Shimmering in cockpit - COTS

A place for technical help setting up your Stratocruiser with FSX
new reply
Mikenor
Staff Sergeant

Shimmering in cockpit - COTS

Post by Mikenor »

Hi - just installed and noticed slight shimmering in the cockpit. I have all other A2A aircraft and have not seen this issue with them. Anyone else seeing this?

Thanks,
Mike

lonewulf47
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: Shimmering in cockpit - COTS

Post by lonewulf47 »

Well, most probably this is due to the dynamically vibrating cockpit panels. The cockpit is no longer a static item.
Oskar

ASUS MAXIMUS XI Hero, i9-9900K 8 Core OC 5.2 GHz, WIN10-64Bit, 32GB DDR5, Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti Strix, 2x 2 TB SSD M.2, 1x 2 TB SSD, 1 monitor 4k, AS4, EFB on remote PC

Mikenor
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mikenor »

Not the issue for me as I haven't started her yet. Noticing shimmering with cold and dark cockpit. I have a pretty high end computer/graphic card - not sure if it is my install issue or if others are seeing the same thing. Tried taking a picture but the shimmering doesn't really transfer to a pic. Thanks

lonewulf47
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by lonewulf47 »

Well, shimmering is never visible on screenshots as it usually stems from minor movements that can cause neighbouring pixels to be triggered. Not sure what causes the shimmering though. Just check how it will behave inflight.
Oskar

ASUS MAXIMUS XI Hero, i9-9900K 8 Core OC 5.2 GHz, WIN10-64Bit, 32GB DDR5, Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti Strix, 2x 2 TB SSD M.2, 1x 2 TB SSD, 1 monitor 4k, AS4, EFB on remote PC

Mikenor
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mikenor »

Decided to try to re-install the B377 but having trouble uninstalling. Tried to uninstall the "Wings of Silver B377 Statocruiser" one first and get a "Could not open INSTALL.LOG file. Then tried the COTS and am getting the same. Looks like I have a corrupt install which may also be causing my shimmering.

Scott, can you help out?

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

I don't think it is a corrupt install, but rather something with the video preferences in FSX.

If you are getting that error, then the install logs were somehow removed. I would do this:

In your FSX directory, Remove:
- A2A / B377 folder
- SimObjects / Airplanes / WoS_B377 folder
- SimObjects / Airplanes / WoS_B377_Pregnant_Guppy folder

Then look here for the installation procedure:
http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 80&t=25580

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Mikenor
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mikenor »

My fsx settings are not creating the shimmering - I own all other A2A aircraft and do not have this issue with any of those.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Well, it can because this cockpit is higher res now.

Also, 'shimmering' is the kind of thing some may notice, others it may bother, and others may not even see it. It's similar to discussions on what an acceptable framerate is. Some are OK with 15fps while others demand 30+.

I can only speak for myself than I've never noticed any shimmering effect that bothered me in the cockpit. But we should consider how the video card is setup.

Typically, things that 'shimmer' in a flight sim are terrain textures out far, and anisotropic filtering can eliminate that. Anti-Aliasing can also decrease it to an extent. Also, LOD (Levels of Detail) can go a long way to reducing this shimmer effect.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Mikenor
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mikenor »

Thanks Scott. I realized after loading her up again that the zoom factor in the cockpit was at 40% which is not what I have my other aircraft at. I adjusted to 70 and the although I still see shimmering, it is not bad.

I did try your recommendations to uninstall but still saw the program in the Windows uninstall program - then try to uninstall it again and get the same Windows pop up. Was hoping to do a complete uninstall and put a fresh install in FSX. Other than removing the folders you mentioned, do I also need to play with the reg?

Appreciate the help, thanks

Mike

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

No need to mess with the registry. I hope you are sorted and can enjoy some nice flights with your crew.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “Boeing 377 Tech Support”