugged and removed them from device manager so they would load fresh (plug and play) after the reinstall of FSX. Good idea, though.

Keep the A2A guys working on the new planes. Full steam ahead :)

Thanks for your effort and sorry for the frustration. This will be an "ah ha" moment at somepoint. I was hoping it would have been something easy and obvious.
-mike

ScherzkeCks
Airman

Post by ScherzkeCks »

Anything new on this topic? I have exactly the same problem.

Nothing can move the throttles further forward after reverse unless I set parkingbrake then everything works fine until i release the parking break then the throttles jump back to reverse immediately.

elparker
Airman First Class

Post by elparker »

Did you check the control settings menu? Sounds like maybe the throttle is set on reverse.

ScherzkeCks
Airman

Post by ScherzkeCks »

I doubt that because it worked the whole flight before but I checked and that isn't it.

bigjuicyspider
Master Sergeant

Post by bigjuicyspider »

ScherzkeCks wrote:Anything new on this topic? I have exactly the same problem.

Nothing can move the throttles further forward after reverse unless I set parkingbrake then everything works fine until i release the parking break then the throttles jump back to reverse immediately.
Can you list what your controllers are and how they are assigned? Also, was the parking brake engaged at any time during the flight prior to going in to reverse? What I'm getting at is this: Most people have their parking brakes engaged at some point prior to takeoff. Then they take off, cruise, and land, and then they apply their prop reverse. Is it possible that you never had your parking brakes on at all, ever, prior to Reversing? (I'm still just trying to put out guesses)

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

A shot in the dark here.....

Are any of you guys who are having this parking brake tied to the prop reverse, issue using the "SHOW_BRAKE_MESSAGES=0" line in your fsx.cfg file?

FAC
FAC257

ScherzkeCks
Airman

Post by ScherzkeCks »

Right now I have a Logitech 3D Extreme on my Computer, normally a Saitek 52 or whatever the number is but I don't have access to it right now maybe tomorrow to test if it is the Stick.

I had the Parkingbrake enabled prior takeoff, yes. On another flight to test I hadn't.

My Parkingbreak message is not shut off so no "SHOW_BREAK_MESSAGES=0" for me

new reply

Return to “Boeing 377 Tech Support”