Friday, July 15 - Yangtze River Expedition - Fifth Leg

For those who love to fly in multiplayer
new reply
ratty
Technical Sergeant

Friday, July 15 - Yangtze River Expedition - Fifth Leg

Post by ratty »

The fifth leg of our expedition takes us to Daocheng Yading Airport, which at 14,472 feet is the highest civilian airport in the world. Its single runway is 13,800 feet long. The opening of the airport in 2013 cut the journey time between Daocheng and Chengdu to one hour, which previously required a two-day bus trip.

This link: https://library.avsim.net/search.php?Se ... &Go=Search goes to versions of the airport for P3Dv1-4 and v5.

This one: https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.ph ... fid=175776 goes to a FS2004 version, which should work in FSX.

This leg is 327 nautical miles and, since I'm feeling adventurous, should be loads of fun in a Comanche or Bonanza!

Skyvector looks like: https://skyvector.com/?ll=28.1543465240 ... 921N10002E

Meet at: 1830z for a 1900z departure.

Meet on: Digital Theme Park on JoinFS.

Comms through A2A Discord channel.

Start at: Lijiang/Sanyi Airport, ZPLJ.

Aircraft: Comanche or Bonanza.

Local takeoff time: 0900.

Weather: Historic (because real time will be 2am Saturday in China).

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Friday, July 15 - Yangtze River Expedition - Fifth Leg

Post by Paughco »

@Ratty: Dunno what I'm doing wrong, but so far I've got "negative function" on trying to download and install our destination airport. I've downloaded and installed custom airports in the past, but this one is not working. Sorry about that. Looks like I'll have to put my Bonanza down on a road and taxi over to you guys at our destination.

UPDATE: You can put the airport files in any folder you want, just so long as they're in a folder that is labeled "Scenery." That little factoid came up near the end of our in-flight discussion of add-on airport downloading and adding to the flight sim. David said something about "scenery folder," and my light bulb came on. This is sorta like where your fangs come out, only it's in your brain instead of your right wrist (throttle on a motorcycle). I am good to go now. Thanks, guys!!

Seeya
ATB
Last edited by Paughco on 12 Jul 2022, 21:09, edited 1 time in total.

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

Hmmm. We'll have to see what we can do about getting you an airport; not a lot of roads up there!

DavidW
Airman First Class

Post by DavidW »

The Flightsim.com link for the FS9 airport gives me a floating runway.

I re-compiled the P3D version, using ADE, and got an okay airport for use in FSX. A runway, parking and a tower which is good enough for the Misifts. :wink:
ImageImage
ImageImage

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

I had no problem with the download that was linked on Discord at the end of our Sunday flight.

I just had to get down to the enclosed BLG files which are buried 2 levels below where they should be for 'direct access' in the scenery.cfg file (FSX, P34 V1-4)
When 'zipping up' something like this be sure the folder structure looks like this:(3 folders)

NAME---------------------- Use 7zip - Highlight this folder to 'zip', Use the 'Add to archive' option
------scenery--------------- which creates a zip file NAME.zip Use 'Extract Here' to unzip the file
------texture--------------- ready to use....add to your Scenery library

Then you can unzip in place and point directly to the NAME folder wherever you unzipped it!.

The 'top level' should be a folder with the airport name or code.
Inside that folder should be 1 or 2 folders named 'scenery' and 'texture'.
The scenery folder should contain 2 BGL files for this airport.
There is no 'texture' folder for this airport.
The top level folder can be dragged/copied into your Scenery Library location or
added via the menu system to the Scenery library and enabled. OR just copy the 2 BGL files
into an existing enabled folder in your Scenery library, which is what I did. It
will be automatically detected and enabled the next time you load the Sim.

-=GB=-

new reply

Return to “Multiplayer”