Turbo Ground Test

A place for technical help setting up your Stratocruiser with FSX
new reply
N1684T
Staff Sergeant

Turbo Ground Test

Post by N1684T »

Hello,All
I don't know if I am missing something here but on the ground turbo check it still does not seem too be working, this is what I do:
1). Select turbo #1 to take-off position
2). Advance Throttle #1 to approx. 30" MP or 2050 RPM
3). Check Magnetos for that engine
4).Select turbo switch to Cruise/Climb for that engine
5).Making sure the Potentiometers are set to zero
6).Advance the Turbo Lever too 7
It seems that when I do this for each individual engine the Manifold Pressure increases quickly when I have the Turbo Lever at around the 2 or 3 position.I have been skipping this check and waited for the update.On the update I noticed that the Turbo select on #1 engine was fixed to not be the master any longer. When I had Accusim installed only I ran this check before every take-off,because the flight was always the next day or so. Am I missing something in the check list??

Mark S.
Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress-Accusimed/Boeing 377 Stratocruiser-COTS/ Piper Cub-Accusimed/Cessna 172 Trainer/Piper Cherokee 180/T-6 "TEXAN"/Constellation L049

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Re: Turbo Ground Test

Post by Scott - A2A »

You don't need to go all the way to 7 on the turbos, we scaled these more linearly than the real plane due to simple limitations with controllers. This basically makes it easier to get a nice smooth turbo operation.

Just advance the throttles to about 30", then advance the turbo until you see a boost and tune. You can do this as low as 32" I go to 35".

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

N1684T
Staff Sergeant

Post by N1684T »

Thanks Scott
I will just edit my check list and do it that way.
Mark S.
Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress-Accusimed/Boeing 377 Stratocruiser-COTS/ Piper Cub-Accusimed/Cessna 172 Trainer/Piper Cherokee 180/T-6 "TEXAN"/Constellation L049

Guus
Airman

Post by Guus »

Hi All,

Thank you for the Excellent explanation !!!
For me, the "Strat." is not old-fashioned in FSX! I only recently switched from FS9.1 to FSX! (Where I flew for decades via CelNav, dead reckoning etc. with sextant and Nav. from the "Golden Age of Aviation" from "Dave Bitzer" and AE & FN ... Jacues ;-) ! What comes to my mind when you compare 2 engines can be taken: 1 + 2, 1 + 3, 1 + 4, 2 + 3, 2 + 4, 3 + 4.

Trev, I will further analyze your Excellent explanation - and the attached link -. What I notice is that you are talking about 7%. The Handbook talks about "Move Turbo Boost to 7". The "Tooltip" indicates the "Turbo Boost Selector" at 7 = 70% ! And so almost ALL gauges applicable to the Turbos (at 70%) give the MAX. limit ! So quick calibration is NECESSARY! I assume you ALSO talk about 70% instead of 7% !

And yes, first I also raised the 4 engines together to the MAP 30" ambiënt press. at the same time and equal them !

Regards, Guus.

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

No, I meant 7% not 70%. Scott has posted about this years ago.

@Guus, I have done a write up about setting the turbo boost in this post I did this morning.
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=69266
Perhaps it would be better to keep the posts in the newer thread. This one is 8 years old :)
Cheers
Trev

new reply

Return to “Boeing 377 Tech Support”