Just curious . . .

For those who love to fly in multiplayer
new reply
ratty
Technical Sergeant

Just curious . . .

Post by ratty »

We post two flights a week in the Multiplayer Forum, and every one gets at least two hundred views, some over four hundred! Yet for each flight it's usually just the same small group of regulars who show up to actually take part.

I'm wondering what's in it for the rest of you - and why do we never see you online?

I had some small concerns before I first got involved, like: would I sound dumb on comms; would I mess up; worse still, would I get laughed at when I messed up?

They all turned out to be completely unfounded - well, except messing up occasionally. I found this group to be a collection of smart, funny, supportive guys with whom it's a real joy to fly. The opportunity to learn - about aircraft, and flight, and navigation, and history, and geography, and geology, and weather, about the world - is unparalleled, and we always have a blast!

So please, give us some feedback about what's in these flights for you, and what's in the way. And come join us!

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Just curious . . .

Post by Ron Attwood »

There are extroverts and introverts and every so often an introvert that forces him/herself to bite the bullet. basicly flight simming is an introverts thing. They're happy pottering around the skies on their own. But they will come and peek through the curtains, download a flight plan and fly it on their own.
I can post a flight plan on the RTWR forum and get 30 odd downloads, but only the 10-12 of the regulars turn up. I do see people online from time to time who follow us the whole route.
That's folks for ya.

Incidentally, I would love to fly with you but I don't have P3D and I hate Discord. :D
"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled"

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

Thanks, Ron. I think "that's folks" probably sums it up. I have to say, though, that I usually have even more fun flying with others than I do by myself!

As for the P3D thing, JoinFS accommodates FSX, P3D, and MSFS flawlessly; also, we've used Discord for several years now, and never had a single problem with it.

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

I thought, no, expected you'd mention JoinFS. Too much faffing for my blood. As for Discord it too much like Facebook and the rest of those kind of 'apps' trying to be all things to all people. I agree, most people like that kind of thing , well, it's modern innit?
Our group uses Teamspeak, it just does what it says on the tin.
And yes, flying with other like minded and no so like minded blokes is best. I couldn't possibly fly on my own for three hours! an hour tops.
"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled"

wv.citybilly
Airman

Post by wv.citybilly »

I'm a flight plans anonymous.

You flew from my airport KCRW recently :) Unfortunately, it's been awhile, and I forgot how to do all this, mostly due to health issues. My old computer crashes so often that I spend most of my time re-installing everything anyway.

Another day, maybe someone can get me up and flying with you guys again.

Have fun.

twsharp12
Staff Sergeant

Post by twsharp12 »

I want to, and I used to do it some, but it's just so hard to fill that block of time with my two kids. It's Sunday right after church for us which is usually spent doing something with family/kids.

Friday's simply is that I'm working. It's 1300 local for me.

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

Good question Ratty, for me it's just timing. At the spry young age of 68 I still have a job, so Friday's out. I do regularly check in to see where you guys are heading though, so I'll be one of the drop-ins who never shows up. Flight simming is a passion, but it's not my only one and the timing for the Sunday trips puts it right in the middle of prime yard work and/or resting in the sun time right up until NFL football season starts and now that's what I'll be doing until February.

I've enjoyed flying with you guys in the past and even though I'm not a Discord fan, I only use it for comms and it's fine. I don't see myself as one of the peeking around the curtain type "folks" but my flying habits are probably unusual for most of the A2A set as I do a lot of travelling in IFR mode. I'm essentially a loner anyway and don't mind flying by myself at all, because I enjoy the flight planning process and seeing the result come together in whichever airplane I'm flying. Although it's not unusual for me to fly for 2-4 hours a trip, I do find the two hour time slot for group flights to be a bit long in general, but it clearly works for the Misfits group and that's what this hobby of flight simulation is all about...do what you want and enjoy the heck out of it! It can easily be all things to all people!!

I'm sure I'll join you again...sometime... :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

I really understand what you both have to say about the day/time thing. We've wrestled with that in the past and only come up with the existing arrangement, managing to just about completely exclude our antipodean friends in the process, not to mention everyone east of Antwerp and west of Tokyo. I'm thinking we need to set up some one-off flights and test other days and times. Watch this space!

twsharp12
Staff Sergeant

Post by twsharp12 »

Around 01:00 utc would make for a nice evening flight for those in USA.. Not so good for the rest of the world though.

curtis72561
Staff Sergeant

Post by curtis72561 »

I just haven't figured out everything. I have asked questions before but received no reply. Don't understand team speak or how to set up for multi play. Many years ago I went on multi play where everyone just did their own thing and wasn't much fun. People flying against traffic and having head on all the time. I hate to use this as an example but that awful collision with Texas Raider reminds me of the old multi play. People every where. I once saw Santa and his reindeer flying by me.
Beeachcraft V35 Bonanza, Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress, Cessna C-172 Skyhawk, Cessna C-182 Skylane, Curtis P-40, North American P-51D Mustang Civilian
North American AT6 Texan, Piper PA-28 Cherokee, Piper PA-24 Comanche, Piper J-3 Cub, Supermarine Spitfire

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

curtis72561 wrote: 23 Nov 2022, 18:09 I just haven't figured out everything. I have asked questions before but received no reply. Don't understand team speak or how to set up for multi play. Many years ago I went on multi play where everyone just did their own thing and wasn't much fun. People flying against traffic and having head on all the time. I hate to use this as an example but that awful collision with Texas Raider reminds me of the old multi play. People every where. I once saw Santa and his reindeer flying by me.
Curtis: Here's a step-by-step approach for getting started on MP flights: viewtopic.php?f=79&t=63659. We use JoinFS as our network, and we use Discord for communication. We don't use Teamspeak. There are typically four or five of us on any given flight. We don't fly in close formations most of the time, so that shouldn't be a problem.

So hit that link and try it out. First thing to do is download JoinFS and Discord. Then you get Lewis to let you in on the A2A Discord channel. Then start your sim, fire up JoinFS and Discord and fly around. Any problems? Show up at a flight and we'll walk you through 'em.

Hey - what's the worst that can happen? (That's the Misfit Squadron motto, by the way).

Seeya
ATB

flapman
Staff Sergeant

Post by flapman »

Your flights are on the weekends.
I work almost all weekends.

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

flapman wrote: 24 Nov 2022, 17:26 Your flights are on the weekends.
I work almost all weekends.
Bummer. I'm retired, so I can fly on any day of the week, so long as it doesn't conflict with my motorcycle riding schedule. That's not a serious factor this time of the year, however. Most of the pals I ride with are retired also, so we schedule our rides for weekdays so as to miss the heinous Sunday afternoon traffic over Snoqualmie Pass or Stevens Pass. We typically just spend Sunday night at this nice motel in Pateros then ride home over the North Cascade Highway on Monday morning.

Still, I recommend at least preparing for a MP flight by getting the headset and logging on to JoinFS and Discord. Practice solo flights with all the kit up and running. Then, after you're starting to feel comfortable, cajole invite someone (maybe one or more of us) to join you in a flight.

I enjoy solo flights, just me and the airplane, same as I enjoy a solo motorcycle ride. But flying (or riding) with a few pals adds a whole new dimension to the experience. As we fly along in our T-6s, Cessna 182s, Spitfires, or whatever, we discuss the weather, the terrain, and a bunch of other stuff. It's friendly. Main difference with motorcycling is that We don't have comms; we're just focused on the road ahead. But after we reach our destination for the day, we break out the beers and chips and sit around in the motel parking lot, or maybe the pool, and discuss what happened on the ride. Then we go have dinner. Next day we are outta there at 06:30. Zoom zoom.

Seeya
ATB

new reply

Return to “Multiplayer”