Sunday 12th September - Battle of Britain Day

For those who love to fly in multiplayer
new reply
ianfisher 101
Staff Sergeant

Sunday 12th September - Battle of Britain Day

Post by ianfisher 101 »

So this Sunday we’ll fly our annual BOB day sortie.

The Battle of Britain was a military campaign of the Second World War, in which the Royal Air Force and the Fleet Air Arm of the Royal Navy defended the United Kingdom against large-scale attacks by Nazi Germany's air force, the Luftwaffe. It has been described as the first major military campaign fought entirely by air forces.The British officially recognise the battle's duration as being from 10 July until 31 October 1940.

The primary objective of the German forces was to compel Britain to agree to a negotiated peace settlement. In July 1940, the air and sea blockade began, with the Luftwaffe mainly targeting coastal-shipping convoys, as well as ports and shipping centres such as Portsmouth. On 1 August, the Luftwaffe was directed to achieve air superiority over the RAF, with the aim of incapacitating RAF Fighter Command; 12 days later, it shifted the attacks to RAF airfields and infrastructure. As the battle progressed, the Luftwaffe also targeted factories involved in aircraft production and strategic infrastructure. Eventually, it employed terror bombing on areas of political significance and on civilians.

The Luftwaffe's Messerschmitt Bf 109E and Bf 110C fought against the RAF's workhorse Hurricane Mk I and the less numerous Spitfire Mk I; Hurricanes outnumbered Spitfires in RAF Fighter Command by about 2:1 when war broke out. The Bf 109E had a better climb rate and was up to 40 mph faster in level flight than the Rotol (constant speed propeller) equipped Hurricane Mk I, depending on altitude. The speed and climb disparity with the original non-Rotol Hurricane was even greater. By mid-1940, all RAF Spitfire and Hurricane fighter squadrons converted to 100 octane aviation fuel, which allowed their Merlin engines to generate significantly more power and an approximately 30 mph increase in speed at low altitudes through the use of an Emergency Boost Override. In September 1940, the more powerful Mk IIa series 1 Hurricanes started entering service in small numbers.This version was capable of a maximum speed of 342 mph some 20 mph more than the original (non-Rotol) Mk I, though it was still 15 to 20 mph slower than a Bf 109.

Our sortie today starts from RAF North Weald, then out to the Thames Estuary, south to patrol Dover and the English channel ports before returning over Southampton and landing at RAF Westhampnett.

Meet at: 1730z for a 1800z departure.

Meet on: Digital Theme Park on JoinFS.

Comms through A2A Discord channel.

Start at: North Weald EGSX

Local takeoff time: 0900

Weather: Real.

https://skyvector.com/?ll=51.3806953893 ... SAM%20EGHR

Spitfire : P-51 : L-049 : C172 : C182 : PA-24 : PA-28 : T-6 : P-40 : V35B : J-3 : P-47 : Anson : 504K : Albatros : B377 : HE-219

new reply

Return to “Multiplayer”